Section 5 handguns

Greener Jim

So as normal I've had a gander at holts auctions. Namely the unsold lots.

Within the Section 5 lots there was the usual old revolvers, derringers and pump action centrefire rifles.

What caught my attention was the 'race guns' for sale. For those who aren't aware, these are handguns which were modified for soecific forms of target shooting pre-ban. Many of the people at my club used to own similar.

I am intrigued as to why these are still in the UK. There is no use for them anymore (since its so hard getting any form of handgun for humane despatch and even if you can get one, a race gun probably isn't what you're after).
Private security individuals are provided with their firearms by their employer (or provide them to there employees) and choose the usual LE sidearms like Glocks, Sigs etc.
I would have thought that anything with resale value would have been exported long ago to more prosperous markets.

Any insight into why they're still floating around?

Linky:Full Details for Lot 3744 : Holts Auctioneers

Last edited:
[I am intrigued as to why these are still in the UK. There is no use for them anymore (since its so hard getting any form of handgun for humane despatch and even if you can get one, a race gun probably isn't what you're after].
[I would have thought that anything with resale value would have been exported long ago to more prosperous markets].

I guess with the dealers who sell "deactivated guns" having to get their "raw material" from somewhere there is still a resale value, just not as a "live" firearm

Oh yeah, completely forgot about IoM.
I didn't know they were legal in Northern Island mind or Jersey for that matter.

The lucky blighters!

You can buy them if you have a 7.3 collection, I know several lads who collect Colt firearms or service pistols, they don't have to be historic, sometimes technical merit or design progression is enough.

its rip off of the svi/sti and its about as much of a race gun as my left toe!! but there were think 5 real race guns built by Richard Wilson cir 1990's sold some time last year , they still made way over the cost of this junker lol, Richard still makes them but at Raker trade member on the site in kent but not for our market but top class pistols :cry:

Originally Posted by flatliner
Handguns are still legal in Northern Ireland.

Yer, had some good events back in the day at bangor ,

I wonder if it's a bit like the FAC in general, in that only a small proportion of people in the UK actually have and use them, and there's a perception that it's really hard to be granted an FAC.

The reality is that if you meet the criteria you will be granted it, but the perception of a lot of people is that it is so hard to be granted an FAC that it isn't worth bothering, so they don't and the myth remains. And I just wonder if a Sec5 for despatch is actually the same, in that if you've got a demonstrable "good reason" (lots of dense woodland for example) then the police would have a hard time refusing your request, but the perception in our community is that such requests are rarely granted, therefore few of us ever bother to apply.

I'd be very interested to hear from any stalkers who do use a Section 5 for HD.

Re Holts and Section 5 firearms, Holts is really an International sale. They are bringing together guns from all over the world and have an international customer base. Spend time at the viewing and you will hear many different languages. There are many European and American buyers who can lawfully acquire such guns.

Its tsn crazy but in Germany if hunting large game don't you legally have to carry a pistol for humane dispatch? Or an American buyer can purchase a large capacity semi automatic hand gun, yet cannot buy and import an old Mauser actioned Rigby, with a thumb cutout on the action.

Years ago, before the handgun ban, I had my FAC permission extended to allow my "pre-Model 27" S & W .357 Magnum to be used for the shooting of feral goats. In Scotland.

Never ever did I consider it necessary to consider wanting it extended to "humane despatch" to carry whilst stalking either in Scotland or elsewhere.

For others such a thing may be a vital accessory in how they "hunt" deer. For me for hunting deer it is not only unnecessary but would be an encumbrance.

But who am I to say others don't have a need.

Re Holts and Section 5 firearms, Holts is really an International sale. They are bringing together guns from all over the world and have an international customer base. Spend time at the viewing and you will hear many different languages. There are many European and American buyers who can lawfully acquire such guns.

Its tsn crazy but in Germany if hunting large game don't you legally have to carry a pistol for humane dispatch? Or an American buyer can purchase a large capacity semi automatic hand gun, yet cannot buy and import an old Mauser actioned Rigby, with a thumb cutout on the action.

No!!! you are allowed to own 2 pistols of your choice of calibre to use or not at your discretion mostly then only used for following up wounded game in woods simply because a cut down 8x57 ex military Mauser seems to be the more preferred option here in Bavaria (check under nachsuche on youtube).
Martin

Back