Ranger v Hilux v D-Max

The new D-Max is an awesome, well rounded machine. In my opinion, Isuzu are the only manufacturer that has made advancements based on customer feedback rather than fashion statements. I have a 2016 Blade and my brother has the 2021 VCross. I thought I had a good truck until I got into his. It is unbelievably capable off road, unbelievably smooth on it and has every feature you could ever want without feeling like the inside of a Chelsea tractor.

This will be interesting when it lands though...

Your grass has to be fake, surely 😧 ;)

I have an Isuzu (from the one before) and I'm similarly pleased with it!
lol fake grass ,how did you notice that with such a handsome vehicle on show, jocking aside I get comments on a daily bases on how nice it looks

• Haha
Reactions: csl
Well, after test driving and reading various things on t'interweb, I ordered a new Hilux.
I'm a creature of habit, and despite trying, I can't drag myself away from Toyota.
Still, time to change my mind, with delivery anticipated late Sept '22, and no money changing hands 'til then.

Well, after test driving and reading various things on t'interweb, I ordered a new Hilux.
I'm a creature of habit, and despite trying, I can't drag myself away from Toyota.
Still, time to change my mind, with delivery anticipated late Sept '22, and no money changing hands 'til then.
Wow that's one hell of a wait, Is that the same for all Toyota dealers

A friend of mine who is the WRM for South west Scotland said that the Ford Rangers were abysmal and were always in the workshop. They seems to be a few Hi-lux's turning up now in the FLS fleet.

Ordered last March and arrived two weeks ago, well worth the wait.
Im thinking about another one because of the new engine, I just hope its better than the last one I had, 2 new rear bumpers, New add Blue tank, and engine rebuild due to a fault on number 3 cylinder.
I can't fault the L200 I have now but its just over 2yrs old now and I only keep them for 3yrs and with Mitsubishi pulling out the UK its time to move on

A friend of mine who is the WRM for South west Scotland said that the Ford Rangers were abysmal and were always in the workshop. They seems to be a few Hi-lux's turning up now in the FLS fleet.
I do wonder if the Ranger is more suited to predominantly on road use. It's certainly a very nice thing to drive, and more suited to racking up motorway mileage in comfort than the Hilux.

Amorak lease finishing in 4 months started looking around Hi Lux 14 month lead time .. new Amorak out end of 22 but will be a re badged Ranger as now all going to be made in same factory , Ford Raptor doesnt come under commercial so cant get vat back :( ... Ranger Wildtrack can get for June ... not sure what to do

Amorak lease finishing in 4 months started looking around Hi Lux 14 month lead time .. new Amorak out end of 22 but will be a re badged Ranger as now all going to be made in same factory , Ford Raptor doesnt come under commercial so cant get vat back :( ... Ranger Wildtrack can get for June ... not sure what to do
I do know of an outfit getting a couple Wildtraks before then.
The new Ranger won't be in UK til 2023 I think.

After an exhaustive evaluation exercise, including Toyota, Nissan, VW, Isuzu, Mitsubishi and Ford, I now run a fleet of 4 x Isuzu D-Max and 3 x V6 hi-output VW Amaroks. The Isuzus are virtually indestructible and when the engines are warmed up and stop being so rattley, they’re fine. We have an outstanding dealership (Oliver Landpower) who we use to keep them properly maintained. I drive one of the V6 Amaroks. I have the optional lockable diff (on top of ‘Off-road’ mode) for when the going gets really bad and spectacularly comfortable optional seat upgrades. That 3.0 litre diesel is awesome and bloody quick when needed. (DPF replacement under warranty for every VW Amarok we’ve ever run) All our trucks are on the road 24/7, 365 whatever the weather. All are fitted with General Grabber AT3 tyres (good for 30k plus) which get us anywhere in the worst conditions, and all carry a tonne in the load bed and back seat combined, routinely every day. All are 2/3 off-road and 1/3 on-road. Fuel economy is surprisingly good across all our fleet. I would happily drive my top spec Amarok all day in any conditions - but……….the VW commercial vehicle dealership support network in the UK is shockingly, abysmally, stunningly, catastrophically awful (I think I’ve made that clear) and so we will eventually move to an all-Isuzu fleet. The VW Amaroks were discontinued in May this year and ours are some of the last off the line for the UK market. We’ll run them for 3 years (150k) and then trade in for D-Maxs. This is just our experience, other brands are available, other opinions equally valid etc., etc.

PS - I might even switch my personal drive to a commercial Ineos Grenadier. I test drove one of the Pre-production models and was suitably impressed.

Last edited:
I’ve had my hilux for six months and 10000 miles now. I got it because someone cancelled it so managed to get it for the pre rise price with a 22% (I think, it was the 2020 rate) NFU discount. Apparently the dealers aren’t allowed to sell cancelled orders now, they get fined by Toyota if they try.

It’s a grand car, poverty spec because it’s a work car but it still had things like radar brakes and adaptive cruise. I would have bought an Isuzu but it was way more expensive, like £5-6000 when the cost of the payment interest was added.

The bits I don’t like about it, it uses loads of adblue. Filling every 2-3000 miles. It regens constantly. Every 100 miles or so if I’m driving round forestry much. I’m quite concerned about dpfs in the future. I would rather have had an older pre-dpf one if I could have but they were all more expensive than a new one!

Attachments

• E3DDB591-29C8-463B-84B1-15BE0ABB853A.jpeg
    E3DDB591-29C8-463B-84B1-15BE0ABB853A.jpeg
    558.8 KB · Views: 17
Back