Wanted: Stalking on Jura

rob4586

Good Morning Folks,

Is anyone able to offer stalking on Jura? I'm looking for early next year for probably two shooters. If you can assist, could you please drop me a line?

Regards,
Rob

BEAR1

I stalked on Jura many years ago and I went to the estate belonging to Viscount Astor. I am not sure if he still lets it. Not sure if this helps you in any way. There was certainly plenty of deer on the island , best of luck.

sh1kar

Probably worth googling each of the estates noted here to see what they offer

There are now seven estates on Jura, all in separate ownership, with six of the seven held by absentees:[41]
  • Ardfin: situated at the southern tip of the island, between Feolin and Craighouse. For some seventy years from 1938, Ardfin belonged to the Riley-Smith family, brewers from Tadcaster in Yorkshire. In 2010 the estate was bought by Greg Coffey, an Australian hedge fund manager,[42] and since then the famous walled garden of Jura House, which had previously been a popular tourist attraction, has been closed to the public. Having also wound up the estate's farm, Coffey then submitted proposals for the construction of a private 18-hole golf course on the estate, which was completed in 2017. The original Jura House has been extended and modernised, and the former farm buildings are being converted into a hotel for the use of visiting golfers.

Jura House on the Ardfin Estate
  • Inver: lying North of Ardfin, on the west flanks of the Paps of Jura, and belonging to Sir William Lithgow,[43] Vice-Chairman of the Glasgow shipbuilding group Lithgows.
  • Jura Forest: also lying north of Ardfin, but on the east flanks of the Paps of Jura. Forest Estate belongs to the Vestey family,[44] currently headed by Samuel, 3rd Baron Vestey, chairman of the food and farming business Vestey Group Ltd, and Master of the Horse of the Royal Household.
  • Tarbert: North of the Corran River, and stretching as far as Loch Tarbert. Former Prime Minister David Cameron has visited the estate on several occasions.[45] It is sometimes reported that the 20,000-acre estate is "owned by his wife's stepfather Lord Astor"[45] although the ownership of the Tarbert Estate is in the hands of Ginge Manor Estates Ltd, based in Nassau in the Bahamas, and there is "no means of verifying" who the beneficial owners are.[46]
  • Ruantallain: immediately north of Loch Tarbert. Ruantallain had been a part of the Tarbert Estate, until its sale in 1984. It is owned by businessman Lindsay Bury,[47] who is a former president of the influential wildlife charity Flora and Fauna International.
  • Ardlussa: north of Ruantallain. The owner of Ardlussa[48] is Andrew Fletcher, who lives at Ardlussa House with his family - they are the only estate owners to be permanently resident on Jura.
  • Barnhill: at the northernmost tip of Jura, overlooking the famous Corryvreckan Whirlpool,[49] George Orwell completed his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four while living here. Barnhill is also owned by a member of the Fletcher family, in this case Jamie Fletcher.[citation needed]

Barnhill
There is also a relatively small area owned by Forestry Commission Scotland.

S

rob4586

Probably worth googling each of the estates noted here to see what they offer

There are now seven estates on Jura, all in separate ownership, with six of the seven held by absentees:[41]
  • Ardfin: situated at the southern tip of the island, between Feolin and Craighouse. For some seventy years from 1938, Ardfin belonged to the Riley-Smith family, brewers from Tadcaster in Yorkshire. In 2010 the estate was bought by Greg Coffey, an Australian hedge fund manager,[42] and since then the famous walled garden of Jura House, which had previously been a popular tourist attraction, has been closed to the public. Having also wound up the estate's farm, Coffey then submitted proposals for the construction of a private 18-hole golf course on the estate, which was completed in 2017. The original Jura House has been extended and modernised, and the former farm buildings are being converted into a hotel for the use of visiting golfers.

Jura House on the Ardfin Estate
  • Inver: lying North of Ardfin, on the west flanks of the Paps of Jura, and belonging to Sir William Lithgow,[43] Vice-Chairman of the Glasgow shipbuilding group Lithgows.
  • Jura Forest: also lying north of Ardfin, but on the east flanks of the Paps of Jura. Forest Estate belongs to the Vestey family,[44] currently headed by Samuel, 3rd Baron Vestey, chairman of the food and farming business Vestey Group Ltd, and Master of the Horse of the Royal Household.
  • Tarbert: North of the Corran River, and stretching as far as Loch Tarbert. Former Prime Minister David Cameron has visited the estate on several occasions.[45] It is sometimes reported that the 20,000-acre estate is "owned by his wife's stepfather Lord Astor"[45] although the ownership of the Tarbert Estate is in the hands of Ginge Manor Estates Ltd, based in Nassau in the Bahamas, and there is "no means of verifying" who the beneficial owners are.[46]
  • Ruantallain: immediately north of Loch Tarbert. Ruantallain had been a part of the Tarbert Estate, until its sale in 1984. It is owned by businessman Lindsay Bury,[47] who is a former president of the influential wildlife charity Flora and Fauna International.
  • Ardlussa: north of Ruantallain. The owner of Ardlussa[48] is Andrew Fletcher, who lives at Ardlussa House with his family - they are the only estate owners to be permanently resident on Jura.
  • Barnhill: at the northernmost tip of Jura, overlooking the famous Corryvreckan Whirlpool,[49] George Orwell completed his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four while living here. Barnhill is also owned by a member of the Fletcher family, in this case Jamie Fletcher.[citation needed]

Barnhill
There is also a relatively small area owned by Forestry Commission Scotland.

S
What a fascinating piece - thank you. This gives me enough to work with...of I go to hunt for stalking opportunities :D

Dave_45

Ruantallain is something quite special.
I worked with the second stalker there for some years .
Those boys really know their trade there and you'll have an awesome time.

Krico308

+1 for Ruantallain. I have stalked there several times. The Guy you need to speak to is Craig Rozga and his contact details are on the estate website. Craig is a super fellow and the trips are memorable because of the need for a boat if the wind is in the right direction. This video
will give you a flavour of the island and its stalking. Craig is the stalker and it is filmed on the estate. Enjoy.

Dave_45

+1 for Ruantallain. I have stalked there several times. The Guy you need to speak to is Craig Rozga and his contact details are on the estate website. Craig is a super fellow and the trips are memorable because of the need for a boat if the wind is in the right direction. This video
will give you a flavour of the island and its stalking. Craig is the stalker and it is filmed on the estate. Enjoy.
The boat ride really makes it a stand out special occasion and the scenery is Incredible.

BEAR1

I have just remembered the Stalker and keepers name for the Tarbert estate I visited it was Gordon Muir. I have also just googled Jura deer stalking estates and quite a few places have deer stalking on offer. Hope this helps, it certainly is a great place for deer stalking.