Driven hunts

we're having enough problems at the moment with driven grouse and to a slightly lesser extent driven pheasant and partridge,, ;)
but to be serious I don't know of any, bait and wait seems to be the norm,:thumb:
and there are good sources here on sd.

Driven boar hunts need a prodigious amount of space (remember: the guns all face OUTWARD, unlike for driven birds), and really are not compatible with public footpaths, Right to Roam etc.
I suspect in the UK any public liability insurance would also be prohibitive.
So I would be surprised if they caught on over here, alas.

Driven boar hunts need a prodigious amount of space (remember: the guns all face OUTWARD, unlike for driven birds), and really are not compatible with public footpaths, Right to Roam etc.
I suspect in the UK any public liability insurance would also be prohibitive.
So I would be surprised if they caught on over here, alas.
When we do it here we close off all roads footpaths etc. Shouldn't be too difficult to do there. You don't need a lot of guns or dogs... 4, 5 guns is more than enough. Boar are super easy to track. You just need to find where they sleep and place strategic guns at the exits. 2 or three bat **** crazy dogs and your set to go. You don't need a whole lot of space.

When we do it here we close off all roads footpaths etc. Shouldn't be too difficult to do there. You don't need a lot of guns or dogs... 4, 5 guns is more than enough. Boar are super easy to track. You just need to find where they sleep and place strategic guns at the exits. 2 or three bat **** crazy dogs and your set to go. You don't need a whole lot of space.
And maybe a couple of trees to climb. :thumb:

ha,ha,ha,ha, If only,,, :rofl: here there would be a plethora of online petitions, various tabloid gutter press sensationalist shock headlines complete with pics of cute little striped piglets, not to mention the local animal rights groups doing there utmost to disrupt the whole show. not to mention we don't have boar everywhere [yet] so where it were possible with regard to safety and possibility, may not have any boar present.

There was a Fieldsports Britain video a while back where a couple of guys did driven munty hunting.

I agree it would be harder to do in the UK as compared to some places in Europe but conceivably it could be done.

No doubt the second the antis caught whiff off it though there would be the usual predictable howls of outrage from batty, fatty and ****ty, those of a Guardian reading disposition etc. ;)

There was a Fieldsports Britain video a while back where a couple of guys did driven munty hunting.

I agree it would be harder to do in the UK as compared to some places in Europe but conceivably it could be done.

No doubt the second the antis caught whiff off it though there would be the usual predictable howls of outrage from batty, fatty and ****ty, those of a Guardian reading disposition etc. ;)

you bugger,,, now I got to wash the coffee from the keyboard again. :rofl:

and possibility, may not have any boar present.
thats why when we do mini drives we track them for miles and miles to figure out where they are holed up for the day... usually start before sunrise on the tracking, the drive will usually be over in 10/15min.

Im not talking huge events with fanfare and adds in the local paper... nice quick hunts before lunch and maybe another one after lunch if there were two sets of track found in the morning...

understanding boar habits in various weather and the countryside is key

forest of dean has plenty of boar, 200 odd miles from me, should take between 60 -100 hours to do that if the boar co-operate well, good luck driving them up the a11 , I'll keep an eye out for you in 4 days time,, can you blow a horn or something to let me know where you are.:rofl:;) weather looks good for the rest of the week.:thumb:

How much of the Forest of Dean is Forestry Commission, and hence public access?

I have seen that driven muntjac film, and it is good. But I suspect the work that went into siting the (single) gun, and ensuring safe backstops would be multiplied many times over for a proper driven shoot.

As an example, the shoot if do for boar in mid-France has around 20 guns, and similar number of dogs. Each gun is c.100 metres apart, so we cover a perimeter of nearly 2km. But what in another life I would call the "safety template" needs to extend many hundreds of metres out from that, even shooting in a forest from raised platforms.

I am sure there are a few estates in the UK where that could be arranged, but good luck closing public footpaths etc!

Do we have driven hunts for wild boar in the UK or is that just in other parts of Europe?

