Sold: .17 Hornet

Jaeger47

Hello all!

I’ve been searching for a while now but have not been successful… (Not the right ones on the usual sites either or have been snapped up …)

I’m looking for a .17 Hornet,
Ideally a Weihrauch HW66 but will consider others too like the CZ 527 or what else have you got?

Due to this being quite a hot round it’s important for me that the barrel is still in good condition and if it’s been shot lots, that the barrel has been bore scoped.

I’m in the Warwick area but willing to drive 1-2 hours distance for the right rifle, otherwise will also consider a RFD transfer to one of my local shops.

So thanks for reading this far, let me know what you have and if possible please attach pictures or PM me if you prefer.

Thanks again
Jaeger

Hi Jaeger, have you had the opportunity to shoot an HW66? At the risk of spoiling your desire to own one, I bought a brand new HW66 about 18 months ago and had a really bad experience with it. First attempt to zero with Hornady factory 20 grain V Max bullets - on the fifth shot the case jammed in the chamber and the bolt wouldn’t open. Had to take it to a gunsmith who put a rod up the barrel into the case mouth and applied pressure to it while tapping the bolt to open it. It took a while and eventually it opened and we retrieved the case. Upon inspection it was evident that the chamber was very poorly finished and there were some heavy grooves in the chamber walls which literally gripped the case when it expanded during firing. I presumed it may have been an iffy shell and ventured back to try again and this time, on the second shot it locked solid again. A reloading supplies contact of mine offered to send the cases to the technical director at Hornady for an opinion on the batch of ammunition. It was determined that the ammunition was satisfactory and they concluded the issue was with the rifle chamber. After getting no joy from the UK supplier, I liaised directly with Weihrauch in Germany, and after sending them photos of the fired cases they authorised the UK supplier to refund me for the rifle. I bought an Anschutz 1771 and have never looked back. More expensive but it is in a different class the HW66. Sorry if my experience differs to how other owners have found them to be - maybe mine was a rogue….? If you get one I hope it works out for you.
Al

Hi Jaeger, have you had the opportunity to shoot an HW66? At the risk of spoiling your desire to own one, I bought a brand new HW66 about 18 months ago and had a really bad experience with it. First attempt to zero with Hornady factory 20 grain V Max bullets - on the fifth shot the case jammed in the chamber and the bolt wouldn’t open. Had to take it to a gunsmith who put a rod up the barrel into the case mouth and applied pressure to it while tapping the bolt to open it. It took a while and eventually it opened and we retrieved the case. Upon inspection it was evident that the chamber was very poorly finished and there were some heavy grooves in the chamber walls which literally gripped the case when it expanded during firing. I presumed it may have been an iffy shell and ventured back to try again and this time, on the second shot it locked solid again. A reloading supplies contact of mine offered to send the cases to the technical director at Hornady for an opinion on the batch of ammunition. It was determined that the ammunition was satisfactory and they concluded the issue was with the rifle chamber. After getting no joy from the UK supplier, I liaised directly with Weihrauch in Germany, and after sending them photos of the fired cases they authorised the UK supplier to refund me for the rifle. I bought an Anschutz 1771 and have never looked back. More expensive but it is in a different class the HW66. Sorry if my experience differs to how other owners have found them to be - maybe mine was a rogue….? If you get one I hope it works out for you.
Al
Hey Al,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
I’m looking at a HW66 soon but it has been used already so will look for any issues along those lines with it and if I can tell about jamming bolts.

Hoping it will be a nice rifle, I like the .17 Hornet idea too much to just let it go ☺️

Hey Al,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
I’m looking at a HW66 soon but it has been used already so will look for any issues along those lines with it and if I can tell about jamming bolts.

