First Aid Kit?

Shabz

Can anyone recommend a decent first aid kit to keep in my truck? I’m thinking trauma kit for chainsaw or gunshot wounds type of stuff. Celox and tourniquets, that sort of stuff but in a ready to buy kit that I can mount in the cab somewhere?

Shabz

I’m going to claim the cost back from work so I’m looking to only put one receipt in.

DVS1

These do various kits but may be worth looking to put your own together with bits you know your most likely to need. This firm will get a good base kit though

IFAK

Pedro

Make a list of what you want, then go to a chemist and get the stuff on the list. One receipt. And it can't be beyond the wit of man to source a box.

The ready-made kits are, of necessity a catch-all collection of stuff, it's always better to concoct your own. You can add stuff you are more likely to need (hopefully not though).

tomblincoe

Most of the stuff in first aid kits are for very minor injuries (plasters etc).

I would supplement any first aid kit with a CAT tourniquet (or two) preferably in bright orange so they don't get missed and also some celox gauze or quikclot. Those are the things that will save a life...

Stalker1962

Notwithstanding the obvious benefit of carrying a "proper" first-aid kit - which (in extremis) you will need to survive a catastrophic gunshot injury or to stop arterial bleeding...

In relation to stalking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a badly bruised ego?

Mike_E

Just did a EFAW+F course and it was made apparent a tourniquet and celox type of first aid are used in a major arterial bleed scenario and needs to be administered in ~2minutes or you bleed out. If you send someone back to the car even just 5min away for the kit you either did not need it in the 1st place or you are a goner.

Best carried on person....

tomblincoe

Just did a EFAW+F course and it was made apparent a tourniquet and celox type of first aid are used in a major arterial bleed scenario and needs to be administered in ~2minutes or you bleed out. If you send someone back to the car even just 5min away for the kit you either did not need it in the 1st place or you are a goner.

It's all relative and depends on the injury.

It's better to have a tourniquet 5 min away than none at all but I agree with you and carry one and celox in my small stalking pack that I wear. I think gunshot wounds are pretty unlikely (but that recent ND in the New Forest was very lucky as it sounds like it missed bone and major vessels) but sticking a knife in your leg when gralloching is a real possibility...

Mike_E

agree 100%.

to answer the specific question about a pre-packed kit... this one was reference on the course.

edit to add - ring them up and they will swap the celox granules for a celox bandage ....

Shabz

I carry a personal first aid kit with a tourniquet and Celox powder in it, I’ve had it for years from when I was a tree surgeon. The kit in the car is for more generic stuff and if I need more of the trauma kit or if I come across an injured chainsaw operator/mountain biker.

I met a young lad in Ae Forest one day who had fell off his bike and broke his wrist. His arm looked about three inches longer than it should do. I nearly blew chunks.

Shabz

agree 100%.

to answer the specific question about a pre-packed kit... this one was reference on the course.

edit to add - ring them up and they will swap the celox granules for a celox bandage ....

That’s exactly what I was looking for.

YoungGun

Med Tree act paks are also good. Small enough to got in big pocket.

Erik Hamburger

A roll of electricians insulation tape can be very useful for all kinds of emergency repairs, including to fix deep cuts temporarily and as an an improvised tourniquet. If you fold over the first few inches back on itself you can easily find the beginning lip and apply it one-handed and maybe even using your teeth to pull of the first bit. The other thing I carry (In my Stalking bag) is an Israeli Combat Dressing - again you it is designed so you could apply it to yourself if need be. My third first aid item is a lengths of a few meters of para-cord.

Triggermortis

So what’s glaringly obvious is a missed opportunity for one of the traders on here to offer a ready made first aid kit bespoke for stalkers, come on someone pick this up and run with it !!!!
All said and done a decent no frills kit would be an excellent accessory to offer with any rifle package?

digs

SP Services (UK) Ltd - Emergency Medical Supplies Ifak

I’ve bought items from these guys - always had good service -
If it’s work related - your employer may need to supply a basic first aid at work kit in the car - it’s filled full of stuff - some more useful then other stuff.
Above is a link to the trauma first aid kits more geared up to massive trauma - as you say gunshot wound etc - going for a kit like a IFAK - individual first aid kit - is the basic stuff, plenty of information out there on how to use it etc

kit is good but training is better - especially when it comes to first aid - just do a forestry styled one or one geared up up / suitable to discus gunshot wounds or you may get some strange looks at a st.John’s ambo course at the local village hall....