Sake Finnfire II .17 HMR best ammo

Judge

I have just bought a new Finnfire II .17 HMR and wondered if anyone who has one could suggest the best ammo. I am currently using Hornady Vmax 17gr which is ok but I would have hoped for better results up to 150 yards - put about 100 rounds through it, cleaned and then the next 50 rounds produced best groups off a bipod (in a slight headwind) at 50 yards = ½”, 1¾” at 100 yards and 2½” at 150 yards. I want better accuracy at 100-150 yards - suggestions please.

bobby18

Try different brands.Mine prefers remingtons,get inch groups at 100 yds which i,m happy with,starts to drift a bit more at 150 as they are a light round.

geordieh

Hornady V max just under an inch at 100metres.Why do people keep asking what is the best ammunition for such and such a rifle.Go and buy a box of everything you can get and try them all,that is the only way to find out what what will shoot in your rifle

Judge

I ask, because this is a forum where people, especially those seeking others’ opinions, generally get a polite reply and helpful advice, which can save time and money.

FISH BOY

Dont know about the Sako, but know that the 17gr CCI TNT worked best in my CZ 455 and my pals Browning T bolt out of all the brands we could get our hands on.

Whitester

If the rifle is new try putting a box through it then cleaning it. It would also be worth checking if the barrel is truly free floating as this can have a big affect on accuracy.

there is also the limbsaver barrel band which reduced barrel vibration, at only a tenner it might be worth having a go because some(Richard Uttings ) swear by them.

Judge

Thank you for all your suggestions. Much appreciated. I shall try them all and see what works and then report back to the forum.