HWV for rehoming

nun_hunter

It is after much deliberation between my wife and I with and with a heavy heart we have decided the best thing is to rehome our 2 year old spayed HWV bitch. My wife admits she never had time to get over the sudden passing of our previous dog and as such has never bonded with our new dog and this has led to numerous disagreements over the last two years.

I have grown up with dogs and love them but I’ve found myself becoming more and more frustrated with our HWV as instead of bringing a calming and loving influence she is just 100% on the go 100% of the time. I knew about the “Velcro Vizsla” and how they love human company but I’m struggling with how needy she is. I can’t adjust my position on the sofa without her getting up, trying to climb on me, whining or bringing me a shoe. Having guests to the house is a nightmare as she will not leave them alone at all.

I think part the issue is she isn’t mentally stimulated enough while I’m out at work even though my wife is at home all day as she hasn’t got the bond with her so isn’t interested in training or spending time with her. I love taking her out and had plans for her to be my stalking companion for years to come and out ide the house she is pretty much all I could ask for. She is amazing with other dogs, hunts and covers ground with ease, greets people better than I could have hoped for but at home (which is 85% of the time) she is stressing out the whole family. She barks at every little noise (even when looking at me and I make the noise!) howls, barks and whines all at once if someone comes in the house and will not settle down even in front of an open fire for more than 5 minutes. I’d love to be able to sit on the floor and stroke her or have her lay her head in my lap but as soon as I touch her (no matter how quietly and calmly) she acts like a kid who has been told they’re off to Disneyland. She will jump on me, whining, clawing away. Guests and friends think this is hilarious and cute but I just can’t relax with her which for me is one of the most important aspects of having a dog.

Its got to the point where I can’t see a way forward and the thought of dealing with this for another 10 years or so fills me with dread not to mention how it’s unfair on her. I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with her other than her breed and energy levels aren’t suited to our life and young family. I am sure a more experienced handler with more daily work for her and a calmer home life would have her turned around and be an amazing dog but I’ve reached the point where I have to admit to myself that I’m not capable.

If anyone thinks they can help or knows anyone looking for a HWV please PM me to discuss further.

Sorry to hear that NH. I have a 20 month HWV who was the same but gradually grown out of it, although still spends quite a lot of time on two legs! - he lives outside with a Lab. Out of interest when was she spayed? - I have heard that if too early it can "trap the puppy in her" particularly as HWVs take so long to grow up

I wish you and the dog well and a successful outcome all round

S

She was spayed 3 months after her first season when she was about 16 months old. I have been hoping she will get better as she got a little older but it hasn't helped yet. The biggest issue is that my wife and I aren't a solid team on how to deal with her so I feel like I'm on the back foot most the time which makes it infinitely harder.

It is after much deliberation between my wife and I with and with a heavy heart we have decided the best thing is to rehome our 2 year old spayed HWV bitch. My wife admits she never had time to get over the sudden passing of our previous dog and as such has never bonded with our new dog and this has led to numerous disagreements over the last two years.

I have grown up with dogs and love them but I’ve found myself becoming more and more frustrated with our HWV as instead of bringing a calming and loving influence she is just 100% on the go 100% of the time. I knew about the “Velcro Vizsla” and how they love human company but I’m struggling with how needy she is. I can’t adjust my position on the sofa without her getting up, trying to climb on me, whining or bringing me a shoe. Having guests to the house is a nightmare as she will not leave them alone at all.

I think part the issue is she isn’t mentally stimulated enough while I’m out at work even though my wife is at home all day as she hasn’t got the bond with her so isn’t interested in training or spending time with her. I love taking her out and had plans for her to be my stalking companion for years to come and out ide the house she is pretty much all I could ask for. She is amazing with other dogs, hunts and covers ground with ease, greets people better than I could have hoped for but at home (which is 85% of the time) she is stressing out the whole family. She barks at every little noise (even when looking at me and I make the noise!) howls, barks and whines all at once if someone comes in the house and will not settle down even in front of an open fire for more than 5 minutes. I’d love to be able to sit on the floor and stroke her or have her lay her head in my lap but as soon as I touch her (no matter how quietly and calmly) she acts like a kid who has been told they’re off to Disneyland. She will jump on me, whining, clawing away. Guests and friends think this is hilarious and cute but I just can’t relax with her which for me is one of the most important aspects of having a dog.

Its got to the point where I can’t see a way forward and the thought of dealing with this for another 10 years or so fills me with dread not to mention how it’s unfair on her. I don’t think there is anything inherently wrong with her other than her breed and energy levels aren’t suited to our life and young family. I am sure a more experienced handler with more daily work for her and a calmer home life would have her turned around and be an amazing dog but I’ve reached the point where I have to admit to myself that I’m not capable.

If anyone thinks they can help or knows anyone looking for a HWV please PM me to discuss further.

I sort of understand your pain. They are very different from what I am used to. I too have a young Vizsla bitch and can certainly understand folks finding them a little hard work. The only thing I could come up with was if you could place the girl with someone who has an older slightly less exuberant version, in the hope that this may slow her down a bit.

Last edited:
She's a lovely dog, very friendly. Great shame that you've had to make this tough decision but for the right owner I think she'd make a fantastic companion

I sort of understand your pain. They are very different from what I am used to. I too have a young Vizsla bitch and can certainly understand folks finding them a little hard work. The only thing I could come up with was if you could place the girl with someone who has an older slightly less exuberant version, in the hope that this may slow her down a bit.

I have another maybe more feasible suggestion. We have found her restless and will not stay in one place very long. Consequently we have made two places for her and she can always crash in front of the Aga. Can you make a number of comfortable locations for her? The allows our dog to move from one place to another without being under a humans feet all of the time. 15747934895311221638706055580802.jpg15747935205639067056886446336243.jpg

Difficult decision for you to make, but it sounds like the right one. Respect :tiphat:

Its a horrible feeling rehoming your friend ,but we had this issue due to a change to 12 hour shifts and the little fella now lives the dream on Tim and Dots farm<cheers VSS > .And weve become good friends through our needing a safe place for charlie and their dog passing .You totally do the right thing and i hope you meet someone as caring and understanding as Tim and Dot to take on your dog atb Iain and Debbie

Sorry to hear that, I know how long you wanted that dog for but I know exactly what’s it’s like when you don’t bond with your dog. My Weimaraner will be 6 in March and she worships the ground I walk on but she tries so hard to please she constantly messes up, she is that 100 mph dog constantly on the go. As a result I’ve almost gone off shooting altogether and only taken 4 roe this year. Lucky for her she is fantastic in the house and the wife is home most of the time so she will live out her life as a pet that occasionally goes out stalking.
Hope you are well and find the best result for all
Wingy

I salute you for recognizing your situation, and for trying to rehome. From experience, I know this is not easy to do.

I had to do likewise 10 years ago with a Springer. She was 100% on the go 100% of the time, but this was my fault for not holding my ground. My new wife wanted a puppy and I didn't. I gave in and the wife was going to train, walk etc. It didn't go well and I had to take over, but I was a serving police officer working shifts. So when I was home, the dog would not give me any peace. Barking in the night to get me to come down so we searched for prowlers together. It was relentless every night and we now had a new baby,...

She went to a couple who lived on the coast and they had another Springer. She had/has a good life. I now have a lab whom I trained, all is well.

Back