.22 wmr range and accuracy

10wayne88

Just after anyones experiences with the .22wmr i have just picked up a nice cz452 in .22 wmr, yet to shoot it but i was just finding out what sort of grouping i could expect upto 100 yards obviously with a ammo it liked, and also ive seen that hornady do a v max for this calibre and any experience with this ammo? I was going for a 17hmr but came across this gun

bewsher500

Test lots of ammo
they can do better than 1.5"

my Sako loves 33gr Remington accu-tip
ragged hole at 100 yds

zero half inch high at 100 and shoot straight to 140-150

Fursty Ferret

Seems good enough a inch and half, i may have to get several types of ammo and just try them
Yeah you should get better than that......right ammo is key as other have said.....avoid the heavier stuff (stay with the 30/33grn stuff)......my cz also prefered a soiled barrel

10wayne88

Yes i wanted something that had a bit more stopping power, the 17g bullet just seems a little light plus it can get a little windy where i shoot

Dalua

My Quad does best with Hornady 30gr, giving just under 1" at 100yds. Remington 33gr also good at ~1", as is Fiocchi 40gr - which interestingly shoots to the same POI.
Wind does it no favours - I was having minor fits of dispair at the very erratic 'groups' when I first tried to zero it and test ammuntion on the range; when a pal pointed out that it was windy, and it is after all only a wee rimfire.

Muir

I Love WMR. A couple of hints: As mentioned, try all the different ammunitions you can find. Another hint, don't clean it every two minutes! I've not met a 22WMR that likes cleaning all the time. A single patch with a scant amount of oil, then dry patched to a 'dry' state will suffice. Cleaning does nothing for WMR accuracy in my experience.

Of the seven WMR's I own, my CZ 452 is my most prized. It LOVES Federal "Classic" 30 grain HP. Second place, Remington Premier VMAX 33 gr. Then CCI and Federal FMJ. Have fun!~Muir

Last edited:

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
I loved my CZ 452 when I had it, the Remington 33 gr were it's favourite food. Cleared a lot of corvids at lambing time with it, and foxes if they came close enough. Much underrated round IMHO.

John

Last edited:

hendrix's rifle

Just after anyones experiences with the .22wmr i have just picked up a nice cz452 in .22 wmr, yet to shoot it but i was just finding out what sort of grouping i could expect upto 100 yards obviously with a ammo it liked, and also ive seen that hornady do a v max for this calibre and any experience with this ammo? I was going for a 17hmr but came across this gun
My old 452 wmr loved the 25g ntx from hornady and the 40g softpoints from Remington. Both giving half inch at 100 yards so plenty accurate. Was more accurate than my hmr but the hmr had it on long range accuracy marginally. Cracking rifles, accurate and cheap to feed! What's not to love!

Wvwoods

I have never had any success with the 22 magnum, seems like
the lot to lot variations in ammunition production kill the accuracy between different boxes of shells. It's been a number of years since I've played with the 22 magnum. The problem always appeared to be a poorly made jacketed bullets.

Muir

I have never had any success with the 22 magnum, seems like
the lot to lot variations in ammunition production kill the accuracy between different boxes of shells. It's been a number of years since I've played with the 22 magnum. The problem always appeared to be a poorly made jacketed bullets.
Funny. It's the consistency between LOTS that has kept me coming back to the 22WMR over the 17HMR. As long as I stick to the same brand and configuration, the performance as been very consistent. The only time I have seen inconsistent accuracy has been when people overly clean the 22WMR or switch brands of ammo. I have a friend that thinks if his 22WMR shoots Armscor 22 WMR well, then CCI of a different bullet weight should shoot just as well. He is frustrated. Twenty-two magnum, rifles, more so then others, have their preferences.~Muir

Southern

The .22 WMR is not a .222 or .223, so you cannot shoot large varmints at long range with it, due to the loss of energy.

So, do you need the resolution, and color correction you would need for 1000 yard shooting at targets? I think not. There are scopes made precisely for .22 LR, .22 WMR, and the .17s which are better than any of the rifles:

Simmons rimfire scopes with owner-changeable turrets .22 LR and .17 HMR. Side parallax adjustment.
Bushnell rimfire scopes, same manufacture as the Simmons, but with BDC reticles
Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36 with parallax adjustable objective.
Burris 4.5-14x42 AO with BDC.

Wvwoods

Muir, I sure your correct, my last 22 magnum shootng was 20 years ago, a marlin 883. I never shot any of the premium ammo thats available today. If i recall correctly the only thing a avaliable at that time was winchester and cci ammo , solid or hollow point, 40 grain. I remember reading in Rifle magazine some time. ago that most manufacturers had improved the bullet quality also rim thickness on the case head was also mentioned in the article as issue that was resolved. But, at that time, the 22 magnum didn't have a reputation for accuracy that the 22 long rifle did.

philip

Weihrauch HW60j. Hornady 35 grn Vmax. 30 mm group all day

lovely lovely calibre, out to 100 yds it's the bees knees for foxes or rabbits

get the right Ammo it likes, I've never shot any foxes over a 100 with it as it can drop off rapidly after that, I'm not into elevation, if it's over a 100 the Duce comes out, 100 yds is a long enough range and it's really accurate, all I ever done with mine was a wipe over and a single pull through with a boresnake, accuracy never changed

one down fall with Hornady Ammo with this calibre is a powder residue around the bolt head and barrel entry point - very light oil soaked cotton bud does the trick to keep it clear. = no sticky load or unload

enjoy - it's a lovely calibre

atb

phil

Southern

I shoot an old Mossberg Chuckster, whose receiver does not accommodate most scopes due to the tube length, so when I went from open sights to a scope, I had to use a straight tube 4x20, which I have zeroed at 100 yards. For a crow, pigeon or coyote out to 125 yards, I don't know that any other scope would buy me much.

10wayne88

Tried the gun last sunday group under a inch with cci maxi mag at 100m but got cloverleaf groups with hornady v max 30g very impressed with the little rifle , grouped badly with federal though, will try a couple more ammos but very happy with the v max

jimbo1984

I've toyed with the idea of a.22wmr for a while now but have a .22 and .222 so honestly don't know if it would be worth buying one ..... Tempting though