Firearms demand medical report

CWMMAN3738

I have recently received a letter from my firearms licensing department regarding my renewal, it states " To enable your application to progress we require a medical report from your General Practioner (GP) detailing the background to your condition, the affects it may have & a discription of the medication or treatment you received & are currently receiving. Please send the original report signed by the GP, not a copy, to FLD GWENT Police." it goes on to say "I have enclosed a letter to your GP which will assist in formulating in a medical report. You are responsible for the payment of any cost incurred from your GP which will not be reimbursed by GWENT police. In order to avoid any delay with you application, please return the original medical report ( not a copy) within 4 weeks of the date of this letter.".
First let me say that I received the letter today 31st October but it is dated the 19th of October.

Is there a legal requirement for me to do this as I object on principle my medical condition hasn't changed in 20 yrs throught my previous applications & have never been asked for this previously!
Being meticulous I list everything I have ever had wrong with me like my asthma, a shoulder operation, and a discussion I had with my doc at the time about depreshion following the death of my son 20+ years ago for which I had a months supply of Prozac which I never took and never had to or anything else related. I have disclosed these on all previous applications without problem so as not to be found hiding anything but am disgusted that now they seem interested in something that happened over 20yrs ago, I will not be obtaining a report unless it is absolutely nessasary or a legal requirement I would rather stand up to them & not roll over.

Is this a legal requirement now?

I have recently received a letter from my firearms licensing department regarding my renewal, it states " To enable your application to progress we require a medical report from your General Practioner (GP) detailing the background to your condition, the affects it may have & a discription of the medication or treatment you received & are currently receiving. Please send the original report signed by the GP, not a copy, to FLD GWENT Police." it goes on to say "I have enclosed a letter to your GP which will assist in formulating in a medical report. You are responsible for the payment of any cost incurred from your GP which will not be reimbursed by GWENT police. In order to avoid any delay with you application, please return the original medical report ( not a copy) within 4 weeks of the date of this letter.".
First let me say that I received the letter today 31st October but it is dated the 19th of October.

Is there a legal requirement for me to do this as I object on principle my medical condition hasn't changed in 20 yrs throught my previous applications & have never been asked for this previously!
Being meticulous I list everything I have ever had wrong with me like my asthma, a shoulder operation, and a discussion I had with my doc at the time about depreshion following the death of my son 20+ years ago for which I had a months supply of Prozac which I never took and never had to or anything else related. I have disclosed these on all previous applications without problem so as not to be found hiding anything but am disgusted that now they seem interested in something that happened over 20yrs ago, I will not be obtaining a report unless it is absolutely nessasary or a legal requirement I would rather stand up to them & not roll over.

Is this a legal requirement now?
No it isn't law, refer it to whichever organisation you belong to Durham were at it earlier

I noticed the other day on the North Yorkshire Police firearms page:

"Payment for GP Reports requested in connection with Applications for Firearm & Shotgun Certificates: CC Andy Marsh, the lead for the Firearms & Explosives Licensing Working Group, has recommended that where a medical report is considered proportionate the applicant be written to making them aware and putting the onus on the applicant to pay for and provide a report from their GP"

They go on to attach a letter that I hope I have attached to the post as a PDF.
View attachment ACPO_letter.pdf

Not sure about this, there's been a lot of speculation recently about medical records and FAC applications.

It sound's like an arse covering exercise to me, you know in case someone goes Tonto they can say "well we did everything we could" when it eventually comes out that the person had a previous history of depression (albeit 20yrs ago)

Difficult one... comply and make life easier or fight it and delay your renewal????

​However you decide to proceed, Good Luck

Nice try Gwent, trying to get the applicant to pay for a report that they should be paying for. :evil:

When it happens to me, and it will. I will contact my shooting organisation and write back to Gwent confirming that I have already given them authority to approach my doctor on my application form, and politely remind them that they will be responsible for any costs charged by the doctor.

Sounds to me like they're trying it on I'd get in touch with your organization and get them to contact the FLD , I have albeit some years ago suffered with depression and stress which I was treated for , on my latest application ( after returning from living abroad ) they just asked from a letter from my gp I sent that in and it was fine

I think they have no legal basis for this. Check with your organisation (you are a member of one aren't you?)

