Steyr Scout Opinions

Nealxs

I am looking for a 'do all things' rifle that is suitable for deer up to reds, boar as well as local fallow/muntjac stalking and so I'm off to look at one in 308 on Monday.

I have heard many good things about the Scout and really fancy it due to its light weight, short length and integrated bipod. Just wondering if anyone has used one and, if so, their impressions. I know with all things there are compromises e.g. the bipod, but it seems like a really good bit of kit for stalking to at least 200m. I would be interested in your thoughts.

I have not handled one personally but have used the prohunter models on which this is based. Myself I a not a fan and would rather buy a Tikka T3x, Mauser M12/18 Sauer 100/1, Bergara in 308 than this model. Alternatively an older higher grade Sako,Tikka, Sauer. Go and handle it and see what you think. I would also try some other models before you commit.

They seem like a good idea with some great features but somehow just fail to deliver. I know a few people who have bought them and moved them on pretty quickly. Plenty of other lightweight options out there in .308.
Could you give a little more info on the 'failed to deliver' comment? Honestly looking for how it might not be the right option. What would you suggest otherwise? Thank you.

a friend of mine who i used to stalk with has one in .308 he loves it i had a go with it didn't like it at all kick like hell not very accurate but that was with his home loaded ammo. buy a t3 lite it'll do anything you'll ever need. SS

I have not handled one personally but have used the prohunter models on which this is based. Myself I a not a fan and would rather buy a Tikka T3x, Mauser M12/18 Sauer 100/1, Bergara in 308 than this model. Alternatively an older higher grade Sako,Tikka, Sauer. Go and handle it and see what you think. I would also try some other models before you commit.
I have had a look at some of those, but few excite me really. My shooting is recreational rather than estate management and so some are just more than I need. Just want to break the mould rather than just getting a T3/M12.

They are FANTASTIC rifles, Packed with features. The head stalker on an estate which I was under stalker to used one for many years to great effect. I was initially surprised at his choice of rifle as he is very much a traditionalist but it was a fantastic tool and the accuracy belayed the theory that a Varmint style long barrel is needed.

Later on in life I personally set up and zeroed over 200 Scouts for the Maritime Anti Piracy teams.
Not one Scout was any trouble at all.

I'm amazed by members who start there opinion with "Not owned or used one but........Blah Blah"
Kind regards Bob.

Could you give a little more info on the 'failed to deliver' comment? Honestly looking for how it might not be the right option. What would you suggest otherwise? Thank you.

Accuracy pretty average, fixed height and no cant bipod of limited use, spare mag in stock never needed, all a bit 'plasticey'. Not trying to talk you out of it, go and see it for yourself, it may well tick all your boxes. One thing to remember, light rifles need to be shot well, remember your marksmanship principals, anyone can shoot a heavy rifle off bipod but a light rifle, shot under field conditions needs some skill.

I had a blaser 243 that had done a lot of work and the grouping was not all that to be honest. I changed it for steyr scout in 308. First time I zeroed it holes were all overlapping and I don’t profess to be a awsome shot. The bipod is what it is, I don’t have any problem with it. It doesn’t stick in your back, it doesn’t catch on anything, I never forget it, it doesn’t get in the way using sticks.
I don’t think it’s particularly light after using it a bit but it’s certainly not heavy.
Cheers Daz

The safety is an acquired taste and the bolt has on occasion magically disassembled itself. Not for me.
Best thing to do is try one if you can.

I had the Tactical Elite in .308. I know you’re in about the Sporter version.

I fitted a Harris Bipod as the integrated one was not good for uneven ground, the spare mag is a good idea if you need the extra readily available bullets but again, how often do you empty a magazine that holds 5(?) from memory. The safety is very good, but not to everyone’s taste, it’s better than a Blaser though. .

The good thing though is the sight mount, practical for plenty different applications, if that’s your thing, fixed, variable, red dot, night vision etc....

