Not Looking Like 21 For Big Unlock

Tazz

As predicted yet more leaks today re the Unlocking on the 21 June, experience would say the bad news leaks equate to bad news to follow. However while I am not happy with the possibility of another month under the current restrictions it’s a long way better than lockdowns. I watch with interest at the news feeds “Dancing around the issue” where we keep talking about geographical “Hotspots” and “People” being hospitalised who should have been vaccinated but chose not to, but we don’t call out who in the main they are, the news feeds would rather be politically correct than factual at times IMHO

mealiejimmy

I'm quite happy with the present situation as my lifestyle does not depend on the additional activities I might be able to participate in after so called "freedom day"
Personally, I'd like to see all the adult population vaccinated and a travel ban in and out of almost every country on the globe before we unlock any further.

Cheers

Bruce

Tazz

I'm quite happy with the present situation as my lifestyle does not depend on the additional activities I might be able to participate in after so called "freedom day"
Personally, I'd like to see all the adult population vaccinated and a travel ban in and out of almost every country on the globe before we unlock any further.

Cheers

Bruce
Yes the current level of restriction don’t really limit my current lifestyle and if we have to do this for another month that’s not too onerous. What I don’t want is “Lockdown 4” or a “Lockdown too far” as we might refer to it!!

B&W FOX

In a lot of area's only 54%-67% of people entitled to the vaccine have taken it.
Based on that, it will never reduce any day soon as new variants come along to add to the mix.
Live your life as best as you can in the circumstances.

mchughcb

Yes the current level of restriction don’t really limit my current lifestyle and if we have to do this for another month that’s not too onerous. What I don’t want is “Lockdown 4” or a “Lockdown too far” as we might refer to it!!
I'm getting quite used to being locked up 22-23 hours a day. Limited to 5km and no government supplied income but still getting full bills for outgoings and insurance.

I'm quite confident now I could live in a prison and have to pay for it too for at least 20 years assuming my health holds up.

Tazz

I'm getting quite used to being locked up 22-23 hours a day. Limited to 5km and no government supplied income but still getting full bills for outgoings and insurance.

I'm quite confident now I could live in a prison and have to pay for it too for at least 20 years assuming my health holds up.
We all have a different take on restrictions depending largely on where we live and what we do. I would rather get back to “normality” but that looks increasingly further away

mealiejimmy

In a lot of area's only 54%-67% of people entitled to the vaccine have taken it.
Based on that, it will never reduce any day soon as new variants come along to add to the mix.
There are certainly areas of the country where vaccine uptake has been lower than in others, but I don't think it's correct to say that covers "a lot" of the country.
In fact, the large majority of people in the UK who have been offered the vaccine have taken up the offer.
Those who, for any reason, refuse it may well contract Covid and, assuming they don't die from it will also develop immunity.
It is believed that, at the moment, over 80% of the adult population have Covid antibodies and the vast majority of positive tests and (much fewer) hospitalisations are of much younger people.
Mutations leading to more deadly variants are a major concern - hence my desire to close the borders.

Cheers

Bruce

mchughcb

We all have a different take on restrictions depending largely on where we live and what we do. I would rather get back to “normality” but that looks increasingly further away
Normality these days is watching people bashed by the police for not wearing masks outside. Saves me having to pay for UFC pay per view these days. They seem to go soft on the BLM marches but the smaller pensioner crowds get a right kicking. I sit here watching on TV thinking well at least the police are keeping me safe bashing pensioners and the clergy.

Tazz

Normality these days is watching people bashed by the police for not wearing masks outside. Saves me having to pay for UFC pay per view these days. They seem to go soft on the BLM marches but the smaller pensioner crowds get a right kicking. I sit here watching on TV thinking well at least the police are keeping me safe bashing pensioners and the clergy.

I worked in Melbourne for 8 months a few years back and stay in touch with a group of guys out there, to a man they have not been impressed with the National Government approach and even less so with Victoria. They all see the lockdowns and level of restrictions as being way over the top for the level of cases and deaths, not helped by a pretty poor performance on vaccinations

mchughcb

I worked in Melbourne for 8 months a few years back and stay in touch with a group of guys out there, to a man they have not been impressed with the National Government approach and even less so with Victoria. They all see the lockdowns and level of restrictions as being way over the top for the level of cases and deaths, not helped by a pretty poor performance on vaccinations
They are not over top. Compared to North Korea they are pretty mild. North Korea has subject detection and subject elimination strategy.

timbrayford

Until we stand up for our civil rights these restrictions will remain - possibly forever. What amazes me is that after 15 months + of restrictions and those silly little masks that there is anyone left who actually believes that it works- FFS we still have COVID & one thing I agree with the so called experts on it will now probably be around forever!

Freeforester

July opening, hols for those inclined abroad in the sun, back with a new strain in autumn; I’m not sure the problem is going to come this month or the next, but later in the year, the “last lockdown” gambit of the govt might get stress-tested.

Glad I’m personally breaking the cycle, but it has to be a concern if a new variant does render the jab programme somewhat redundant. Mode of function of prevention spread and of reduction of reproduction of the virus isn’t prioritised, which I feel is a glaring error in the strategy; we now are 18 months in and human/societal behaviour seems unwilling to be sufficiently rearranged as to be of great assistance in preventing new outbreaks, much like the mask idiocy. Blood group and basic healthy condition are advantageous, but prevention still beats cure, IMO.

Unpalatable as it may be, the ‘Leicester lockdown’ approach might return, for areas of persistent flare-ups; I don’t suppose we’ll be having a referendum on the idea though, the ‘high density’ 🤔 population areas might not be overly keen on the notion.

Last edited:

Tazz

Boris hinting yet more this morning re “data” not looking good. My money is on him telling us tomorrow that “some” restrictions will go ahead and be lifted but not all, they will go on for another month and another review just MHO

Lampwick

I think there are certain elements in our society who quite like being in the current situation. 80% pay for doing nothing, grants left right and centre, bounce back loans to spend as you wish (and I suspect many wont be paid back) I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t an awful amount of fraud being committed out there and any change to the current position may upset that apple cart!

its an odd one around here, most trades I talk to have never been busier? Most take aways have never been busier, reopened pubs, restaurants have never been busier, staycations are booked solid and a few I know will have had their busiest “2” years ever, even after the lockdowns!!

timbrayford

I think there are certain elements in our society who quite like being in the current situation. 80% pay for doing nothing, grants left right and centre, bounce back loans to spend as you wish (and I suspect many wont be paid back) I wouldn’t be surprised if there isn’t an awful amount of fraud being committed out there and any change to the current position may upset that apple cart!

its an odd one around here, most trades I talk to have never been busier? Most take aways have never been busier, reopened pubs, restaurants have never been busier, staycations are booked solid and a few I know will have had their busiest “2” years ever, even after the lockdowns!!
Classic pent up demand!

Apthorpe

This is incorrect or out of date. As of 3rd June, the lowest uptake among over 40s is in six London boroughs - the lowest being 65%. Apart from them, everywhere has over 80% uptake.

What is more worrying is the reported and anecdotal high levels of vaccine avoidance among NHS staff - especially in London. This is worrying not only because of COVID risks, but because it indicates worrying levels of anti-scientific, conspiracist, idiocy among a group which is supposed to be more scientific and medically educated than the man in the street.

Tazz

This is incorrect or out of date. As of 3rd June, the lowest uptake among over 40s is in six London boroughs - the lowest being 65%. Apart from them, everywhere has over 80% uptake.

What is more worrying is the reported and anecdotal high levels of vaccine avoidance among NHS staff - especially in London. This is worrying not only because of COVID risks, but because it indicates worrying levels of anti-scientific, conspiracist, idiocy among a group which is supposed to be more scientific and medically educated than the man in the street.
I agree with your points, my frustration is the (Groups) that are causing the local hot spots are not being called out in the main news feeds, if it were that the government was getting to these people more slowly or they were being discriminated against in some way regarding the vaccination program it would be the lead news story every day ( Unless of course Boris had gone for another swim)

rafael fach

I was talking to a self employed bricklayer yesterday he hasn't lost a days work in all this and the government is throwing money at him 25k to date its understandable why he wants this to continue