Scratched Eye Relief

Co1

Hi all. Out shooting yesterday and the cocker has come back with some sort of eye irritation. I’ve flushed it and checked it and can’t see anything in it, so it’s likely he has a little scratch. It’s irritating him quite a bit and I can’t get to the vets until the morning. Is there anything I can do to give him a bit of relief in the mean time?

Cheers

Sonicdmb73

Aspirin can be given to dogs. I believe the dose is 15mg per kilo. But please verify that yourself first. There’s a few good vet websites with the information.

CarlW

I thought they were toxic for dogs?
Half a tab is fine as a one-off until he gets to the vet. I've never had a problem. Most of the scare stories are due to dogs eating whole packs because they taste sweet...or people feeding human-sized doses to jack-russell-sized dogs.

However, you are right to pull me up on it: the proper vet advice is not to use it and it is probably careless of me to suggest otherwise! :thumb:

Kind regards,

Carl

Sonicdmb73

try flushing the eyes with a little warm water,maybe seed or grass/dirt in it don,t rub it ,treat as you would your own.if it persists seek med advice.
I would suggest cooled previously boiled water with a little bit of salt in it.
A saline pod out of a first aid kit would be better.

Blakey

try flushing the eyes with a little warm water,maybe seed or grass/dirt in it don,t rub it ,treat as you would your own.if it persists seek med advice.
If you are going to flush the eye don’t use plain water because it will probably cause further irritation. Go to your local pharmacy and buy some sterile normal saline. It is cheap and comes in small 10ml plastic vials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Co1

Thanks all. Have been flushing with saline eye wash and seems to be settling down. Will keep an eye on it (pun intended!) and pop to vets tomorrow if it doesn’t settle.