Fencing problem for deer (Again)

Decoyman

Anyone else got photo’s to share of this problem?

All that mess is electric sheep netting, I mostly have to cull deer when they are in this state but this animal is so stressed the meat would not be good. The problem is that sheep farmers take the sheep off when the grass is low and bring them back at a later date when it’s up again so leaving the fence up with no shock to it. As you know a buck in velvet rubs against things, mostly trees and tree tubes but in this case it was the fence post and it ended up this way. Football nets left down are another big problem and the net has had it when I’m finished cutting deer free.

Sorting out a Fallow! (Again)

Attachments

• 5E7202C5-6580-426D-94E6-54D9D2BF04F2.jpeg
    5E7202C5-6580-426D-94E6-54D9D2BF04F2.jpeg
    343.6 KB · Views: 124
  • D03905D6-6F8E-4EDB-AEF2-716E0C5F98E9.jpeg
    D03905D6-6F8E-4EDB-AEF2-716E0C5F98E9.jpeg
    556.4 KB · Views: 123
  • 273176DA-BE8B-42D4-AE68-51F0C2DA1998.jpeg
    273176DA-BE8B-42D4-AE68-51F0C2DA1998.jpeg
    577.7 KB · Views: 118
well done, fingers crossed he makes it.
I cut an old jacob ram free once and he was as calm as could be almost as though he knew I was helping him, I reckon it was a little more nerve racking for a wild fallow buck, and you too perhaps. :thumb:

well done, fingers crossed he makes it.
I cut an old jacob ram free once and he was as calm as could be almost as though he knew I was helping him, I reckon it was a little more nerve racking for a wild fallow buck, and you too perhaps. :thumb:
I’ve rescued so many now it’s getting easier, I doubt I would try it with a spiker though, this one was a struggle only for the first minute and his movement was limited, never try it on your own!

I haven’t used this sort of electric fence in decades!! Got fed up of finding either dead or strung up lambs in them even with a good current. I’m not about to apologise for other sheep farmers, it’s just lazy leaving them up in fields whilst there’s no stock and or current running through them..... think I’d of shot the beast first mind as wouldn’t want to get injured by one and also if the poor bugger has a cut that could get fly blown he won’t be very happy in a week or so. Just my opinion.....

got called in to dispatch two fallow bucks caught up in a old tennis net, they will always find something to get tangled in

Attachments

• DC1081D7-AC07-4696-B71D-14D8B79F8F0A.jpeg
    DC1081D7-AC07-4696-B71D-14D8B79F8F0A.jpeg
    530.7 KB · Views: 98
Yep stock fencing will catch them by the legs as they jump over and fawns trying to follow their mother get stuck trying to get through, we have all seen it I’m sure.

Fair play to u John.

I used to attempt to do the same with fallow in wire fences.
But i changed the way I looked at it.

If u were out stalking and glassing some deer would the buck released with its injured head not become the ideal cull buck?
Or a deer limping after being struck in a fence, esp if u weren't the person who released it becomes an obvious cull animal?

So it would depend if u were stalking and these injured deer would otherwise be top of the cull list or ud leave/monitor a deer hoping it would recover?

It might also depend on the deer population of the ground, if ur trying to bring numbers down ur possibly as well just PTSing the deer

I have to admit I originally fed fenced and odd road kill deer to dogs, now I eat more and more off it. Althou been a while since I got 1 as density dropping to better levels
I just clearly label it in freezer and use it for curries etc so the quality of venison is not so critical.
Even the bad leg of a fenced deer usually has a lot of blood in it, I just butcher it shortly after killing it and soak the bad leg in some salt water and lemons to take out a lot off blood.
Meat is usually ok, well atleast to my taste buds, I've even just fried/steamed some of better cuts esp on BBQ and it's ok

Hats off to you for the effort and risk taken fella ! I'm no small item at 6'5" and (ahem) 'solidly built' ;) but I had a hell of a job with a fallow buck a couple of years back when it got itself caught up in some old netting. A 30 minute battle ensued wherein I was dragged through 2 small streams, a hell of a lot of thistles and nettles ,and more mud than I thought there was on the shoot :lol: Managed to wrap the netting round a tree and pin the beast in position eventually and cut him free but vowed the next one would get a 'helpful' 130grains of 'nighty-night Mr Fallow'.

Longstrider said "Hats off to you for the effort and risk taken fella !"
I will certainly second that. It's not something that I would be willing to try on my own. Here's a picture of one that I was notified of yesterday, far to late to try to do anything as the poor buck has probably been dead at least two weeks.

IMG_0253.JPG

There was another similar incident back last year when another buck entangled itself in the electric tape fence. It was not 50 yards away from where this unfortunate beast was found. On that occasion the buck managed to free itself but I found at least 150 yards of electric tape all ripped apart in the surrounding plantation. At a later date I shot a buck with a snapped off antler on the right side of his head and wondered if it was a result of that entanglement. That head now sits on the wall above my reloading bench.
Following yesterdays discovery the landowner immediately decided to remove all similar electric fencing from their ground and I was happy to assist them in doing so.

Longstrider said "Hats off to you for the effort and risk taken fella !"
I will certainly second that. It's not something that I would be willing to try on my own. Here's a picture of one that I was notified of yesterday, far to late to try to do anything as the poor buck has probably been dead at least two weeks.

View attachment 136151

There was another similar incident back last year when another buck entangled itself in the electric tape fence. It was not 50 yards away from where this unfortunate beast was found. On that occasion the buck managed to free itself but I found at least 150 yards of electric tape all ripped apart in the surrounding plantation. At a later date I shot a buck with a snapped off antler on the right side of his head and wondered if it was a result of that entanglement. That head now sits on the wall above my reloading bench.
Following yesterdays discovery the landowner immediately decided to remove all similar electric fencing from their ground and I was happy to assist them in doing so.

That's pretty upsetting. Good decision by the landowner: shows he's a decent fella.

That's pretty upsetting. Good decision by the landowner: shows he's a decent fella.

Yes they are pretty decent caring people who like to do the right thing. On top of that they enjoy the venison and would enjoy the boar meat too when the almost inevitable happens and the boar spread to their land from the adjoining areas. Something that they are certainly not looking forward to, having had previous experience with boar in Germany.
I'm really glad that they decided to remove the electric fencing especially as later on I watched as two does along with three young crossed the field from one wood to the next twice crossing where the fence had just been removed from.

Here is the head of the buck with the broken antler that I mentioned previously and that I suspect was a result of a fencing entanglement.

IMG_0272.JPG

Back