Ponchos in highseats?

activeviii

i used my poncho yesterday for the first time in a long time. mate was in a full length wax coat.
My god didnt it rain. what i found was the hood is to big, guess it would be ok with a tin lid on me head. it is a little noisy but my thought is, if its raining then the animals will not be hearing to well as the rain in the trees and on their ears will knock their ability to hear.

it must have been ok as there's my fallow in the chiller and nothing for mateys. he had a fox so happy with that but he got a soaking for his trouble.

there are poppers down the sides to stop it flapping and a draw cord on the inside to pull it in. put a cap on and it works ok.

you can get high seat umbrellas that clip to the tree if that helps.

stratts

I had a rummage round my garage tnite and found an army poncho i forgot i had that i used as a tarp when wild camping a couple of years back. It's a proper big thick old thing and is quite noisy when you move about but like you said, with the rain noise on the trees etc it should be ok in a seat.

​Only one way to find out and hopefully it'll not be needed too often!!

paul o'

carry a usmc one and being yank its camo lol its very light folds 6x6 " in its own pack, my uk one that is a better basher for sleeping under than a rain suit! but if its that bad i bail :eek:

weeman

Strap a fishing brolly to the highs eat then your kept dry and rifle dry too there as known huge.

palmer_mike

My highseats are covered so getting wet is not an issue. The big issue for us is the cold where temperatures can fall to -18c.

I have just invested in one of these bags......................I hope they work.

http://www.hammanns-jaegershop.de/J...r-den-Ansitz/Fjaellraeven-ULV-Ansitzsack.html
Now that looks really really good! Are they available over here (or anything similar?)

Edit
forget that, just had a search and the cheapest I can see them for is around £200. Think ill just shiver like normal!

Last edited:

Adamant

My highseats are covered so getting wet is not an issue. The big issue for us is the cold where temperatures can fall to -18c.

I have just invested in one of these bags......................I hope they work.

http://www.hammanns-jaegershop.de/J...r-den-Ansitz/Fjaellraeven-ULV-Ansitzsack.html

Those ansitzsacks are superb - I've used them in various cold places when sitting out for boar, there's room for the dog too in some of them. The Norwegians have a similar kind of thing for reindeer hunting in temperatures of -30.

I have to say that high seats are one of the few places where the otherwise completely useless Ridgeline Monsoon smock is good, as it's waterproof, with a sensible hood and long enough to cover your lap. Utter crap for stalking in though unless you actually like being in a sauna suit.

Mostly though I'd rather guage out my eyeballs with a spoon than sit in a high seat for any length of time, rain or shine.

Adam.

paul o'

had one of the german bags years ago . but its easy to forget you cant walk in it when the carp buzzer go's off :eek:. just got a rusky bib for this year see how it go's