InfiRay Finder FH25R Thermal

activeviii

Does anyone use one of these.

Trying to find real world information, not what the blurr says.

I have using the pulsar 30v lite for a long time. I fancy a change but not sure yet, I need convincing.

What's the battery life like, is there a way you can turn off the screen when not in use and quick press to turn all back on.

What's the image quality like or what on the pulsar range would it be like.

On the pulsar I'm using at the moment I can get through a battery and half a night. In winter on a full night then both the battery packs will get used.

Ideally it would be nice to borrow one for a week on loan to test before I part with the hard earned.

Any input please peoples

MIKEC

Not sure how far you are from dauntsy guns but they had them in stock last time I was there,

I had a look through the Fh25 and was very impressed with the image and size compared to my axion XQ38, if I didn’t have the axion already I would have been chosen the Iray over the pulsar.

Not sure on the battery life etc but I’m sure a call or visit to dauntsy will answer your questions 👍

Mike.

Jeff8861

Battery life 6 to 8hrs image is really good on the fh25r 640 core. The lrf can be temperamental. Very small and light

activeviii

Not sure how far you are from dauntsy guns but they had them in stock last time I was there,

I had a look through the Fh25 and was very impressed with the image and size compared to my axion XQ38, if I didn’t have the axion already I would have been chosen the Iray over the pulsar.

Not sure on the battery life etc but I’m sure a call or visit to dauntsy will answer your questions 👍

Mike.
I've had a look at the one in dauntsey but that's not real world

mealiejimmy

Call Ian Blackwood at Blackwood Outdoors and you'll get the scoop from him
I have not used one, but when I talked to him about them he said the image on the FH25R was excellent on close range targets but deteriorated as the range increased.

Cheers

Bruce

Lateral

Does anyone use one of these.

Trying to find real world information, not what the blurr says.

I have using the pulsar 30v lite for a long time. I fancy a change but not sure yet, I need convincing.

What's the battery life like, is there a way you can turn off the screen when not in use and quick press to turn all back on.

What's the image quality like or what on the pulsar range would it be like.

On the pulsar I'm using at the moment I can get through a battery and half a night. In winter on a full night then both the battery packs will get used.

Ideally it would be nice to borrow one for a week on loan to test before I part with the hard earned.

Any input please peoples

For closer range, woodland stalking, it's excellent, with a low base mag, and good field of view. At longer ranges, The unit has a max of 6x mag, so the image will be smaller at distance, but I find it picks up heat signatures really well at distance, and as a spotter, that's what you need it to do.

If you want a small, light spotter, with a range finder, it's an excellent choice.

So firstly ignore all the videos online with the so called promotion staff, videos are VERY deceiving and they do not paint the full picture..

A few of us all tested various products in field Finder FL25R / FH25R , Connotech TI 35 LRF, Axion XQ38, Accolade XQ38 LRF, Accolade XP50 Pro LRF

What you will notice with the finder is up close the image is very good, this is what screws a lot of people over as they look out of a shop or around people, hard objects and they are wow'd by it, but at a distance it's a totally different story. The finder is super tiny, which is a plus point for them, they also have recording/wifi. The downsides being they have a fixed internal battery so if you run short in the field your done unless you take a power bank, battery life will vary from 4hr-5hr , you have no control of brightness/contrast, the range finder is the worst I have used in a thermal unit, it's only 500m and very slow to respond / hit and miss , build quality is ok better than the rest of the models, although be warned the metal serial plate fell off every unit I used, so glue it on or use clear sellotape to prevent this, as its the only serial on there ! Eye display is fine but the rubber does protrude in your eye and we noticed considerably more eye strain on this display if viewing over a night than other models.

In comparison the Connotech looked good up close, but fell off after a little bit further than the finder, the rangefinder is double the power and more accurate, battery life easy 10hrs, but again its fixed internal, also the unit is literally double the side of the finders.

