GS Bullets – Getting started

I read a fair few posts on here singing the praises of GS Custom monolithics so I decided to give them a crack. Hopefully some useful info below as it took a bit of digging initially and I’d put off trying them for a while as it all seemed a bit hard! Trust me, it’s not 😊

Firstly, the GS Custom website is a car crash!!! Every time you click a link, it opens a new window / tab and it's horrible to navigate. Finding the right bullet you need is a minefield so here’s the idiots guide:
  • You want HV Drive Band bullets for stalking – link: GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Recommended Use and Technical Data
  • Bullets are numbered as follows: 3 digit calibre, 3 digit weight (grains), bullet type (HV), final 3 digits are the GS product code. So 264095HV134 is a 95gn HV bullet in 264 calibre.
  • General consensus is go light (very light) for calibre. 95gr in 6.5mm and 62 or 69gr in .243 for example.
Buying them is also really straightforward. Johan at Tiemens & Tiemens in Holland is the distributor and is very responsive by email in English (but the website is poor). He’ll provide a quote and availability pretty quickly if you drop him a message. He needs a copy of your FAC by email then will sort out all the paperwork and send them out for a flat delivery cost of 10Euros. Payment is in Euros and is really straightforward through a site like Wetransfer.com.

GS Custom has a novel load development technique, based on max velocity. You need a chronograph. Details here - it's not as confusing at it sounds initially! GS CUSTOM BULLETS - Load Guide for HV, FN and SP Bullets

Basically they give a starting load (weight) and maximum velocity for a bunch of powders in each calibre (with figures to add / subtract for different barrel lengths). You work out the maximum velocity for your barrel length then work up from the starting load in 0.5gr increments until your velocity reaches MAX (single shots at each charge weight) then back off to a charge weight that gives you about 100fps less than MAX. You don't shoot groups or check accuracy at this stage. A point to note, the start load in 260rem gave higher than the recommended velocity in my rifle (not higher than MAX) so you need to be slightly cautious as with everything in reloading! This process took me 4 rounds.

Once you’ve settled on a charge weight you then tune the load for accuracy by using seating depth.

I need to tinker with the seating depths some more in the 260 as they are acceptable but I think I can do better. This was one of the groups I shot with the '284. Note - by using the GS guide, these were shots 20-24 of the load development process. 5th shot nerves :lol:

4050B8D9-D4C8-4660-88BF-552893427DA8.jpeg

Thanks for posting. I am doing the same just been slow to load and test initial rounds for speed, but I would concur with your experiences to this point. Looks like good accuracy - hope mine goes as well!

Try something around 40-41 g vit 140 with your 260 and the 95 GS custom (HV)

(Usual safety caveat applies here )

You should see 2950-3100 - then play with seat depth in .030” increment (alway leave two drive bands in case neck and don’t be afraid to jump them a long way )

Try something around 40-41 g vit 140 with your 260 and the 95 GS custom (HV)

(Usual safety caveat applies here )

You should see 2950-3100 - then play with seat depth in .030” increment (alway leave two drive bands in case neck and don’t be afraid to jump them a long way )

I think I’ve now got most other Vit powders but not N140 ☹️ I’m trying N530 at the minute (was a recommended powder on GS site) - around 3150fps. I want to re-shoot some groups around 100thou jump as they were looking quite consistent (but the rifle was getting hot and I was pushed for time - not a great combo!).

Back