Mineral lick

Simon2206

Hey guy's.
Can anyone point me towards a good mineral lick for fallow please. Preferably a block rather than a bucket

KNZ salt/mineral blocks are meant to be good. Red deer like them. I've tried but never managed to get wild deer to use them though.

Hey guy's.
Can anyone point me towards a good mineral lick for fallow please. Preferably a block rather than a bucket

I found some pink Himalayan salt blocks on the bay from a horsey supplier and hung them on the trunk of conifer trees, the Fallow went for them.
Also I have discovered that pouring liquid molasses about 6ft high on the bark of conifers is a good draw.
Use a tree that leans slightly so the liquid runs all the way down soaking into the cracks of the bark.
The deer can smell the molasses on the wind and stand nibbling at the bark for sometime.
This together with a pile of windfall apples makes a good draw as shown on cameras.

Willowbank

I found some pink Himalayan salt blocks on the bay from a horsey supplier and hung them on the trunk of conifer trees, the Fallow went for them.
Also I have discovered that pouring liquid molasses about 6ft high on the bark of conifers is a good draw.
Use a tree that leans slightly so the liquid runs all the way down soaking into the cracks of the bark.
The deer can smell the molasses on the wind and stand nibbling at the bark for sometime.
This together with a pile of windfall apples makes a good draw as shown on cameras.

Willowbank
Thank you Willowbank. I'll get some ordered and give it a go 🤞

Equestrian or farm supplies sell the big pink natural rock salt on a rope or the Rockies smaller mineral bricks cheap.
Both work well

Close to the sea, I have concluded that there is plenty of salt on vegetation for their needs. I have had trail cams overlooking salt blocks, and aniseed, and videoed roe completely ignoring them.

Last edited:
Thank you Willowbank. I'll get some ordered and give it a go 🤞
I tried the Himalayan pink rock salt last year also. I bought it rough in big lumps, far cheaper. I put it out on tree stumps and on trees cut off 4-5ft off the ground. The crushed bits I put in plastic buckets, cut a few slots in the bases and let it percolate out onto the stump.
Make no mistake it does not work overnight. It takes time for the deer to find it but they then come to it.

Darlingtons on the wirral. Supply the Agricultural merchants with pink rock salt.
It's called Darli licks.
Just remember if the landowner has any woodland grants . Putting anything to attract deer into that area Is a no.
You are there to control the deer not drag deer in from outside the area

The landowners grant's might have to be paid back in full

The horsey salt blocks from scats or similar work on fallow, also used KNZ and the bushwear ones. Once they find them they will use them. I fit some all thread into a fence post and dig that in block goes on top.

I don't understand putting out salt licks as an attractant. I have 2 salt licks on my ground but only as a supplement. The moose use them but as Buchan said it does not sound like a good idea to have loads of deer using the same lick

I use mineral blocks as a supplement for the Fallow in the winter months. I use the Bushwear large blocks, plus salt licks in one or two areas on the estate.

Back