BASC insurance.

25 Sharps

Unfortunately BASC have become the whipping boys for the excesses of politicians and mass media alike. Even now there are people about to vote in a General Election based on party political preferences without bothering to find out which of their constituency candidates are pro or anti shooting, or even have any knowledge on the subject at all.
That’s quite possibly because for a lot of us there is far more to life than shooting, brexit, reducing the national debt and deficit, NHS, resources for police and armed forces, schools for our children, state of the economy. That kind of thing......

slider

SA
All the shooting org insurance policies cover recreational shooting and not commercial activity, but have different views on what is recreational so it's worth double checking with them.
The clause in the BASC policy is that making money from selling all or part of your bag, or being paid for beating or picking up for example is still covered provided the total income from this activity does not make up the majority of your income. Full wording is on the BASC Web site.
However taking out paying guests would fall outside of recreational, and there is an additional policy available from BASC to cover those who run a shooting related business such as professional stalkers, coaches etcetera.
SACS covers £5000 of financial gain per annum. It does state "not professional" but doesn't exclude a rec stalker taking out occasional paying clients

Swedish

I'm a member of the BDS but insured via SACS whose insurance offer is superior to the BDS and pretty much equivalent to BASC.

timbrayford

That’s quite possibly because for a lot of us there is far more to life than shooting, brexit, reducing the national debt and deficit, NHS, resources for police and armed forces, schools for our children, state of the economy. That kind of thing......
Even so there's no need to blame BASC for that which is beyond their control, especially when shooting people say that "there is far more to life etc. etc." and then find out that they have elected an anti-shooting animal rights sympathiser simply because they disregarded the issue before voting.

kes

BASC is BASC and politics is politics and rarely the twain shall meet, despite what BASC says.
As for the issues of the day I know where I am voting and still find BASC to be less than it should be - in that they are similar to politicians.

Hw60sniper

Been with basc and sga in the past who both let me down with help , been with sacs for a good few years now but not had to try them out for help yet so cant comment on them yet

Pedro

So, getting back to the question.....

I, for one believe BASC insurance is the most comprehensive, so if that is your priority, then you know where to go. But there are now quite a few places you can get shooting insurance that in all likelihood cover your needs. So it is worth a half hour or so on the internet checking out the competition. Some of the providers are listed above, but that isn't exhaustive.

I shall refrain from extolling any other virtues or otherwise of joining any particular organisation as there's enough on here discussing that already and it's out-with the scope of the OP's original question.

kes

One difference I remember when I was doing a comparison is that BASC insurance is only active when you get to the shoot. SACS insurance is active as soon as you leave home to go shooting. Possibly a small point but if your gun is damaged as you set off ?
Please correct me if i am wrong David.

David BASC

Official Member
The BASC policy is active when you are taking part in the relevant activity. The third party liability cover does not cover you if you damage your own gun.

I would like to know what Mick feels is lacking in the BASC insurance please
Thanks
David

kes

The BASC policy is active when you are taking part in the relevant activity. The third party liability cover does not cover you if you damage your own gun.

I would like to know what Mick feels is lacking in the BASC insurance please
Thanks
David
I take it that's a 'yes' and I was correct, even though there was no comment on SACS insurance. 'Taking part' is when you get there and SACS have confirmed, with them, its when you set off from home.

Rusty Gate

I've had my FAC for a little over a year now. I had insurance with BASC as I was shooting on a perm and also a club.

It's come to renew but before I do I was wondering if there are other companies that are as good as BASC and cheaper?

Thanks.
After BASC I renewed with Countryside Alliance one year, the next near on renewing I was overdrawn??
Visit to the bank revealed BASC had taken a renewal fee & the same the previous year with Countryside Alliance & did a charge back for both. Never again. SACS now.

David BASC

Official Member
Yes BASC cover applies when you are taking part in the activity, and I assume SACS confirmed that your own guns and property are not covered under the legal liability policy.
Rusty Gate, the only was BASC could take money is if you set up Direct Debit and it was not cancelled , but if you pm me some details I will happily look into it.
Mick, appreciate you may be busy but please let me know what you think what is lacking in the BASC policy
Thanks
David

kes

David, thanks for comment - I think, insurance is always a problem to comprehend fully what is going on.
By legal liability can you define what you mean - I presume guns are covered by BASC either as first or second resort (household insurance may come into play here) I would also presume SACS will do he same since their insurance is the equivalent of BASC's.
If legal liability refers to the insurer then I think I understand, if it refers to the insured then the policy must surely be second resort and some time ago you said BASC's was a policy of first resort - Perhaps you could clarify that for me ?
Thanks

David BASC

Official Member
Legal liability can often also be referred to as third party liability. In other words the insurance pays for claims made against you for loss or damages caused by your negligence.
You can't sue yourself for damaging your own property, so property such as guns, scopes and so on would need to be separately covered.
By first resort I refer to policies take the claim and handel it regardless of what other policies may be in play. Last resort policies only pay out only when its shown that there are no other policies that will cover all or part of the loss.
I hope that helps.
But at the end of the day perhaps the decision on which organisation or organisations you choose to support should not just be based on insurance, but what else you get and what the organisation does that you support.
Sincerely
David

kes

Thanks David, if I read your reply correctly, your equipment, personal injury (committed by yourself on yourself), your car, contents, clothing and personal possessions are not therefore covered under BASC insurance, or as you suggest, any other shooting insurance, unless damaged by a party similarly insured. Its only if you are shot by someone, shoot someone, damage their car or someone damages yours that you are protected by typical insurance cover.

Can that legitimately be called Insurance or should it be called legal liability or third party insurance? I think we all understand third party insurance for cars as the least cover which is sufficiently legal for driving on UK roads.
However, these days its a rare beast as replacing your car, (or guns come to that) can be stunningly expensive.

David BASC

Official Member
BASC members do have personal accident insurance. This is separate from the liability cover. The PA cover is £50000.
If you are hurt by someone else or have you property damaged by them, then you have to make a claim against them but if they have no insurance you are pretty stuck.
You are correct your car and other possessions are not insured under the BASC insurance.
David