Smock/stalking jacket

12borejimbo

I have been looking at a range of dirrent smocks. I want something for all round use, so for beating in, and mostly stalking.
My options are:-
Rivers west pro smock.
Stoney Creek smock. (from Bushwear)
or the one I like but have been told to steer clear from bushwear, is the Swazi Smock.
What do you guys use, or what would you reccomend?

Hi 12bore
i have had the rivers west smock and bib for 12 months , and have give them some hard work . stalking 7 days a week . and thay have turned away all the wind and rain . would recomend them very highly

all the best
mike

Hi 12bore
i have had the rivers west smock and bib for 12 months , and have give them some hard work . stalking 7 days a week . and thay have turned away all the wind and rain . would recomend them very highly

all the best
mike

Mike, after seeking advice on this forum I tried to order what I wanted from John Forsey, unfortunately (or so i thought at the time) they did not have the Max 4 pattern i wanted in the smock. After deciding to buy the smock i had several PM's telling me to beware of the Rivers West gear as it was not very breathable.

Can you assure me it is a good breathable fabric?

Simon.

I always thought Breathable only worked if you had breathable vest ,pants trousers and jacket
otherwise the moisture does not wick away

beware of the Rivers West gear as it was not very breathable...Can you assure me it is a good breathable fabric?

It's good gear - waterproof, windproof and well made - but I can assure you that it is definitely not breatheable. If you're doing a lot of strenuous work in it you will sweat like a fat man in a sauna.

All depends on your needs. If you're moving around at a slow pace it is fine, if you're tanking up steep hills you will be soaked in perspiration.

IMHO anthing that sounds like a plastic feed bag when you move around it is unlikely to be breathable. Mate of mine wore his out lamping a few nights back, it really got on my tits. His jacket crackling and my deerhunter hitena trousers, if they had they called it tarpaulin i would have none what to expect and not bought them.
:dummy:
Rant over!!

I've had a Swazi Tahr anorak for the past 4 years. It's my go to stalking jacket, but i find i wear it nearly every day anyway. Wouldn't be without it now, and i would buy another one if i had to.

I bought a Nomad hill smock from parastalker, he had lost weight and kept getting lost in it, and I have been very impressed so far with it.

It is quiet.

It is breathable (but very warm).

It is waterproof, astoundingly so.

There is only one down side to them, and that is the price.

I would love to own a Nomad zipped hill smock and a pair of plus 3's/4's but that would be the best part of £610. And for that I can get an Arktis waterproof smock, two pairs of their waterproof trousers and have £200+ change!

Which to me is a no-brainer.

Simon

got the cheap ridgeline smock ok for the money £130 no leaks but a bit sweaty on a long stalk :D
i would agree with norma.Ridgle smock is completely waterpfoof it,s breathability is somewhat to be desired.
i have an arktis coat/smock which i bough 3 years ago at the midland.It has a removable fleece £150 at the time, and that has seen some terribble weather 6hours solid of heavy rain on lake Brenig 2 years ago and it didn't leak nor did i feel sweaty.
i only use the arktis for stalking as i hate to buy a jack of all trades coat.
ill use the ridge line for my wildfowling.
I will be seriously considering the nomad stuff next year me thinks.

Ridgeline for me dont think anything can be totaly breathable and water proof the ridge line is definatly water proof

Have a Swazi zip coat (wapiti?). but for me Nomad is the better choice, I have an old fleec jkt, and have been putting a quadrider to good ue, the dogss!!!!

I agree with Digger, I too have had Swazi gear for the past four years and it gets a lot of abuse! but as long as it is kept grit free and re-waterproofed once or twice a year then its the dogs! Not the fanciest of garments, expensive, but very worthwhile. The UK and NZ have a lot in common reguarding the weather, therefore you cant go wrong with kiwi gear.

Last edited:
Back