Available: Follow on from Sika Malcs advice.

Tulloch

As many of you know I run a number of syndicates and stalking for a couple of companies in the Highlands and North East of Scotland.

Sikamalc gave some very sound advice when it comes to taking on deer syndicate much of it I agree 100%.

There are exceptions and this has been made clear to me with almost 10 years now dealing with syndicates and selling places.

Scrutiny is one thing but be mindful of blatant attacks and disgruntled people who have failed to get a place, cannot afford a place or worst of all dont like the fact a certain place is being shot at all.

Many of you you have witnessed the abuse I have recieved in the past and many have commented on how unwarranted it was or is, this has been mainly due to personal grievances with the owner that are directed at me instead, in the end I am just an agent.

Just a few ammendments to what Malc has said, walking the ground is more important than listening to rumours, work it out for yourself.

Yes make sure paperwork is available, we do however have a policy NOT to hand out maps willy nilly, I had a guy driving about one of our woods a couple of years ago spotting deer with thermal, then when it came to payment it was "problem with the bank" "I will sort it next week" then when I caught him driving through the wood unauthorised I had to tell him he was no longer welcome, be mindful there might be existing members on the qood also.

I ALWAYS allow potential clients to walk the ground on their own, if the place doesnt feel right for you then walk away. All I ask is let me know the day your going in.

We transition our woods genuinely on the off season between March and May so the likely hood of other members being on the ground is slim part from the odd Roe day.

The companies I deal with are fully legit and open all our leases have clear rules and details on the and may change from year to year as the wood environment changes.

We have currently 68 members on our books and majority I speak to regularly, we have had an amazing stag season this year and some top notch deer been taken. So roll on 2020.

One more thing I may add, many on here are members and one thing I cannot do by law is pass members details to other members, it is against the law plain and simple am afraid, it is a question that is always asked and the answer is the same.

Please please please read ALL the advert before asking questions, it is time consuming for both you and the agent and is a major eye roll when potential clients never read past the title of the post.

Although I am heavily scrutinised I am clear ( more clear than most ) of everything entailed in our syndicate places, from how to book days and rough location. Know your geography, Inverness means Inverness and if Inverness is too far then don't even bother asking. I cannot change the price if its advertised as such and such then thats what it is. This price is not dictated to by me or set by me.

One thing I need to be clear on, this industry is heavily scrutinised snd rightly so but remember there is bad syndicates out there but remember there are also bad syndicate members unfortunately legally it is easier for those bad members to speak out than what it is for the companies to speak about individual members.

Anyways before I go let me list what our syndicates offer and then you can decide how it compares to others.

24/7 advice and contact for emergencies,
If your having issues booking days or accessing your wood due to weather etc, our portfolio allows us to put you day elsewhere.

The right to keep ALL the deer you shoot no extra cost.

Other oppertunities such as fishing etc

Freedom to shoot on your own on your own booked days. If you book your day it is only you that is shooting that location that day.

The freedom to take your own guest, if shooting the need to be supervised by you and only one rifle on the ground.

A written lease with maps.

Only extra cost would be uf you need an extraction service, usually just the price or retaining a carcass.

Anyway happy hunting.

Atb

David

Last edited:

Tulloch

You never going to keep everyone happy mate. With 40 years stalking behind me now I have seen most things and some people should not go deer stalking or own a rifle, not many I might add but now and again one meets them!
I agree .

I thought your post was very informative and showed massive knowledge in the industry ( far greater than my knowledge ) I just felt there were a few additions needed. A lot of guys come to me each year , usually when there is nothing available I may add, saying they struggle to decide on whether to take on a syndicate or not and usually decide not too and then land with no shooting at all.

More and more constabularies are demanding people have deer permissions when asking for a large calibre rifle and it is getting hard for individuals to either get a FAC or large calibre approval on their tickets because of the lack of ground availability that supports deer.

A few members have asked in the past if a list of approved companies can be provided in regards to syndicates but again thats impossible as each and every person has their own experience so compiling that list may not be as easy as some think.

There was one thing I missed in my post, if a location is very accessible then bare in mind it will also be very busy, if you have 5 members on a wood even if all are sticking to a 3 day rule the calendar can fair fill up quickly if people can get to it easy. So dont always look what is easy access some times the more far reaching to location is the more fruitful it can be .

sikadog

Choosing a syndicate is not always straight forword, a group of us decided to look at some ground to take on, It was FC ground we view it we walked it we lamped it, lots and lots of deer.
We needed 2 extra members, we showed them around they viewed lots of deer.
SO we took out the lease, the paperwork took about 10 weeks to sort out, we were all mad to make a start, the first 15 outings no one even saw the back end of a deer.
They had put contractors on it while they were doing the paperwork,
The cull figures were 60 roe and 20 reds.
We shot 20 roe and 4 reds
I know that the contractors had been on it because I met 2 of them in the local pub one evening, their comment was we spent every hour on it we could until we ran out of things to shoot.
So be carefull it is not always the guy running the syndicate that is at fault.

