Quail?

pj1

Plenty of farmed and pet quail but as far as I'm aware no wild populations

McKenzie

I've been shooting quail over pointers in East Lothian. There were a couple of wild coveys around but I must admit to declining the shots offered; they seemed to be smaller than starlings & I couldn't really see the point of shooting them other than to say that you'd done it. There were loads of coveys of Grey partridge & they were far more fun to hunt; we would allow ourselves one brace each per year.

A Guy Out West

What kind of quail are you talking about?

I've been shooting quail over pointers in East Lothian. There were a couple of wild coveys around but I must admit to declining the shots offered; they seemed to be smaller than starlings & I couldn't really see the point of shooting them other than to say that you'd done it. There were loads of coveys of Grey partridge & they were far more fun to hunt; we would allow ourselves one brace each per year.

old keeper

Years ago I tried quail on a shoot I was keepering, all went well till release, I took a lot of trouble filtering them out, never saw them again!

Siggy

Years ago I tried quail on a shoot I was keepering, all went well till release, I took a lot of trouble filtering them out, never saw them again!

When I was a kid back in the 80's I remember trying to see Quail around Prawle Point, South Devon, which I think I had heard about through the local Birdwatching clubs atlas or the yearly report. I didn't see them then and I don't know if they are still there

Cheers

Siggy.

Blakey

Likewise - during the 80s we reared 150 Bobwhite Quail in my local gun club. Once released we never saw them again! Maybe they dropped of exhaustion in mid Atlantic as they headed back for the US!!!

countrryboy

I thought bobtail quail were meant to hold like stink.

Have heard of gundog trainers putting them in/around there training pens and as long as u have a calling pair are meant to all come back every night to the coop but live relatively 'wild' throu the day, so ideal for pointing or hunting dogs.

A Guy Out West

That's too bad, you guys are missing out on one of the finer things in life. Quail hunting with a pointing dog is some good cover, fun fit for a King.

TURNBOLT

Yes,we get them as a summer migrant,late on mid to end of july. in winter same fields are visited by golden plover.

A Guy Out West

What species of quail? We have at least 6 species in the US and none of them migrate.

I just Googled it, your quail looks to be even smaller than ours. Very strange that they migrate. Perhaps they can't deal with your wet winters.

Last edited:

enfieldspares

Two things that we can shoot but only do one are snipe and golden plover. In fact I don't know anyone who has ever shot golden plover. Although I have shot snipe, walked up, over dogs. But it was in Scotland about twenty-five plus years ago.

nell

Seen them here in the borders, not sure what species, but definitely quail, flushed and flew low in front of the combine!!!

The fourth Horseman

Put some quail out many years ago, First time driven over the guns they thought they were starlings and never shot them. Next time out two were shot, never saw them after that.
I have shot Goldens thirty years ago near the NEC, there were about 100 amongst a big flock of Lapwings, very nice to eat but never shot one since. Shot loads of snipe when we were in our teens and also in Ireland but not for twenty years since that.