David.

Spoke to Mike Evelyn at BASC as allways extremely helpful & informative, it is not a legal requirement and as stated they have been given permission to approach my doctor if they feel the need.
I have contacted them & pointed this out in no uncertain terms & that I will not be obtaining a report, as they have processed all my previous applications having investigated it at the time & there should be no need to reinvestigate it at each renewal if my circumstances have not changed. A nice lad called Matt has just rung me back to tell me that having looked at my file & discussed it with his manager I may disregard the letter sent to me & they will proceed with my application it was sent out by a new admin assistant with no knowledge of my file as per routine folliwing guidance, result lets hope there are no more hiccups!

Whilst I appreciate the costs to the FLD are more than the renewal fee if they proceed I feel that they need to put their house in order in order to save money not try it on with licence holders.

Nice try Gwent, trying to get the applicant to pay for a report that they should be paying for. :evil:

When it happens to me, and it will. I will contact my shooting organisation and write back to Gwent confirming that I have already given them authority to approach my doctor on my application form, and politely remind them that they will be responsible for any costs charged by the doctor.

If you are involved in the production / obtaining of the medical report, by default the report may contain bias towards you, given that you will have sight of the report and may be able to influence how it is written. If the police ask questions directly of your GP, the GP is under no pressure from you, and can provide an unbiased opinion - albeit it may be one that you may not like.

Speaking as a member of the public, the whole reason for Firearms Licencing is to ensure that only "fit and Proper" persons have access to firearms. They must take truly independent views of your suitability, both from your referrees and GP if required. Its for this reason that your references should be written with you being present and sent directly to the FLO, and it should be similar for your GP if they are contacted by the FLO.

I quite agree but this has no basis in public safety it is simply a arse covering exercise with an attempt to divert he cost & save FLD work & money!
If you are involved in the production / obtaining of the medical report, by default the report may contain bias towards you, given that you will have sight of the report and may be able to influence how it is written. If the police ask questions directly of your GP, the GP is under no pressure from you, and can provide an unbiased opinion - albeit it may be one that you may not like.

Speaking as a member of the public, the whole reason for Firearms Licencing is to ensure that only "fit and Proper" persons have access to firearms. They must take truly independent views of your suitability, both from your referrees and GP if required. Its for this reason that your references should be written with you being present and sent directly to the FLO, and it should be similar for your GP if they are contacted by the FLO.

Whilst I appreciate the costs to the FLD are more than the renewal fee if they proceed I feel that they need to put their house in order in order to save money not try it on with licence holders.

THIS! Why are they wasting time on things that don't matter? A friend was contacted the other day about an incident that occured...17 years ago (his ex-wife causing trouble, complaint dropped within an hour of making it and it was never even mentioned to him at the time so they can't have been that worried)! He's obviously been through severel renewals since then with no issue but now they have decided to confiscate his gun until they investigate. Incidentally, they dropped it off at my house for 'safe keeping'. I had to inform them that I could only hold it for 72 hours without it being added to my ticket! The officers, who were hugely appologetic for "wasting out time", said they have 700 cases like this to plough through.

Now either they are wasting resources or admitting that they failed to do their job at least 4 times in the past (initial complaint and 3 subsequent renewals). I am therefore, not very simpathetic that they opperate at a loss.

The way some police forces work they'll be revoking your ticket for athletes foot does your head in.

Sorry to hear about your son mate, my brother is in his second year since loosing his boy at 17.

Good luck to you, some good advice been given

There must be some reason for this , best go with the flow & get it resolved, as it always works to your advantage in the end ;)

There must be some reason for this , best go with the flow & get it resolved, as it always works to your advantage in the end ;)
No none and best stand up for yourself & your rights not lie down or bend over & take it up the arse, too much of that has landed us where we are today IMHO!

On a happier note had my FEO visit today for renewals & variation with no problems very nice chap, and all just a formality tickets will be back ASAP, need to start looking for the new toys, lol.

Back