The simple answer is No. To successfully drive boar would require a large number of suitably trained dogs which would be contrary to Hunting Act 2004 (hunting with dogs).

How much of the Forest of Dean is Forestry Commission, and hence public access?

I have seen that driven muntjac film, and it is good. But I suspect the work that went into siting the (single) gun, and ensuring safe backstops would be multiplied many times over for a proper driven shoot.

As an example, the shoot if do for boar in mid-France has around 20 guns, and similar number of dogs. Each gun is c.100 metres apart, so we cover a perimeter of nearly 2km. But what in another life I would call the "safety template" needs to extend many hundreds of metres out from that, even shooting in a forest from raised platforms.

I am sure there are a few estates in the UK where that could be arranged, but good luck closing public footpaths etc!

Who is permitted to shoot the feral wild boar in the Forest of Dean district?
Wild boar on the public forest estate (land managed by the Forestry Commission) may only be shot by the professional, authorised wildlife rangers employed by the Forestry Commission. The shooting of boar on Forestry Commission land is regulated by internal guidance and is subject to regular skills testing and safety audits to ensure that there is no risk to members of the public accessing the Forest.

(remember: the guns all face OUTWARD, unlike for driven birds)

That maybe true for some of the ‘battue’ days in France, but it can indeed be more like a driven day in the U.K. elsewhere in Europe, with the beaters pushing boar through the line of guns for three or more drives in a day. There is also the Spanish and Portuguese ‘monteria’ where you’ll be allocated a peg for the duration and several dog packs will be working the area from different directions, meaning that the boar can come from anywhere.

If someone arranged a driven boar hunt in the UK why would the anti's and the press turn up? Are people going to put up posters and advertise in their local paper shop that a driven hunt was being held. Don't people know their hunting ground and safe lines of fire. I understand that quite a few driven deer days happen in the UK so why not boar? Thousand of pheasant shoots take place ever year without too many problems
A couple of years ago we had a beaters day on a pheasant shoot i worked my spaniel on, sadly they don't shoot pheasant any more. The day was hoofed game in the morning and pheasants after lunch. 4 dogs with handlers and a very few beater did two small drives with 8 boar shot. I don't see any problem why that would not work in the UK. You don't need a mass of dogs.

If someone arranged a driven boar hunt in the UK why would the anti's and the press turn up? Are people going to put up posters and advertise in their local paper shop that a driven hunt was being held. Don't people know their hunting ground and safe lines of fire. I understand that quite a few driven deer days happen in the UK so why not boar? Thousand of pheasant shoots take place ever year without too many problems
A couple of years ago we had a beaters day on a pheasant shoot i worked my spaniel on, sadly they don't shoot pheasant any more. The day was hoofed game in the morning and pheasants after lunch. 4 dogs with handlers and a very few beater did two small drives with 8 boar shot. I don't see any problem why that would not work in the UK. You don't need a mass of dogs.

Yes I know my hunting ground,, every square inch of it, I could probably find my round if I were struck blind! how well do you know it, can you tell me how many boar are on it? I can,
I don't seek to ridicule anyone but this is not europe, and whats easily possible in europe is not so easy here for many reasons. our laws just being one.
as for antis, well of course nobody puts an add in the paper,, we have seasons we know when they are, so do they, its not hard to spot a shoot day anywhere in the uk there's quite a bit of gunfire going on, and virtually every village or town has its antis network.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jagare , I think if i'm correct 4 dogs for hoofed game is two too many, as in hunting with dogs. (UK Law). :tiphat:

Yes I know my hunting ground,, every square inch of it, I could probably find my round if I were struck blind! how well do you know it, can you tell me how many boar are on it? I can,
I don't seek to ridicule anyone but this is not europe, and whats easily possible in europe is not so easy here for many reasons.
Thats the point. you know your ground and if you had boar whether its suitable for driven boar or not. Not all ground is suitable just the same as applies in Europe. I've been on lots of ground in the UK that would be OK for driven boar if there were any. Just because its not traditional in the UK doesn't mean its not possible.

Back