Hoping it will be a nice rifle, I like the .17 Hornet idea too much to just let it go ☺️

I picked mine up 8 days ago but not had chance to zero yet .

don't discount the cz 527, they are very accurate rifles and the controlled round feed is a boon with small cases.
Southams auctions seem to have them pretty regularly
@Edinburgh Rifles would be a good bet as Ed sells the mental peregrine bullets that are good for 4,000fps+

Hi Jaeger, I love my .17 Hornet - you will too I’m sure. What will you be using it for? Mine is primarily for fox and also rabbits. I used a 22-250 for over twenty years with great success, shooting with lamps. Then I moved to a thermal scope back in 2017 and found that foxes came in so much closer that I didn’t need the reach. Plus I find that when I’m foxing, I often see rabbits that can be taken, but using a 22-250 is overkill, noisy and expensive. So I looked to find a small centre fire calibre (as I reload) with comfortable ballistics to 200 yards, and the accurate flat-shooting Hornet ticked the box for me. I’m currently working up a new load as the powder I settled on, CFE BLK, is one of those that got banned. I’m trying Lovex DO63 and Viht N120 at the moment with those cheap 17 grain (Henry Krank - 17 HMR heads) and haven’t quite got it sorted yet. I’m trying these because I haven’t managed to get my usual 20 Gr Nosler Varmageddon’s to group the same as they did with the old powder and neither will the 25 Gr V Max - both are spreading to much. Anyway - good luck with the HW 66 and hope it’s sound. Enjoy.
Al

I can vouch for the CZ 527.
Lovely rifle and is very accurate, well mine is anyway.

Bought from a mate last month after he only had a few hundred round thru it from new (told him I wanted it even though he wasn't selling it, cheers mate 👍🤣)

I've tried it with cheap S&B 20gr Vmax and also Hornady 20gr Vmax. Both are within 0.5" at 135 yards.

Trigger is great. Nice smooth bolt action, metal detachable magazine and I can reload for it once the factory ammo is done.

I've got cheap 17gr bullets in a batch of 500 for rabbits, and I've also got 25gr Vmax bullets ready and waiting. Reloading is the main reason I changed from the 17HMR.

PXL_20240202_150556134~2.jpg

Hi Jaeger, I love my .17 Hornet - you will too I’m sure. What will you be using it for? Mine is primarily for fox and also rabbits. I used a 22-250 for over twenty years with great success, shooting with lamps. Then I moved to a thermal scope back in 2017 and found that foxes came in so much closer that I didn’t need the reach. Plus I find that when I’m foxing, I often see rabbits that can be taken, but using a 22-250 is overkill, noisy and expensive. So I looked to find a small centre fire calibre (as I reload) with comfortable ballistics to 200 yards, and the accurate flat-shooting Hornet ticked the box for me. I’m currently working up a new load as the powder I settled on, CFE BLK, is one of those that got banned. I’m trying Lovex DO63 and Viht N120 at the moment with those cheap 17 grain (Henry Krank - 17 HMR heads) and haven’t quite got it sorted yet. I’m trying these because I haven’t managed to get my usual 20 Gr Nosler Varmageddon’s to group the same as they did with the old powder and neither will the 25 Gr V Max - both are spreading to much. Anyway - good luck with the HW 66 and hope it’s sound. Enjoy.
Al
I’m going to be using it on a couple of farms where it was approved as the max cal for foxes / rabbits and so on. I use a .243 for pretty much everything else unless it is a trip abroad where I need a .308

Also going to put my Hik Alpex on there for night time hunting.

This cal is going to get me into reloading too I think 😂

I’m going to be using it on a couple of farms where it was approved as the max cal for foxes / rabbits and so on. I use a .243 for pretty much everything else unless it is a trip abroad where I need a .308

Also going to put my Hik Alpex on there for night time hunting.

This cal is going to get me into reloading too I think 😂
Mines gonna be crow & magpie duster. Not bothered about rabbits but if fox happened along within 150yds I'll give it a go.

Al
Hogdens Lilgun powder it the go to for 22 or 17 Hornet

Back