Driven boar season

starr shot

Just out of interest how’s everyone’s driven boar season going this year.Upto now if it was for hinds etc we would have struggled to have made the bag.

Lateral

Driven boar is just like pheasant shooting, their either there or there not on the day.

boar travel great distances and are not always where they should be.
To some degree, but the way the beaters are organized, beater experience, and their enthusiasm, can make, or break the drives, regardless of how many boar are on the ground.

Overall, I've had a great season so far, even though I've had a couple of poor trips. I'm hoping for one more hunt in February, when Mark from A1 Decoy confirms Turkey. 3 day, 60 boar target, £1500.00 + flight.......... BARGAIN !

Including a few days night hunting in Hungary, I've shot 36 since October, but the obsession will probably bankrupt me :doh:

I have just come back from driven Wild boar in Hungary
I was over there as a guest and all I can say is the best experiance of my life
First drive in total 150 + shoots this was wild boar (Any), red hinds, red calves, fox and jackel.
Myself personally I shot 4 rounds I had a massive kieler early in the drive sneek out and I missed it however later in the drive I manage two red hinds, the drive lasted roughly 4 hours ish from that drive alone 39 wild boar, 9 red hinds and 3 foxes accounted for
Amazing hospitality from all involved and I and my friends with me Could not have had a better experiance
We are now personally looking at going again in April,May or June time
This may be highseat we are not sure yet
But if interested any one please messagee it's not going to break the bank and its a friendly trip not a business trip
Thank you

Lateral

I have just come back from driven Wild boar in Hungary
I was over there as a guest and all I can say is the best experiance of my life
First drive in total 150 + shoots this was wild boar (Any), red hinds, red calves, fox and jackel.
Myself personally I shot 4 rounds I had a massive kieler early in the drive sneek out and I missed it however later in the drive I manage two red hinds, the drive lasted roughly 4 hours ish from that drive alone 39 wild boar, 9 red hinds and 3 foxes accounted for
Amazing hospitality from all involved and I and my friends with me Could not have had a better experiance
We are now personally looking at going again in April,May or June time
This may be highseat we are not sure yet
But if interested any one please messagee it's not going to break the bank and its a friendly trip not a business trip
Thank you
Sounds like a great trip. The driven season will be over by march, so you would be looking at stalking/stand shooting at night. Also great fun, but not the same adrenaline rush.

starr shot

Driven seasons over for me for a now how did everyone do.Must say numbers down this season,but you can only shoot them once.Anybody experience ASF on their trips.

Lateral

We discovered Hungary are destroying all boar by incineration, it seems regardless.

Overall, I have been VERY lucky this season. I did have some pretty disappointing trips, well below expectation, but the good trips more than made up for that.

I mostly shot outside the UK, in Serbia, and Turkey,

Roll on October :thumb:

Sika98k

I did Eastern Romania in late November. It wasn’t great. First day we only saw one boar. We got €150 each knocked off the day. 2nd day the weather was poor.that poor should be in capital letters. Drizzle turned to rain to clear skies and finished off with sleet. The organisers said at the start of day 2 it would be difficult to get the boar to move. 1st drive some 20+ went in a big rush through the beating line. The second drive the weather was atrocious, rain and sleet. A bit difficult when you’re trying to keep still and quiet.
The dogs fought with the boar but only the frischling ran. We got 6 of them.

In Eastern Croatia in January near Dvorak. We shot 22 over 2 days. There weren’t as many as we were led to expect. General chat would seem to indicate that numbers are down. This definitely isn’t reflected in the prices being charged though !

Jagare

I get the feeling that to have reasonable driven boar days now you have to pay in the £2500-£3000 range. There were some good discounted deals to be had on SD this last season. Unfortunately they clashed with other dates for me. The good cheap driven days are a rare animal now. Are the local shooting clubs keeping the best days for themselves and just selling a few days to bring in a bit of income?
This last season I've rethought what i do for driven days. I had 3 good days, deer and boar here in Sweden Much cheaper for me as no flight, airport parking, hunting licence, etc to buy. I'll try and do the same next season with just one or two hunting trips abroad. A trip back to the UK in the Autumn to stalk with a mate is on the cards.
For the price of one good driven day you could buy your self a place in a good stalking syndicate in the UK.
I won't be hunt in any country now that has ASF so I've sadly decided not to hunt Hungary next season.

happyhunt

2 trips to Germany in Nov and Dec produced 1 good day with 28 pigs the rest of the trips were very poor in terms of boar numbers
Last 2 trips to Portugal were very poor with one 3 day trip producing only a few boar on one drive the rest were blanks for the entire team
Hunts were undertaken on both private and public ground
It seems to me that boar numbers are crashing in Europe in the wild but the organisation's are still charging large sums
Public land like in Germany is shot all year so the ground never gets a rest
The more expensive fenced hunts will probably fair better due to their nature but don't suit everyone's pocket or ethics
Future boar trips might have to be further afield like Turkey or Morocco as hunting pressure on boar is not as great

Konnari

1 trip to Poland in November five hunting days in 5 different clubs, four were good hunting with good amount of boars (fewer than last year though) but in one club the hunting was terrible because there was a lot of wolves there and total ban to shoot the wolves and we got only one bore that day !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lateral

1 trip to Poland in November five hunting days in 5 different clubs, four were good hunting with good amount of boars (fewer than last year though) but in one club the hunting was terrible because there was a lot of wolves there and total ban to shoot the wolves and we got only one bore that day !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Club hunting is always a little risky. Club members pay very, very little to hunt, but don't have high expectations.

I was caught out a couple of times when I first started driven hunting, finding out that the agent had booked us on to club hunts, costing €20.00-€50.00 a day, but charging €250.00-€300.00 per day.

Some agents are somewhat more reasonable.

The Wolf is becoming a bigger problem than anyone in the re wilding club thought, Our days last November /December were overshadowed by them.https://www.facebook.com/steve.latham.7315/videos/291005298475203/

filzee

I had one day driven in Spain in January. Very small hunting club so was a free invite.
It was an experience but my local friend said their dogs weren’t good and only one teckle was there and he was the only one doing his job.

I didn’t see a boar but hit a nice red stag which ran over the far bank and into the distance. The locals had no way and no enthusiasm to track it so after we tried we had to abandon it which really disappointed me.