BIG GAME CALIBRE

AdamS

Morning Everyone,
I'm looking for advice on the best calibre for African hunting, its a tall order but I would like something capable for plains game and also large game eg. buffalo if the wallet allows. I don't want to go down the road of two rifles for this I'd rather have one and get loads of practice on the target before I venture to Africa.
I already have 7mm-08 and 7 x 64.
Regards,
AdamS.

You can't go wrong with a 375 H&H, a 416 Rigby or a 404 Jeffery.

The advantage of the .375 H&H is that ammo is available for it pretty much everywhere. Ammo for the other two is slightly more limited.

I would also go for .375 H&H Mag .....very versatile and the ideal African rifle.....will do the job on everything
Have used the calibre for a number of years and it always delivers. Ammo easy to source,and reasonable. I bought some ammo during a trip to South Africa in June this year and it worked out at arounf £25 per box.
No hesitation in recommending the calibre

.375 H & H

Thanks guys I thought .375 would be the one. Are they easy enough to get on your FAC. I'm in Staffordshire.
Regards,
Adam.

Unlikely that you have permissions in the North of Scotland where you could use the calibre. You will likely be asking for it to be used in Africa etc. My experience with Lincs on my 9.3 x 62 and friends with West Yorks and Notts with .375 H&H is that they'll easily put it on your ticket but not allow you any ammo. Once you've taken it out of the UK and back in again you have demonstrated need and they then allow ammo. In all three of us we are allowed to possess expanding but only shoot FMJ for zeroing.

Stan

Another vote for the .375 h&h,i have not long bought a barrel for my blaser.Strathclyde firearms dept. had no problems letting me have it but ,at first said i couldnt purchase any ammo.I argued the case that i wasn't going to go and hunt dangerous game having never fired or practised with the rifle,they gave in and i am allowed solids for practising,theyre argument being there are NO dangerous game in the UK hence no need for expanding ammo(i tried to go down the wild boar line but they still dont believe that they exsist in the wild-thats the answer i got).
I've nearly had it a year now and am going to Croatia in January so i am going to ask them if they will allow expanding so i can purchase before i go,wish me luck.

.375 H&H is fine for Plains game, but border-line for buffalo. I prefer something with more wallop for dedicated buffalo use, also featuring a second barrel. It depends whether you can justify a .470 NE/.505 Gibbs/.458 Lott in terms of the financial and physical pounding you will receive. A .375 H&H/Ruger is a more sensible solution for occasional use.

375 H&H has probably killed more game, including more Elephants than all the other calibres in the entire African continent put together. Admittedly bullet choice and shot placement are important, esp with the largest animals, but assuming those two factors are respected, it's an excellent choice.

Regarding the 500s - they're great charge stopping calibres, but (IMO) far too limited for most general hunting.

.375HH

Pretty much the same trajectory to 300+ yds as most 30cal class ammunition - makes switching between the two very instinctive.

Check 'Guidance to Police' and you will find the .375 specifically mentioned as a calibre that will do double duty as a 'Safari' calibre abroad and as an accepted calibre for 'larger species' here in the UK.

As the Deer Act insists on soft or hollow point ammunition for taking cervids, a grant of suitable SP ammo to accompany the use of your .375hh on Fallow/Red/ Wild Boar should follow.... provided your 'request' is suitably framed!

It did with mine! :)

Rgds Ian

I have taken Buffalo, Elephant and all the major plains game.

YOU NEED A 375H&H AND NOTHING ELSE.

Buy yourself a BRNO 375H&H retail about £600 or there abouts. Good solid rifles, easy mauser action, and they WORK. Dont go for fancy stuff or 500's you will never use them.

I have the same problem not being allowed expanding ammunition as I don't have provision to use it on live quarry in this country. My local force so far have not budged from the chart in the home office guidance which states .375 is only for dangerous game. Even though I can shoot reds with my other rifles.
However, I found the following in the HO guidance notes which I will be putting to them in due course
13.35 The police will wish to be satisfied that
an applicant has genuine intentions to use
such rifles abroad, though such visits may be
infrequent. Due to the terms of section 9 of
the 1997 Act, expanding ammunition may not
be authorised in connection with use abroad.
Zeroing with non-expanding ammunition may
be permitted in the UK providing a suitable
range or land is available. Those who homeload
their non-expanding ammunition for
such zeroing will also need to test and
chronograph it. Some rifles intended for
antelope and other Plains Game may also
be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
shooting in this country. Calibres such as
the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
but may, once initial “good reason” has been
established, also be used for shooting the
larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
ammunition may also be authorised for an
applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.
Where a shooter experiences difficulties in
obtaining “dangerous game” cartridges in the
country where that game is to be hunted,
arrangements can be made for a dealer to
export an appropriate quantity which can
be collected by the shooter at the point
of embarkation.

Anson - I'd be interested to hear how you get on re 375 for deer. I've just got myself a 375, zeroing only in UK with FMJ at present but would like to try it out on reds sometime.

I would prefer to be able to go to Africa with confidence in my rifle, ammo and self. Since I can't zero with SPs at present, thats not possible. Shame really but there we are.

rgds, RP

I'm going to pursue it. I'd advise you to as well, if only to allow you to hold and zero.
I will post the result when I have it.

Hi RP, I have been awaiting a reply from plod. My local force have not answered my e-mails, although they did say they were dealing with it. 6 weeks later, I have now sent it rec del post. I will let you know the answer.

Hi RP, I have been awaiting a reply from plod. My local force have not answered my e-mails, although they did say they were dealing with it. 6 weeks later, I have now sent it rec del post. I will let you know the answer.

I have got .375 expanding ammunition now. After I sent a recorded delivery letter explaining Para 13.35 at first they weren't too keen. I explained the necessity to hold, load and zero expanding ammunition before taking abroad and they are ok about it and have agreed to put on my ticket. Good job well done.

Back