Stihl brush cutters/strimmers

Farmer_J

Good afternoon, I’m on the look out for a stihl strimmer. This is to clear a few acres of garden edges mainly but there are patches of brambles and small blackthorn that I need to get rid around paddocks etc.

I’m not looking to buy new and have seen several stihl strimmers, brush cutters around me for sale. Nearly purchased an fs200 but missed out. On speaking to someone who does a fair bit of estate maintenance that may of been a bit overkill for my needs. Not sure about that really as I thought it’d be a good one.

Currently there’s an fs80 and fs120 at similar prices near me.

Has anyone any knowledge on which model I should look out for as there seems to be a lot of models! Also what I should actually be checking if I look at a used one?

Many thanks

willie_gunn

Are you only looking to buy, or would borrowing one be an option?

I have a cow-horn handled Stihl with a brushcutting blade that I use for shoot work parties, but it sits in the shed otherwise.

I don't want to sell it but you're welcome to borrow it.

Farmer_J

Are you only looking to buy, or would borrowing one be an option?

I have a cow-horn handled Stihl with a brushcutting blade that I use for shoot work parties, but it sits in the shed otherwise.

I don't want to sell it but you're welcome to borrow it.

That is a very generous offer and thank you very much. However I think I would be asking every couple of weeks and I really need something I can use at short notice 👍🏻

mallettn

I have an FS120 which I use irregularly, but often for some demanding stuff. It can handle a metal blade (its a long time back but I don't think the 80 could which is why I got the120) and I used it to cut down loads of reasonably established laurels. With the Powerhead that takes 2 or 4 nylon cutters I found with the two heavier duty stands it coped with disused allotment jungles although you need the metal cutting disc for serious brambles. Just my experience which may or may not be relevant to you.

MikeZZZ

I have an fs130. This is a good general use brushcutter which is powerful enough to use on clearing tough brambles and heavy vegetation etc. I would suggest the fs120 would be the better choice for you if you are going to strip properly overgrown ground.

However - the choice of blade is critical. If you are cutting brambles I would recommend the following blade:

This Oregon 295504-0 Universal Mulching Brushcutter 2 Tooth blade is fabulous. Normal (flat) metal brush cutting blades just cut so you have bramble shoots that need to be raked away afterwards - this blade smashes everything up into tiny pieces - so no raking necessary! However, because it is quite heavy you need to have a reasonably powerful strimmer to be able to use it effectively. The fs 80 is probably too small an engine.

Farmer_J

I have an fs130. This is a good general use brushcutter which is powerful enough to use on clearing tough brambles and heavy vegetation etc. I would suggest the fs120 would be the better choice for you if you are going to strip properly overgrown ground.

However - the choice of blade is critical. If you are cutting brambles I would recommend the following blade:

This Oregon 295504-0 Universal Mulching Brushcutter 2 Tooth blade is fabulous. Normal (flat) metal brush cutting blades just cut so you have bramble shoots that need to be raked away afterwards - this blade smashes everything up into tiny pieces - so no raking necessary! However, because it is quite heavy you need to have a reasonably powerful strimmer to be able to use it effectively. The fs 80 is probably too small an engine.

Excellent, thank you for all this info!