Nightvision storage

Drum123

How does everyone store their digital night vision scopes, i tend to leave my batteries in but ive noticed there must be quite a drain on the battery even when turned off.Is it ok to remove the batteries for storage? Will it maintain all the settings / zero if there are no batteries in for a week or 2?
Paul

Clive Ward

How does everyone store their digital night vision scopes, i tend to leave my batteries in but ive noticed there must be quite a drain on the battery even when turned off.Is it ok to remove the batteries for storage? Will it maintain all the settings / zero if there are no batteries in for a week or 2?
Paul
Hi Paul,

It's always best to remove the batteries. Most digital / thermal devices without a mechanical on/off switch will have a small parasitic drain. The unit should remember your settings in permanent memory, but as a backup it's always a good idea to make a note of your settings, zero co-ordinates, etc. should you ever need to reset the unit.

If you leave the batteries in you run the risk of forgetting they are in there and then suffering leakage, corrosion, etc.

Cheers

Clive

Nick703

Drone pro on my 223, only remove batteries when flat and replace straight away, I’m usually out once or twice a week though.

Drum123

Thank you very much chaps.I think i'll start removing them if theyre not going to be used for a week or more.
Paul

MarinePMI

I suppose it depends on the device. Some drain, some do not.

My MAWL will eat a battery in a few days if left in. My two PVS-14's and NOX35 seem to do fine with leaving them in.

All that being said, none of my devices get anything but Lithium (Energizer) batteries. One, they won't leak. Two, if for some reason there is ever leakage (which is pretty much impossible), Energizer warranties any device damaged by their Lithium batteries. Sometimes the Energizers are more expensive than others...but it is a nice piece of mind, knowing that their warranty covers any damage, especially in a rather expensive piece of electronics.

JMTCW...

ETA: And these storage cages are the bee's knees for keeping spare batteries in your pack. They can never make contact with each other, and the lithiums will hold their charge for 20yrs if they're not inadvertently discharged. I keep these in my vehicles and my shooting pack. Since they're flat and compact, they do very well in my pack for the different size batteries I carry (AA, AAA, CR-123).

Storacell

Last edited: