.17 hmr problems

DOOFLER

Has any other member had issues with a partial discharge in this calibre causing damage to your gun or injury.

rms364

Yep with hornady 17g. Check every one with a magnifying glass now to check for splits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

vitalspark

Has any other member had issues with a partial discharge in this calibre causing damage to your gun or injury.
Have you fired a round with a bullet already part way up the barrel from the previous shot? I came close to doing this a couple of years back but the report didn't sound right so took a squint up the barrel (after unloading of course)

shakey jake

my mate blew his gun up, first bullet lodged in barrel second round split the stock shatteted the mag and jammed the bolt, lamping done for the night, never ignore an odd sound or missfire
shakey

Neoublie1

Bought myself a nice new CZ, went straight to the farm, as loading it, as I put the bolt down it fired.....tried the same thing again and fired, again!!
Needles to say it went straight back within two hours of picking it up.
They Replaced the rifle and never had problems since
Have had a few split cases here and there.

rms364

my mate blew his gun up, first bullet lodged in barrel second round split the stock shatteted the mag and jammed the bolt, lamping done for the night, never ignore an odd sound or missfire
shakey
^^^^^^^
Snap!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sakoodin1

I used to have one when they first came out,they were a cracking 0-200 yard carrion crow plinker but I had the same issue as above so I scrapped it as there was going to be a injury!! I bought myself a 17 hornet for the same job and I must admit I love it but it’s costly to run but great

old keeper

I believe the problems of "squibs" and split cases seem to have all but disappeared. There is of course still a lot of the old ammo out there which has the potential to still cause problems.

I had a few problems in the past but for the last 12 months or so all has been fine. I've had no problems with Winchester ammo whatsoever. It was such a pity that what is a really brilliant calibre had such problems, they should never have happened in this day and age.

zambezi

Have had a few split cases here and there.
I have had maybe 3-5% of Hornady cases split. And the distribution is random: i.e. it is not as though one batch does it, rather some cases in every batch.[Same rifle for years] But splitting does not seem to affect accuracy. I have had relatively few fliers in hundreds of rounds and none of those cases had split. Mostly happy with Hornady .17hmr.

Cyres

If you look on here there is a very lengthy thread on this subject. No good returning ammo to dealer as nothing will ever be done. I have written to HSE on this matter no reply. Only sensible way to make any protest is to take it to your local trading standards. Its CE marked and clearly not up to standard.

A mate had a .17 blow up due to duff ammo lucky he was not seriously injured.

D

purdey24

I bought a nice new CZ 455 last year and up to now have had no problems at all.
I use nothing but Federal V Shok 17 gn ballistic tips and have excellent results with them.
Have put about 500 rounds through it so far.

old keeper

I used my Anschutz 17/17 for years and never had a problem, then after several thousand rounds I had two near squeaks within a month, both involved the round getting stuck just forward of the chamber.
Fortunately, in both cases, the stuck bullet wouldn't allow the next round to be chambered. Since then only using new ammunition I've had no further problems and no split cases.

sh1kar

Yes A mate blew his up when the first round lodged in barrel missed! the fox so he sent another after it And I had a round stuck halfway up another mates rifle when plinking in October last year Fortunately the odd sound made us look up the barrel Wouldn't touch one myself

S

The Singing Stalker

I still have the old stock I blew up. The issues have been mostly solved now however if you get a misfire remove the bolt and look up the barrel just to be sure there is no blockage. Check old ammo for split cases and remove.

Oh6

A friend had .17HMR ammunition failure last summer.
Can't 100% recall what flavour of ammunition it was, but it supposedly wasn't an old batch.

.243Hunter

I had a CZ452 with a squib round jam in the barrel which I didn't realise at the time, fired another one down and the stock blew up in my hands scattered all over... Edgar brothers replaced the stock and some of the trigger guard area, said the barrel was undamaged.

This was using the old Hornady blue tips which they recalled... I've not had an issue since, just the occasional no fire from winchester ammunition ... the new hornady and federal are spot on. I love this round, its very flat shooting for NV/Thermal vermin control out to 150yds and requires minimal reticule holdover out to 200yds, I did try going down the .22 hornet route but its a pain in the arse reloading in any sort of number when your going through 50-100 a night... local store stocks hornady at £13.50 a box so its so much easier than all the reloading in this case for me...

Cottis

I had a CZ452 with a squib round jam in the barrel which I didn't realise at the time, fired another one down and the stock blew up in my hands scattered all over... Edgar brothers replaced the stock and some of the trigger guard area, said the barrel was undamaged.

This was using the old Hornady blue tips which they recalled... I've not had an issue since, just the occasional no fire from winchester ammunition ... the new hornady and federal are spot on. I love this round, its very flat shooting for NV/Thermal vermin control out to 150yds and requires minimal reticule holdover out to 200yds, I did try going down the .22 hornet route but its a pain in the arse reloading in any sort of number when your going through 50-100 a night... local store stocks hornady at £13.50 a box so its so much easier than all the reloading in this case for me...
£13.50 a box. Crikey, my local is £21 a box. Like you say, cracking high volume night time round for rabbits. At the price of HMR, it is all I use mine for now but for that purpose, it is peerless.