Night Vision

Dan Newcombe

Just pondering a NV unit for rabbits, mainly on a .22.

Would I be better with a Yukon or a Pard (type thing, that's the price bracket I'm after). Like the idea of an add on because I can potentially use it on other scopes (Nightforces if that makes a difference) but realistically it will be on the .22 so a Yukon is a bit cheaper and fits the bill without being a faff!

Thanks

Dan

I have never tried a Yukon but can recommend the Pard NV007, so easy to just clip on/off with the bayonet fitment and very good at night with its own IR, provided you marry it to the right scope.

Yukon might be marginally cheaper than a Pard second hand, but not new. As has been said Pard works very well - across several scopes. NF should be OK, the 50yd parallax being the biggest limiter.

Check out the pard nv008.
It is dedicated like the Yukon and about the same money. There is a group buy going on uk night vision forum that puts them down to £520 at the moment

Reactions: C.J
Don't think the Yukon photon is less faff
Mounting is a nightmare. But once you have it, it's ok.

Just pondering a NV unit for rabbits, mainly on a .22.

Would I be better with a Yukon or a Pard (type thing, that's the price bracket I'm after). Like the idea of an add on because I can potentially use it on other scopes (Nightforces if that makes a difference) but realistically it will be on the .22 so a Yukon is a bit cheaper and fits the bill without being a faff!

Thanks

Dan
Rabbits with a .22 or foxes out to 200 pard, further look for a secondhand wardy.

Add ons are very handy use my ward over 5-6 rifles

With a top notch compatible scope, and external IR such as the Solaris SRX, the Pard is a serious alternative to the Ward as a few of us have found out. A very versatile unit.

I have a photon on 22lr hour rabbits I have changed my photon lens for a 58mm camera lens with adapter and it works very well at night with a bigger I.r but I'm thinking of getting a pard to use on everything as I like night shooting

I spent last night and today testing a PARD NV008 on a Tikka T1X 22 rimfire
I had the same requirement as the OP - a single, not stupidly expensive scope that would be suitable for shooting rabbits at any time of day or night without the need for attachments of any kind
My verdict is that the PARD NV008 is very well suited to that task and mine will be staying on the Tikka
Picture quality at night was never going to be an issue - it's the same camera, display and illuminator as in the NV007 add-on and that gives great images of rabbits using the onboard IR illuminator out to 100-125 yards
The big question was, would the longer focal length objective lens on the 008 give enough magnification and would the picture quality in daylight be good enough to see enough detail on the target to make accurate shots repeatably.
The answer to those questions is a definite yes.
A decent glass scope is always going to produce a more detailed image than a digital scope, but the image produced by NV008 is more than good enough for rabbits on a rimfire and, IMHO, foxes on centrefire out to more than 200 yards.
Get over to the NVuk forum and get into the group buy. RRP will be £599, group buy price at the moment is £520, but the more people that get into the group buy, the lower the price will become.
It's nearest competitor price wise is the Yukon Photon RT and the 008 is an order of magnitude better than the photon in daytime and, with enough IR illumination, a whole lot sharper than the Photon for NV work.
For sure, many people will not want to give up their good glass scopes and will use the NV007 rear add-on rather than a dedicated digital scope so it's probable that there will be fewer NV008s sold than NV007 add-ons, but for people like me who just can't get comfortable with a rear add-on,and have little regard for front add-ons the NV008 is the best solution to the problem.
The only other scope that could do this would be the ATN X Sight 4K pro, but that is at least £330 more expensive, and ATNs poor service and support are legendary

Cheers

Bruce

The day time image was my main concern because my photon even with the extreme conversation still ain't good during the day cheers I'll look into the 08

I considered a dedicated night vision rifle, however I figured add on would best suit me.

I purchased a nite sight Eagle and I have to say I am impressed with it. Easy to use, bolts on very quickly and using it is very good too. Takes a bit of fiddling to get it set uo

But for me it is ideal, no matter which rifle I’m taking out, I just clip it on

Having looked at the NV008 over the last few days it isn't as good as the ATN 4K, but then it is also cheaper. The solution to support is to order an ATN scope from a dealer that gives support rather than just passing the responsibility back to ATN. After all that is why manufacturers use resellers, to promote AND support their products.

Having looked at the NV008 over the last few days it isn't as good as the ATN 4K, but then it is also cheaper. The solution to support is to order an ATN scope from a dealer that gives support rather than just passing the responsibility back to ATN. After all that is why manufacturers use resellers, to promote AND support their products.
There's still issues with the atn 4k with software but I'm sure they will iron it out in time

Cliff,
I'm sure you try very hard to provide the best support you can for your customers and I wish you every success in your enterprise However, if the manufacturer doesn't support the re-seller then there is a limit to what companies like yours can do.
ATN have a very poor reputation in this regard.
Night Vision Guys (Carl Moore) and Scott Country both stopped stocking ATN products for this very reason, so there are now only a couple of companies in the UK actually selling X Sight 4K models and a lot who, when given the chance to stock ATN products simply said "Nah, too much hassle"

Cheers

Bruce

Back