Essex FAC licensing

Our passion is your passion... stalk with us!

T.eddie

Hi all,
Not sure if this is the right place to post the question but here it goes and thanks in advance for any info.

While on my first deerstalk, the stalker was surprised that I didn't have my own rifle/FAC so that I could practice shooting from sticks as this was the first time I had done it, my response was that I didnt have land/permission so Havent put in for it. He advised if you are paying for stalks you can still get your FAC.

Looking at the legislation it appears i could, but has anyone had experience with this in Essex and has it caused issues?

Thanks again for any knowledge shared and hope everyone is staying safe

palmer_mike

My initial grant of FAC was from Essex police and my justification was on the basis of paid stalking, exactly as you describe above

T.eddie

My initial grant of FAC was from Essex police and my justification was on the basis of paid stalking, exactly as you describe above
Oh that's great, I'm due to speak with the FO at some point this week, when he gives me a call. I'm thinking a .243 would be the best calibre to go for as a general 1st stalking rifle and should hopefully have the least amount of worry from their perspective. Do you think that's the best way to go?

palmer_mike

Oh that's great, I'm due to speak with the FO at some point this week, when he gives me a call. I'm thinking a .243 would be the best calibre to go for as a general 1st stalking rifle and should hopefully have the least amount of worry from their perspective. Do you think that's the best way to go?
I applied for (and was granted) a .243 and a .308 at initial grant. I justified the .308 as this was for larger deer species that were present where I would be stalking.

Dont just ask for the .243 because you don’t want to upset them. Ask for whatever you want but think hard about how your going to justify having it (if you have reason for it they’ll grant it)

T.eddie

I applied for (and was granted) a .243 and a .308 at initial grant. I justified the .308 as this was for larger deer species that were present where I would be stalking.

Dont just ask for the .243 because you don’t want to upset them. Ask for whatever you want but think hard about how your going to justify having it (if you have reason for it they’ll grant it)
Oh yeah that is a good point thank you I'll make sure I do think long and hard on the stalking I'll be aiming to do

palmer_mike

Oh yeah that is a good point thank you I'll make sure I do think long and hard on the stalking I'll be aiming to do
To be fair, once Essex police were satisfied that the land I had stalking booked on was passed for .308 there wasn’t any argument from them about me having it granted

T.eddie

That's good!the stalking I'll most consistently be doing is in thetford forest which has fallows, reds, roses and muntjac so the argument for both should he quite reasonable

T.eddie

I know! Had one walk right past me on my stalk but as it was with basc we werent allowed to have it as quarry! Couldn't believe it

TundB

It's worth to join a rifle club, or complete DSC1 training which are solid reasons to get FAC granted.

Apart from these, paid stalkings are also counted as experience by Essex Police.

While i am getting my FAC i remember getting recommendation letters from the guides i went out with which worked well.

T.eddie

It's worth to join a rifle club, or complete DSC1 training which are solid reasons to get FAC granted.

Apart from these, paid stalkings are also counted as experience by Essex Police.

While i am getting my FAC i remember getting recommendation letters from the guides i went out with which worked well.
Thank you, I was part of southend rifle and pistol club, but when I changed jobs I couldn't get there im time/as frequently so thought it best to leave. I'm currently looking into getting my DSC1 completed also

The recommendation letters are a good idea, I'll start collecting those

Thank you

Night Vision Store