AGR

Choosing a syndicate is not always straight forword, a group of us decided to look at some ground to take on, It was FC ground we view it we walked it we lamped it, lots and lots of deer.
SO we took out the lease, the paperwork took about 10 weeks to sort out, we were all mad to make a start, the first 15 outings no one even saw the back end of a deer.
I know that the contractors had been on it because I met 2 of them in the local pub one evening, their comment was we spent every hour on it we could until we ran out of things to shoot.
That is outrageous!

foxinmad

Been there and had that done to me and a few others on a syndicate a few years ago, the only difference was the leaseholder knew the contractors were in at night using thermal to clean up and forgot to mention that to the syndicate members. And you would have thought butter would not melt in his mouth the p---k.

jimbo1984

No:oops::oops:.....I’m stunned

Freeforester

Been there and had that done to me and a few others on a syndicate a few years ago, the only difference was the leaseholder knew the contractors were in at night using thermal to clean up and forgot to mention that to the syndicate members. And you would have thought butter would not melt in his mouth the p---k.
Common practice within the FC, I had the same, I know of min two other leaseholders where this was their MO.

Moray Outfitting

Yes Sikadog, If an agent gives you a quote of how many deer were taken in the year before he took over, go to a local who might know the truth. I know of acouple of situations where large numbers were suposedly taken and I knew it was only a fraction that was true. J

Chasey

Would never do it either way, all it takes is a fall out between members that land up making me liable.
If your holding the members information then you need to have a data protection policy in place anyway and each member needs to sign acceptance of said policy and its contents. So if it includes putting members in contact with other members you shouldn't have a problem? We put two people on some of our sites and when we do they need to pre arrange the day, so they have to be in touch or they could screw up each others stalk. The alternative would seem to be me acting as a moderator and organising all the days? That would leave me open to possable claim id have thaught?

Tulloch

If your holding the members information then you need to have a data protection policy in place anyway and each member needs to sign acceptance of said policy and its contents. So if it includes putting members in contact with other members you shouldn't have a problem? We put two people on some of our sites and when we do they need to pre arrange the day, so they have to be in touch or they could screw up each others stalk. The alternative would seem to be me acting as a moderator and organising all the days? That would leave me open to possable claim id have thaught?
Our policy is not to have more than one gun on site at any one time

North Stalker

I took on a syndicate place from a member on here who failed to notify anyone that it had been contracted out (Above the Estates head) due to the nature of the ground. It had been shot out fully. Unfortunately through 3rd persons I found out and then notified other syndicate members of the situation.
I was offered the next year free but didn’t even bother wasting fuel on the journey.

North Stalker

Dosnt paint a good picture and without references I can’t see why anyone who isnt desperate would enter into any contract without talking to someone on the ground .
I certainly would never part with money on the sole say so of an agent .
He's a very active person on here, he actually contacted me. No agent was involved. Going off what he said and his reputation, I assumed everything was good.

foxdropper

Tulloch is the agent mate .
I was on the verge of signing up myself mate but the lack of any allowed communication with any other syndicate member rang alarm bells .Just my own take on what could turn out to be a very good thing .
It would be easy to find them through this forum I know but rather it came from the agent himself .If it’s as good as the speel why not let others endorse it .

Last edited:

riflerob

Tulloch is the agent mate .
I was on the verge of signing up myself mate but the lack of any allowed communication with any other syndicate member rang alarm bells .Just my own take on what could turn out to be a very good thing .
It would be easy to find them through this forum I know but rather it came from the agent himself .If it’s as good as the steel why not let others endorse it .
He has very clearly explained why he is not going to do that, and his explanation makes a lot of sense.
All it takes is one person feeling (rightly or wrongly) that they're not getting a good deal, and he's got all sorts of issues - including potential for a member/ex-member to be harassing others.

foxdropper

Lol that is exactly what a reference does mate ,good or bad .Call me sceptical if you like but it’s in the back of my mind there’s something to hide and the high turnover of members does nothing to support otherwise.If someone was disgruntled I’d like to know why but I would be able to distinguish between a genuine grievance and a silly feud just by talking to someone .The cloak and dagger may appeal to some but not me mate and is the reason I won’t deal with any outfit that isn’t totally transparent .Other syndicates are free to contact members and nothing to hide

Uncle f

He has very clearly explained why he is not going to do that, and his explanation makes a lot of sense.
All it takes is one person feeling (rightly or wrongly) that they're not getting a good deal, and he's got all sorts of issues - including potential for a member/ex-member to be harassing others.
That just sounds ridiculous. Can’t imagine a shooting be it game or deer or even a fishing type Sydicate where members can’t communicate together prior during and after membership Sounds like there may well be stuff to hide and also possible safety issues