Are big game doubles going down in price?

mchughcb

This week I was offered a cheapish Krieghoff 470NE and a Blaser S2 500NE. I'm undecided. I asked a mate and he said the prices are plumeting as the African safari industry is suffering and people can't get abroad. Anybody else noticing it.

Nkawu

This week I was offered a cheapish Krieghoff 470NE and a Blaser S2 500NE. I'm undecided. I asked a mate and he said the prices are plumeting as the African safari industry is suffering and people can't get abroad. Anybody else noticing it.
What is cheapish if you don’t mind me asking?

Fabnosh

I’ve not noticed any trend particularly. There are always guns for sale precipitated by some sad changes in circumstances but generally it’s a pretty stable market. If you see a good gun at a good price, I’d grab it.

FN

Sonicdmb73

I would suppose that supply and demand would account for some price drop.
The other being delayed and or cancelled trips. Where the owner might have thought to use the rifle on the trip and then sell it on at little if any loss.
I suppose at the moment you are basically buying something that you can’t say when you will get to use it.

mchughcb

I would suppose that supply and demand would account for some price drop.
The other being delayed and or cancelled trips. Where the owner might have thought to use the rifle on the trip and then sell it on at little if any loss.
I suppose at the moment you are basically buying something that you can’t say when you will get to use it.
I'd actually use it. Mainly for competition though.

Sonicdmb73

I'd actually use it. Mainly for competition though.
I would think that unlike some other firearms. The market for double rifles (at the moment at least) is a buyer’s one.
Nice if you can justify buying one (not sure I could) and better still if you have an excuse to use it.

Alistair

They don't seem to be dropping much in the US at least.

I'm moving out there for work, so now I don't have to deal with stupid UK gun laws I'm looking for a .470NE double to have a play with. Because why not?

The Chapuis or Merkel options aren't terrible value, but I wouldn't call them a bargain. Not significantly cheaper this year than last either, going by the sold ads. I'd probably go for a Kreighoff at £4000 equivalent if offered. @mchughcb, Got any pictures?

norfolk shooter

At 4K I will have it if you dont. Doubles are not going down in price they hold value like an old Aston Martin and go up the older they get. I have one in 416 Rigby and can sell it for what I paid even in todays market and for a quick sale take a little hit. With any double rifle ALWAYS ask to see the factory target or better still ask to shoot it.

Saying all that I have just seen that you are in AUS. TBH I dont know too much about the double rifle market there but I would say given how many doubles are there 4K might be an average price. Good to have woodleigh bullets on tap though

mchughcb

At 4K I will have it if you dont. Doubles are not going down in price they hold value like an old Aston Martin and go up the older they get. I have one in 416 Rigby and can sell it for what I paid even in todays market and for a quick sale take a little hit. With any double rifle ALWAYS ask to see the factory target or better still ask to shoot it.

Saying all that I have just seen that you are in AUS. TBH I dont know too much about the double rifle market there but I would say given how many doubles are there 4K might be an average price. Good to have woodleigh bullets on tap though
Yes had factory target in the factory case.
So all legitimate

Pkiernan

They don't seem to be dropping much in the US at least.

I'm moving out there for work, so now I don't have to deal with stupid UK gun laws I'm looking for a .470NE double to have a play with. Because why not?

The Chapuis or Merkel options aren't terrible value, but I wouldn't call them a bargain. Not significantly cheaper this year than last either, going by the sold ads. I'd probably go for a Kreighoff at £4000 equivalent if offered. @mchughcb, Got any pictures?
Butch Searcy has a good reputation for doubles in the US.

8x57

Distinguished Member
Butch Searcy has a good reputation for doubles in the US.
Possibly, but I'm not so sure as I've read reports on the Nitro Express forum that some of his earlier Ruger Red Label conversions had issues. So not having seen any of his rifles for myself I remain slightly sceptical.

Alistair

I'll be looking second hand market and probably person to person versus a dealer. A couple of forums for that kinda thing in the US that put up some good deals (plus exciting pictures of various Safaris).