Had one in 243 sub .5 out of that short barrel with v max was to easy one rifle I was stupid to let go ,
ps I still have a set of 1" warne rings that I got for it

I think they ae horrible rifles, too complicated, too many bits, cheap materials. Saying that, one from our group uses one since a few years in 7-08 and his is very accurate. Only thing he would change is going 308 instead of 7-08 because of ammo availability.
edi

I am looking for a 'do all things' rifle that is suitable for deer up to reds, boar as well as local fallow/muntjac stalking and so I'm off to look at one in 308 on Monday.

I have heard many good things about the Scout and really fancy it due to its light weight, short length and integrated bipod. Just wondering if anyone has used one and, if so, their impressions. I know with all things there are compromises e.g. the bipod, but it seems like a really good bit of kit for stalking to at least 200m. I would be interested in your thoughts.
I use a Steyr Scout .308 W for fox, deer and wild boar. The rifle is light, short and handy, accurate, and can best be described as an 'all-purpose or all-round'- rifle, great from a high seat, as a truck rifle, easy to carry on long stalks, weather-proof... I like the innovative features: Integrated bi-pod; excellent SBS -Steyr Safe Bolt- system; spare mag; adjustable stock; excellent set trigger; back-up flip iron sights/ghost ring; sling-mounts on the side, etc. ; and the ability to change optics very quickly -using QD mounts- on the full length Picatinny rail. (depending on conditions I use a dedicated Leupold Scout scope; or a red dot, or a fixed 8x56 for boar...). The integrated bi-pod is only used when you put the rifle down, to keep it out of the mud. (Very few deer are shot using a prone position and bipod....) However I have had some averse reactions from fellow stalkers who don't like the 'look' and consider it to be too 'aggressive' to be used as a stalking rifle, even a request once NOT to bring my .308 W as it would send 'the wrong message'. What nonsense. Note a previous poster who is talking about the rifle (the stainless Marine version) used in the anti-pirate role by Contractors. Now, that is an endorsement, I think.

Accuracy pretty average.....
I'll raise the BS flag on this one. I have a 1998 vintage Scout in 308 and it is remarkably accurate with both factory and handloads -the latter of which really shine. My 125 grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Hunter bullets shoot half MOA. Even with the coarse reticle in the Leupold (factory mounted) scout scope I can shoot MOA at 200 yards. Winchester 150 grain Power Point was the "worst" of the factory ammo at 1.3 MOA on the 100 yard course. I've shot SST's, Interlocks, Pro Hunters, Game Kings and some specialty military projectiles. None failed to please. I have never talked to a Scout owner who would A, sell their Scout, or B, complain about the accuracy. I have two standing offers to purchase mine should I ever decide to sell. When i got mine I looked at that pencil thin barrel and opined that they thing would probably shoot basket-sized groups. The Salesman just said, "It's a Steyr. I doubt it." He was right. It doesn't wander when warm and shoots at least as well as any of my 308 hunting rifles. Better than several of them.

It is a well engineered rifle with a lot of innovative options. Even Steyr will tell you that the bipod is not something for everyday usage. I have never used mine but I don't use a bipod for hunting anyhow...

I like the magazine in the buttstock. Never needed is a strong statement. I've not used mine but that space is really nice for putting the loaded magazine while transporting my rifle. When hunting in the back country I do like the idea of a second loaded magazine. The product of living where the wild life can eat you, I guess. I think that this kind of country is where the features of the Scout come into play as welcome assurance should something go wrong.

As you said, marksmanship is everything but I have found the Scout to be very easy shooting delivering a lot less recoil than I would expect.

So, anoither opinion of an actual Scout owner? I say go for it. You will probably like it. :thumb: ~Muir

Some really useful replies here, thank you. Really great to hear from some owners. Looks like tomorrow could be costly!

Ugly, and your mates will take the p..ss... but everything Muir and Erik say. Compact, carry and handle well, accurate, excellent trigger and intuitive sbs safety. Go for it .

Hi there

have 2 scouts in 243 & 308 very accurate , light , spare mag in stock , built in open sights, integral bipod, set trigger, buy a ching sling there very helpful to .
would not change them . safety top notch also
had muntjac to keilers no probs .

regards Jason

Back