Red Dawn

Pine Marten

Welcome Alphaandomega!

Thanks for that, I like to see attempts at elevating what we do and placing it in a more personal, in your case spiritual context. The experiential angle is really important in conveying why we hunt to those that do not, so more in that vein please! I'm more of an Artemis kind of guy than Cernunnos though....

That said, I can only assume that the fact that your article's title is shared with the awful 1984 film with Patrick Swayze is just a coincidence:

Last edited:
Welcome Alphaandomega!

Thanks for that, I like to see attempts at elevating what we do and placing it in a more personal, in your case spiritual context. The experiential angle is really important in conveying why we hunt to those that do not, so more in that vein please! I'm more of an Artemis kind of guy than Cernunnos though....

That said, I can only assume that the fact that your article's title is shared with the awful 1984 film with Patrick Swayze is just a coincidence:

Ah yes, however she is of Greek mythology and I wanted something a little more relevant for this land. She is however a fiery looking goddess indeed. How can she not be? Her dad shoots out lightening bolts when he’s ****ed off.

I get that this angle isn’t a lot of hunter’s cups of tea, but I’m looking to approach it from a different angle.
For me it goes deeper than just bang and bag.
It it didn’t then I wouldn’t do it. And for me it’s a lot more interesting this way.

I’m about to sit down with a cup of tea and watch that trailer.
It looks amazingly awful and I can’t wait.
Thanks for your comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CarlW

Beautifully written. I guess your challenge will be to maintain that level of soulfulness after you have shot ten, a hundred, a thousand deer. Night-shooting them in numbers from a truck killed a good deal of the poetry for me. Try not to lose it.

Kind regards,

Carl

Klenchblaize

Beautifully written. I guess your challenge will be to maintain that level of soulfulness after you have shot ten, a hundred, a thousand deer. Night-shooting them in numbers from a truck killed a good deal of the poetry for me. Try not to lose it.

Kind regards,

Carl
The cure is to ensure an annual Fall squirrel hunt with rifle.

K

Kind regards,

Carl
Hi Carl, thanks for the comment. I don’t think I’m going to partake in that kind of hunting. I’ll take what I need, mass slaughter does not serve me.
And as we all know, each hunt is different with its own experiences.
But again, the day I take a life for granted is the day I will stop hunting.

CarlW

Hi Carl, thanks for the comment. I don’t think I’m going to partake in that kind of hunting. I’ll take what I need, mass slaughter does not serve me.
And as we all know, each hunt is different with its own experiences.
But again, the day I take a life for granted is the day I will stop hunting.

I think that is a good philosophy. However, I find that one becomes less certain about things the more experience one gathers.

'Mass slaughter', as you put it, is sometimes an environmental or economic reality of what we do. Maintaining a one-for-the-pot approach to stalking is what I think many of us would prefer, but it is a luxury afforded to very few, simply because the right to shoot deer is often accompanied by a corresponding duty to control their numbers. In some contexts (Aussie goats, Scottish forestry, American hogs), that control can be unconfortably aggressive.

So, keep hold of the soulfulness for as long as you can, and please continue to cause the rest of us to question ourselves as to whether we still have any left.

And, yes, I agree: when you stop feeling anything at all, perhaps it is time to consider doing something else (again, if one has the luxury of making that choice).

Thanks for a great thread.

Kind regards,
Carl

Pine Marten

Ah yes, however she is of Greek mythology and I wanted something a little more relevant for this land. She is however a fiery looking goddess indeed. How can she not be? Her dad shoots out lightening bolts when he’s ****ed off.

I get that this angle isn’t a lot of hunter’s cups of tea, but I’m looking to approach it from a different angle.
For me it goes deeper than just bang and bag.
It it didn’t then I wouldn’t do it. And for me it’s a lot more interesting this way.
Hello Alphaandomega. It occurred to me that given what you're trying to convey about hunting in your own style, these two threads from my SD Archives may be interesting to you. No Cernunnos, but some Korrigans and a nod to the Cosmos!

In which the Cosmos fulfils a narrative imperative.

Pine Marten, Bilbo and his family hunt the Boar of the Korrigans

There are others apart from you on here who just hunt for the pot (and because they want to!), and that's fine. It's not realistic to expect that every stalker undertakes a full herd management programme, most people don't have the time, commitment, money, or simply inclination to make it into a job. There are many paths to this according to everyone's circumstances and preferences.

Cootmeurer

I quite enjoyed the read. I pride myself for having an above average vocabulary, but your writing left me scrambling. I always love when new vocabulary, properly applied, comes out in an article - it serves to stretch my own.

Cootmeurer

.........That said, I can only assume that the fact that your article's title is shared with the awful 1984 film with Patrick Swayze is just a coincidence:
What do you mean "AWFUL"??? 1984 was a year of great great movies - Ghostbusters, Terminator, and of course RED DAWN. There wasn't another year of this caliber until 1986 when Aliens, Top Gun, and Highlander were released........

Buckaroo8

What do you mean "AWFUL"??? 1984 was a year of great great movies - Ghostbusters, Terminator, and of course RED DAWN. There wasn't another year of this caliber until 1986 when Aliens, Top Gun, and Highlander were released........
RED DAWN is pretty much the worst video ever made!

Talking about squirrels, not only are they pests/vermin they also taste very good. So I have no problems shooting them,also give the tails to fishermen for fly tying.

Hunter5567

Welcome Alphaandomega!

WOLVERINES !!!!