Dog food

Watson1

Hi all I know this is a bit off track but just wondering what everyone feeds there working dogs on ? I'm thinking of changing food.

Hudson12

Any off cuts and bones from things I’ve shot household scraps and working dog food biscuits

Reactions: Kjf

gummy_bear

raw trimmings, bones, the odd whole rabbit for deworming, fish heads, leftovers, complementary dry dog food, AND anything left on the back of the freezer at the the start of the new season -- no special attention but the coats are shiny with no ribs through -- all ready for the long working days

reloader54

100% raw, meat, bone, liver, tripe,fish,fresh eggs with shells, veg and fruit vet checked 2 months ago, said he couldn't remember seeing a dog as healthy. dentition is perfect, no plaque like that you get with the processed pellet shite toxic waste.

johngryphon

99% Venison meat and most of the edibles from the gralloch.
Heads split with the axe also adds to the mix,half a sambar head is plenty for a dogs rations for the day.
Picked up a card today that shows the dogs and foxes like a bit of Veni too.

orange cam bait.jpg

wildfowler.250

You’ll find on these posts that the raw food people crop up constantly and everyone that feeds dry dog food stays quiet. Silent majority? :lol:

Howe1401

Minefield topic for a 1st time dog owner.
Pick my pup up in 4 weeks and need to decide on the best food to keep her healthy.
Will keep researching. :)

reloader54

Minefield topic for a 1st time dog owner.
Pick my pup up in 4 weeks and need to decide on the best food to keep her healthy.
Will keep researching. :)
here's a few things to watch.

there's plenty more out there.
your dog your choice.

Firefly

raw trimmings, bones, the odd whole rabbit for deworming, fish heads, leftovers, complementary dry dog food, AND anything left on the back of the freezer at the the start of the new season -- no special attention but the coats are shiny with no ribs through -- all ready for the long working days
How does the rabbit deworm ? I thought they carried tapeworms, and need freezing to kill off parasites ?
Thanks Ff

Skietindiekop

I feed dry food (wag about £11 for 16kg) twice a day with a couple of dried sprats (evening meal) as the main staple. Add occasional fresh venison or chicken.
Good protein value and no issues at the other end.

sauer

Same with anything in life ... you get folk telling you what your doing is wrong 😮

But more than one way to skin a cat / live your life

I feed raw .... others feed dry

You do what works for you and the dog and your lifestyle etc

What works for one .... may not be suitable for the other

Anybody tells you ... their way is only way ...

F’kin ignore em ... you don’t need that negativity in your life .

Paul

shakey jake

i had 7 dogs at one point fed them on every thing from a straight raw meat fish bones and veg to cheap doctor johns blue bag stuff, they never looked different to me good coats and normal levels of energy, yes turds are smaller on meat and veg but i ran two freezers and killed alot of rabbits and deer. if your dog doesnt get on with wheat, raw is good but it does cost.
if your getting a pup stick with what it is used too and change slowly.
tripe from the deer you get is good as are bones and any trimming, but dont make your self feel bad if you feed biscuits as well

Howe1401

here's a few things to watch.

there's plenty more out there.
your dog your choice.
I thought they only did this to our food!
Thanks for posting, very interesting.

Alantoo

Once a day small margarine pot of Akela Original 80/20 Working Dog food plus 250grms of Natural Instinct ground up raw Chicken, Turkey, Salmon or Beef. Just come to the end of last season's frozen pheasant legs and thighs which she gets on top. So increasing the deer ribs and vertebrae middle day, every two or three days.

Small Springer on the right of avatar.

Alan