Guide stalker tip

UK Outfitters

Virbius

Morning all,
I've got a morning stalk coming up at Hockwold, what is the current suggested amount for a tip for the guide? The last time I went I saw plenty of deer, got my rifle onto sticks twice, sadly not a safe/humane shot presented itself, I only had £20 with me so gave that as a tip. Does that sound about right or am I off the mark?

supersport

Morning all,
I've got a morning stalk coming up at Hockwold, what is the current suggested amount for a tip for the guide? The last time I went I saw plenty of deer, got my rifle onto sticks twice, sadly not a safe/humane shot presented itself, I only had £20 with me so gave that as a tip. Does that sound about right or am I off the mark?
A very emotive subject there’s no rule of thumb when tipping just don’t be tight with your tip it won’t help if you want to go back if you’ve had a good time give a good tip £££ SS

Dexter

A very emotive subject there’s no rule of thumb when tipping just don’t be tight with your tip it won’t help if you want to go back if you’ve had a good time give a good tip £££ SS
The trouble is knowing what is tight! £20 or £50? Personally I wouldn't have a clue either.

geoshot

There's no hard and fast rule re tipping anywhere, though some sporting outfitters - typically in the USA or where American clients predominate - do "suggest" a level of tipping and in some cases it can be quite hefty, 25-30%, especially in the world of big game fishing.
Tipping seems to be a bit of a no-no in Scandinavia, I've seen instances where an attempt to tip was taken as an insult - the guides are paid a wage and that's enough apparently, clearly a major cultural difference there
Elsewhere a reasonable rule of thumb is around 10% of the fee, ie a tenner for a £100 stalk
£20 for a morning stalk here in the UK seems like a pretty good tip to me, hopefully no one would be offended by that
Just bite the bullet and ask if you want to clarify

If you do a search there have been a couple of threads on this subject, it tends to divide opinion - like quite a few subjects on SD :)

User00025

Morning all,

Taking it that Hockwold is a BASC stalking ground. Who is the "Guide"? If you are a member and paying BASC I would not tip. Anywhere else ie private estate tip the keeper/stalker.
Must now take a young chap out stalking, he won't tip because it's a job to be done, and he is good at it.

monarman

Tips vary..... it's down to how much you've enjoyed yourself as much as anything.
Any tip is well appreciated as a guide wether its 20 quid or more... or in my case when I guide the lads pay for a nice evening meal and couple of beers .... I'm happy regardless.

dunwater

£10- £20 for the morning seems about right if the guide stayed with you and it was stalking not high seat and you had a good outing. I personally regard the tip as a reward for services rendered, not something that's an automatic entitlement.
Unless I'm in the USA or on a driven shoot, then tipping all and sundry is just part of the day's expenses.

Apthorpe

I'd tip what you feel is appropriate. It's a personal gesture of appreciation and therefore has as much to do with you. I expect and would hope that most guides/stalkers/keepers have an eye for affordability. They usually have a good eye for distinguishing between their wealthier and less wealthy clients. I'd appreciate a tip of a tenner from, e.g., a farm worker who turned up in an old banger, more than I'd appreciate £50 from a banker, who turned up in a new Range Rover. The number isn't so important, as the degree of appreciation or respect that it shows. Perhaps 2 hrs of your earnings would be a good tip.

It is a reward for the service, and if you think he was very good, then perhaps stretch yourself a little. As others say, it may come back to help you in the future, whether he is more keen to take future bookings, or in some other way.

White Hart

This is always a difficult one and I think it varies on what you doing, so Id say Lowland is different to Highland stalking for instance. Not denying that someone in a Lowland environment doesn't put the hours in not saying that at all but for me the Highland guys earn a good tip its hard work. Also typically you've got them all day where as Lowland might be a morning / evening.

Looking at pheasant shooting as a guide a team of guns on say on a 120 bird day may tip £20 - 30 each to the keeper? As another example I load from time to time, the gun has my attention for the day id expect a tip in the £000's

So I transpose this over to lowland stalking, morning / evening = 00's, all day Highland stalking = 000's. The obvious caveat to this though is if I feel im getting value for money...

sh1kar

FWIW and to help OP I personally tip c £25-£30 a day in highlands on hinds and £40-£50 on stags where I am usually there for a week and have been out all day with the stalker and we have had a reasonable level of success by the end of the week. I would also expect to take him/her and their partner for a decent meal and usually take up a couple of bottles of decent whiskey for the larder as well

S

New Avon Arms