Sako 85 factory threaded

scotspine

Has anyone got one, plus have you fitted an ace utra moderator?
I am thinking of buying this combo, but not sure of compatibillity.
cheers

I have the 85 varmint with factory thread. M18X1 quite a fine thread with plenty of metal left. Better than the unf thread. I don't know about the ace moderators, I have a predator on mine. Can post pictures of the threads if it helps.

Thanks rabbit fingers
I read on another forum that the ace utra needed a specific type of thread/shoulder setup to ensure accurate alignment plus positive seating.Spose best thing to do is ask the dealer to look into it before I buy.My current gun has a T8, but apparently the ace can drop the decibels a few more notches.

300wsm
That's interesting...I only want an ase to protect my lugs, so not much point parting with the extra cash if it can't out score a T8.I usually have ear defenders on when practising but I i do notice a ringing in my ears if I fire the gun a few times without them.
Anyone else think the ase is no better than t8?

do all sako 85 come factory threaded now or just by special order as i am going to buy one next year sometime are t8 mods available in thread size m18x1

fly.

my 85 finnlightin .308 didn't come factory threaded but it did get a ASE Jetz fitted and it a great combo of rifle and mod. in the field it's quieter than a T8.

I considered the ace myself for the 308 but felt it wasn't worth the extra money at the time :rolleyes: , However the predator is not as quiet as I had hoped. It has 8 baffles does anyone know if the 12 baffle version would be any better I understand the predators are modular so presumably you would just need the part with the extra baffles. Don't want to hijack the thread but your question got me thinking. :)

Sold my P8 and got the Jet-Z in the end, much better and balances well.
At the time 85s didn't come screw cut so had it done myself

sako 85 threaded

i have a sako 85 which is threaded 'i use a wildcat moderater on it and find it groups very well. it is a 243
reguards dave

scotspine said:
Thanks rabbit fingers
I read on another forum that the ace utra needed a specific type of thread/shoulder setup to ensure accurate alignment plus positive seating.Spose best thing to do is ask the dealer to look into it before I buy.My current gun has a T8, but apparently the ace can drop the decibels a few more notches.

I have a dim memory reading on another forum - I think it comes with a specific shoulder fitting which can be lost/left off if you get one 2nd hand, but the dodgy thing is it will still screw on without it.

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Will phone a dealer tomorrow to get the lowdown.I should stick with the gun I've got but I fancy the 85 and ase utra.Better flog my tikka first......

The ASE UTRA Jet Z Compact fits fine on the factory threaded Sako 85. Indeed Sako recomend the unit.

Not designed specifically for hunting but for Police/Military use.

Stan

smullery said:
The ASE UTRA Jet Z Compact fits fine on the factory threaded Sako 85. Indeed Sako recomend the unit.

Not designed specifically for hunting but for Police/Military use.

Thanks for that.
Sako 85 plus .25 ase utra for me then...tikka t3 anyone?

Have a T3 Varmint with ASE Jet Z Compact on the front. The ballance point is right by the front swivel so it might be a bit heavy for some at 12.5 lbs but is very well balanced on the sticks.
You won't go wrong with the Jet Z

Jonathon

I have sako 85 6.5 x 55 great rifle came factory threaded fitted with jet z mod
interesting story behind it, I ordered it from sportsman, 4 months later had phone call to say it had arrived, ordered stainless, synthetic stock, checked with them they had everything, ( a 5000 pound order,) drove the 150 mile round trip, they dragged the box out opened it up and guess what, a wood stock and not stainless, the swarovski scope was ment to be ballistic turrt and illuminated reticule. wrong !! no illuminated reticule, so after a lot of phone calls told it would be another 3 months to get the gun I had ordered.
Eventually did a deal and took the wooden stock, got to say I love it.
Doc

docholiday

I'm after a 6.5x55 stainless synthetic.I'd like a laminated stock but I'm out 35-40 times a year in all conditions plus end up humping the gun for hours at a time so I need a tough stock that can take knocks.I ended up adding half a pound of lead to the Tikka's butt to even up the balance once the t8 fitted....what's the balance of your combo like?

Scotspine,

I use a Sako 85 in 6.5 x 55 with ASE UTRA Jet Z Compact and a Niggeloh Twin strap sling.

No bipod "cause" I use sticks.

Sits bolt upright in my summer clothing, maybe 15 degree off vertical in winter padding.

Don't think it has a "balance issue".

The 500mm "shortened" barrel which is standard on the precut barrel may account for this.

I also have a 600mm open sighted barrel in the same calibre and really don't have an issue between them.

Stan

smullery

Another endorsement for the 85/ase set up then....
I should have said the balance of the rifle when holding it though; the lead was put in to stop the rifle feeling too barrel heavy but i suppose that's a personel thing.Will miss the tikat3/t8 which have served me well but I fancy a new gun to drool over....

Back