Talc Puffer

Merlyn

Hi,
What do you use as a talk puffer for those annoying light and variable wind days?
I have used a small plastic 'thingymajig' for years but lost it on a recent stalk.

TonyC

Breeze finder

Picked up half a dozen childrens bubble toys with little wand - shows the slightest breeze direction, thinking of putting the liquid in an old small squeezy bottle to see if it works.

Loki

Hi

I use a hair colour bottle (from friends wife) , 50mm dia. x 100mm?, and grind down wood ash in a mortor n pestle, sieving out to just keep the talc like stuff.

L

caorach

Or just use a lighter

The advantage I find with chalk (you can get chalk used for marking lines such as a builder would use and it comes in big bottles) is that against many backgrounds you can actually watch it drift for quite a considerable distance. In forestry against dark trees you get to watch the wind for maybe 30 seconds or more as the chalk drifts away from you. In light winds I find this useful. It is also why I prefer chalk to the dragons breath stuff as it is not so easily seen as the bright white of the chalk.

FISH BOY

The advantage I find with chalk (you can get chalk used for marking lines such as a builder would use and it comes in big bottles) is that against many backgrounds you can actually watch it drift for quite a considerable distance. In forestry against dark trees you get to watch the wind for maybe 30 seconds or more as the chalk drifts away from you. In light winds I find this useful. It is also why I prefer chalk to the dragons breath stuff as it is not so easily seen as the bright white of the chalk.

Agreed, must admit mines been playing up since getting moisture in it.

Merlyn

Dropper bottles arrived - 10 for £3.50 including postage - As only Fleabay can manage - And they work with the chalk in them.
Thanks everyone.

Rangefinder

Vicks nasal spray bottle.

Mrs saw it on the stairs one day when my jacket was being washed, shoved it up her nose and squeezed for all she was worth........

Managed to stop laughing just long enough to call the manf of the powder to make sure it was completely inert and harmless as the powder was for an industrial application......

Needless to say the bollocking lasted many days lol

Freeforester

Agreed, must admit mines been playing up since getting moisture in it.

Moisture doesn't affect the soap bubbles, and like the chalk they last, and can show the movement of the wind drift downwind, albeit in a more readily visible form.

Bob Upndown

Vicks nasal spray bottle.

Mrs saw it on the stairs one day when my jacket was being washed, shoved it up her nose and squeezed for all she was worth........

Managed to stop laughing just long enough to call the manf of the powder to make sure it was completely inert and harmless as the powder was for an industrial application......

Needless to say the bollocking lasted many days lol

Cracking, it’s at times like this we need a ‘funny’ button!

Rangefinder

Interestingly, I was told, when the guy on the other end had stopped laughing too, if its not used and changed, the old stuff is sold to dog food manf. Its used to bulk out the food or so I was told.

Klenchblaize

I knew someone would produce one:
VhqvdQp.jpg

Makes everything else redundant.
Home - Cirrus Outdoors - Wind Indicator

K

Last edited:

Freeforester

Until the battery runs down :rofl: Embrace your inner child, and go with bubbles, you will be a happier person for it! Ze Deutsch 'Pustefix' bubbles are ze uber bubbles, but them crazy Danes have some super dooper soap mix too nowadays, and lego inspired wands to get many wee bubbles a-moving and indicating. Both recommended, both also offered in 1 litre eco-friendly refill bottles for topping up your handy, smaller pocket deployment system!!

Somewhat surprised that our cousins across the water haven't realised the electric dependent unit won't help when they have the much anticipated SHTF moment?:doh:

Sad too, that a grown man has this knowledge, but sharing is what the forum is all about!

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

But until that day I'm confident we will see one or more SD Trade Member jumping on the bandwagon and a Q of members hitting the checkout button.

K

Freeforester

Agreed, why spend 50-80p on a childs toy when you can spunk equiv. $50 and be a better hunter, like good ol' Jim? :rofl: