Potential lead ban?

wildfowler.250

So, possibly a how long is a piece of string question but.. folk seem fairly certain that a ban on lead bullets is likely,(given how wildfowling went I wouldn’t be too surprised).

But what I do wonder is whether this will likely only impact meat going into the game dealers? Or do you think there will be a blanket ban on their use on either deer or possibly leased land/all land? Shooting the odd deer a year for the freezer so I hope it’s not a blanket ban but interested to hear what people think.

(Main disappointment would’ve be that I think the smaller .22 calibers would struggle shoot a to be roe/Scotland legal with a copper bullet?).

Pedro

I would think that the legislators, if they are going for a reduction in lead would go where the most lead is spread about initially (unless they just ban it full stop). As you say, wildfowling has already gone "non-toxic" although the way it's done is different in Scotland (of course). So you would think that shotgun ammunition would be next in line if they think along those lines. However, if there's any thoughts of the legislators not wanting to poo in their own nest, maybe not. I expect we'd be surprised by the number of politicians who wield a shotgun occasionally in the game season.

Or perhaps they will do it because lead has been proven to irretrievably harm the eco-system and our insides. Or am I just being silly now?

Orion

(Main disappointment would’ve be that I think the smaller .22 calibers would struggle shoot a to be roe/Scotland legal with a copper bullet?).
Would .243 also have a problem with the 100gr minimum? Presumably a monolithic bullet of that weight might have stabilisation issues in standard twist barrels?

wildfowler.250

Would .243 also have a problem with the 100gr minimum? Presumably a monolithic bullet of that weight might have stabilisation issues in standard twist barrels?
I’m not well versed enough to say but would be very interested to know. .243 usually struggles with 100 grains at the best of times?

enfieldspares

My 6mm Remington Parker Hale wouldn't stabilise either 100 grain Nosler Partition nor 100 grain coated Remington Bonded Core. So I'd imagine that, yes, it'd be equally unsuccessful with non-lead in 100 grain.

wildfowler.250

well hopefully it won’t come through. One bullet here and there stalking shouldn’t make much difference. From a food “health” point of view, I could see the public/consumers arguing against lead but otherwise a change doesn’t seem that worthwhile. There does seem to be more and more non toxic bullets advertised though. I can see the argument for getting ahead of the game but at the same time, may be better to resist it rather than just accept it’s coming..?

Roestalker39

So, possibly a how long is a piece of string question but.. folk seem fairly certain that a ban on lead bullets is likely,(given how wildfowling went I wouldn’t be too surprised).

But what I do wonder is whether this will likely only impact meat going into the game dealers? Or do you think there will be a blanket ban on their use on either deer or possibly leased land/all land? Shooting the odd deer a year for the freezer so I hope it’s not a blanket ban but interested to hear what people think.

Not to worry just keep paying the basc fees , that’s all that matters

kes

If one is of a mind, all individual threats such as lead etc etc etc can be seen as diversions to see the end of lawful shooting - the 'death by a thousand cuts' syndrome.
If it were one issue you could see that for what it may be.
This is no single issue.

caberslash

California banned lead ammunition for hunting a while ago. Barnes bullets are apparently very popular with hunters there.

Here is the CDC page for copper and its harmful affects (and potential) on human health: ATSDR - Public Health Statement: Copper

If UK authorities are really concerned about lead in ammunition then bowhunting should be legalised. Arrow shafts are made from carbon and expandable broadheads are stainless steel.

Another point, I would be very impressed from a technical standpoint if a system was developed to tell what type of bullet was used on a deer, but as a taxpayer, very upset.

slider

All the FLS (formally Forestry Commission Scotland rangers) are moving away from .243 as they will soon be required to use non lead ammunition

Redleg

Not sure is anyone is aware but just been sent this..!

"I have been made aware today that BASC and the countryside alliance have agreed a voluntary ban on lead shot on game shooting from 2024.
This will immediately have an affect on non steel proof gun prices as well as put another nail in the head of British game shooting.
The organisations as they have done to shooting that they did to hunting.
This was something that Europe was campaigning and now we have left Europe we should not have to obey those rules.
I expand on this by saying I am not adverse to lead being phased out but steel is not a suitable replacement. It is too hard and wounds a lot of birds"

riddick

Not sure is anyone is aware but just been sent this..!

"I have been made aware today that BASC and the countryside alliance have agreed a voluntary ban on lead shot on game shooting from 2024.
This will immediately have an affect on non steel proof gun prices as well as put another nail in the head of British game shooting.
The organisations as they have done to shooting that they did to hunting.
This was something that Europe was campaigning and now we have left Europe we should not have to obey those rules.
I expand on this by saying I am not adverse to lead being phased out but steel is not a suitable replacement. It is too hard and wounds a lot of birds"
Basc voluntary lead ban :doh:

leec6.5

There is naff all wrong with lead free, been using it for over 10 years, I can’t see what all the yowling is all about, it’s just another cartridge, pull the trigger and it will go bang and something will fall over.