Chronograph - can you help please?

Sans Culottes

Good morning

I would like to check the muzzle velocity of my 223.

The rifle is a Tikka T3 ,and the barrel was (prior to my ownership) reduced in length by two or three inches. I suspect that this has resulted in reduced muzzle velocity, and thus any calculated drop data may be not as one would anticipate.

Can anyone in the Northants area who has a chronograph help please?

Thanks

Chris

simonl

Once you get a figure using a chrono and stick the result in an app to get the drop data, you then need to verify it at a few ranges to prove the results are as expected. If they're not then you modify either the BC or the muzzle velocity to make the app match up with reality. So is there much point in using the chrono in the first place?

flying felix

Once you get a figure using a chrono and stick the result in an app to get the drop data, you then need to verify it at a few ranges to prove the results are as expected. If they're not then you modify either the BC or the muzzle velocity to make the app match up with reality. So is there much point in using the chrono in the first place?

Yes absolutely.
A chronograph is the best way to determine consistency. If you have a low Standard Deviation you can rule out any issues with internal ballistics and limit problems with accuracy to external ballistics.

You are correct in saying that calculated ballistic tables are based on theory and have to confirmed with practically.

Malxwal

This is certainly my experience with velocities registered on both a Magnetospeed and a Labradar. In both instances, the velocity registered was higher than drops at distance suggested, but then telling Strelok the actual drops, the apps recalculated velocity provided accurate drops.
No doubt the chronograph is of great use in telling you ES/SD though, so still an item worth having (when I'm not skint).

Avianmanagement

Would it not be the case that strelook recalculated the correct BC for the velocity to give teh drop that is actually achieved?

I use Field Firing solutions Delta software and that is what it does.

Malxwal

Yeah, a bit poorly worded by me there. Input actual drops or clicks required into the correction section, it offers you a modified velocity OR BC, and then offers to recalculate the data table for that particular rifle/bullet.

Conh

It is a myth that ballistic calculators arnt accurate. They are close to 100% accurate out to transonic ranges. If your drop doesn’t match the outputs it is down to faulty equipment ( eg. Poor scope tracking) or incorrect inputs.

Muir

It is a myth that ballistic calculators arnt accurate. They are close to 100% accurate out to transonic ranges. If your drop doesn’t match the outputs it is down to faulty equipment ( eg. Poor scope tracking) or incorrect inputs.
This. Bad input examples are: BC derived from published data and not from actual calculation. Lack of accurate environmental input. Not paying attention to the direction of the wind and it's effect on elevation.~Muir

PS: The US version of LabRadar is wonderful for calculation og genuine BC. I have tracked 6.5 x 120 grain velocities from muzzle to backer berm 110 yards away.

sauer404

Sorry to hijack the thread, but which one would people recommend without having to fork out silly money?

jb1

I'm more than happy with my Alpha Chrono, using the figures from that get me pretty DAM close out to 1000yds.
Maybe using something costing 3x the amount may get me out to 3000,

But I seriously doubt it.

It 'll depends on how OCD you are, and of course how much you have. Shooting really is getting so high tech you will soon need a degree in physics to to squeeze a trigger.

Sans Culottes

Thanks everyone for their offers of assistance.

All sorted now.

Muzzle velocity measured 3206 fps avg. v 3465 fps Manufacturers figures.

Cheers

Chris

Now the proud owner of a magneto V3

Anyone needs to use it and can make it to sunny Newquay - i've got a 100m home range - nothing fancy but ...

Feel free to drop in just give me a bit of notice

j