New release?

8x57

Distinguished Member
What makes them think its a new release. Boar have been roaming Somerset and parts of Wiltshire for years. Good old Roedinator shot three one afternoon just outside Bruton almost ten years ago, and we also shouldn't forget about the poor guy who was killed on the M4 just outside Swindon when his car ran into one.

Cranhill

Back the 1980's I had patch over run with Roe at Ifield near Crawley, there was an escape (sow) from a local Boar farm, the Boar found and shot, when the farmer came to collect it, saw it and said "that's not one of mine, wrong sex and no ear tags"

VSS

It's the culture we live in, unfortunately. It's always necessary to blame someone whenever something happens. Probably the boar just wandered into the area of their own accord.

A1Decoy.co.uk

Is it illegal to release them as the are an indigenous species? They tried to prosecute the owner when the lacs let them out near Tiverton. And CPS withdrew the case when that was pointed out to them. No it was not me.Just saying.

mudman

Is it illegal to release them as the are an indigenous species? They tried to prosecute the owner when the lacs let them out near Tiverton. And CPS withdrew the case when that was pointed out to them. No it was not me.Just saying.
i think they do not fall under any invasive species legislation, but might well fall under whatever law applies to farm stock and release/ escape of same. The authorities have often put wild boar under the convient heading of feral pig which suites them from many different angles. Some populations of ‘wild boar’ no doubt do contain a high % of domestic pig genes, but others do look very much like the real deal (FOD SW Scotland).

BearStalker

In my, limited, experience, I have found that pigs, domestic or wild boar, are, in fact 'escape artists'. If you had ever spent much time around pigs, you would agree. They can find the smallest hole in a fence or lean against a fence until it develops a weak spot and breakout there.

Wild Boar are not new to the UK. They were still being hunted by Mary Queen of Scots. They have been re-populated for their great tasting meat, and have escaped back into the wild.

Jon P

Pure breed wild boar kept in captivity are licensed under the dangerous wild animals act, lots have been cross bred with Tamworth and called Iron Age pigs, once pure bred wild boar is diluted enough they no longer need a license. To keep any boar / pig in the U.K. you need to have a government CPH number and record all moves on the BPex database, there is also a 20 day standstill of moves once new pigs come into a premises, so there could be a few offences If deliberately dumped .

Dickie

All this is only relevant if they came from captive stock, I shouldn’t imagine it would be that hard to make and set a trap in FOD then shift them it’s not far away🐷