Re-chargeable dehumidifiers

Deermanagement

Just bought a couple of these after finding some light surface rust at the muzzle of one of the shotguns in a cabinet. The cabinet is installed on an interior wall but it's surprising what effect temperature differences can make. These little units are full of gel that soak up moisture and an indicator turns colour when they need a re-charge. Plug them in, they heat up, expel moisture and ready to go when showing dry.

When I received them they were showing wet and took around 24hrs to dry out but will hopefully last a few months. Just made a small bracket to sit one under a shelf within the cabinet therefore not taking up any space. They will hopefully work well, don't see why not, and better than bags of desiccant as you never know when they need replacing.

Thought they may make a good idea for anyone with humidity issues and what's to loose, cost £12.85 for two units

Attachments

• IMG_4119.JPG
    IMG_4119.JPG
    82.5 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_4118.JPG
    IMG_4118.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 69
Found them - also linky here
Are they simply silica gel in a box with an element, which when you pug it it heats up and steams the water out ?
That's basically it. Solid and gets quite warm when drying out but at least there's an indicator which when I received them, showed quite wet/full but dried out fully so hopeful they will do a job.....I'm sure they will. Just had 3 more twin sets delivered today, 2 for parents and 1 for me on the basis of what they felt like when the originals arrived. As I said, £6 odd for a unit is not bad at all........ as long as the elements last :oops:

Some years ago I did a write up on here for Meaco portable dehumidifiers. I have 2 one in each cabinet and they are excellent. Crystals change colour when wet and just plug in and they dry out. Excellent product.

D

Maybe a more reliable indicator of how wet they are, is to weigh them. The two I've just installed were 660g when I received them and after drying out they weighed 540g. So I've two indicators, weight and colour.

Maybe a more reliable indicator of how wet they are, is to weigh them. The two I've just installed were 680g when I received them and after drying out they weighed 560g. So I've two indicators, weight and colour.

Update on how these are working...... after 20 days, a unit in 2 cabinets in different parts of the house (internal walls, 1 upstairs, 1 downstairs) have gained 40 grams, one at 599 grams and one at 602 grams. If that continues in a linear fashion, it'll mean it will be 60 days before they are back to the weight I received them. I'll probably look to re-charge them on or around 45 days.

They are obviously pulling in moisture, some will be from outside the cabinet but I'm quite happy with them at the moment and maybe over time, gains will be decrease.

Back