Axion XQ38LRF "up close" the image was probably the least impressive, but at a distance over 100m and on actual terrain/game it was "much" better than the Finder or the Connotech hence my reason you have to test these units in the field alongside, do not just look through one and make an impulse decision, it also has full control of gain modes, brightness/contrast , replaceable battery, eye display produced less eye strain, much better build quality magnesium unit , the LRF is very good, 1000m, yd/m, very responsive, clear readout with THD also. Like I say up close put against a finder and you would say the finder easy... but longer ranges the Axion leaves them both and in all other aspects..

Accolade XP50 Pro LRF ... what can I say, amazing image up close and at a distance that <25mk 640 sensor pulls out all the detail and is so in your face with the natural image associated with Pulsars over the washed out backgrounds in some, again replaceable battery, brilliant immersive dual display, Pulsar responsive LRF so much better than all the others, ok yes, an Accolade Pro your going to have to sell an organ or one of the kids to buy it, so just don't go using one if your not wanting to do that...but being serious the Accolades upto now have all sold out before I even got them in stock, demand is so high... whilst the finders just sit waiting for homes even when heavily discounted..

They will all spot quarry for you, they will all range find, they are all functional, but there is a clear difference on performance, function, build quality and residual value.

Just some info that might give you a bigger picture from someone who uses the kit in the field himself and likes to give a truthful opinion, some like that , others don't ..if it saves someone throwing there hard earned on the wrong product or if theres better for the money, then thankfully someone has benefited..

Last edited:

Lateral

Just a couple of points,

The downsides being they have a fixed internal battery so if you run short in the field your done unless you take a power bank, battery life will vary from 4hr-5hr ,

I used the Finder RH25R recently hunting boar at night. I was initially concerned about the built in battery. Most nights, I spent the whole night out. Battery is good for about 5hrs, realistically, similar to the XQ38.

If you need more, either spotter needs a spare battery, £40.00 each for an XQ battery, or somewhat less for a battery bank. I bought a small 10k unit for £15.00 off Ebay, I use the supplied neck strap for the RH25R, pack in top pocket, cable to unit, don't even know it's there.

you have no control of brightness/contrast, the range finder is the worst I have used in a thermal unit, it's only 500m and very slow to respond / hit and miss ,

You can adjust the brightness, but I agree the contrast needs improving, but you also have several colour pallet options.

I also agree that the range finder isn't the best, but it certainly works within any realistic shooting distance, so it hasn't been an issue.

The one thing Pulsar do better than anyone, is the speed the units turn on, excellent. The Irays are slower, but then, "on, is on", and the sleep/screen off modes, are both instant.

The XQ is way bulky compared to the finder, and it's a shame Pulsar couldn't have put the RF internally, as Iray have.

Bottom line, try and look through different units, before deciding.

activeviii

So firstly ignore all the videos online with the so called promotion staff, videos are VERY deceiving and they do not paint the full picture..

A few of us all tested various products in field Finder FL25R / FH25R , Connotech TI 35 LRF, Axion XQ38, Accolade XQ38 LRF, Accolade XP50 Pro LRF

What you will notice with the finder is up close the image is very good, this is what screws a lot of people over as they look out of a shop or around people, hard objects and they are wow'd by it, but at a distance it's a totally different story. The finder is super tiny, which is a plus point for them, they also have recording/wifi. The downsides being they have a fixed internal battery so if you run short in the field your done unless you take a power bank, battery life will vary from 4hr-5hr , you have no control of brightness/contrast, the range finder is the worst I have used in a thermal unit, it's only 500m and very slow to respond / hit and miss , build quality is ok better than the rest of the models, although be warned the metal serial plate fell off every unit I used, so glue it on or use clear sellotape to prevent this, as its the only serial on there ! Eye display is fine but the rubber does protrude in your eye and we noticed considerably more eye strain on this display if viewing over a night than other models.

In comparison the Connotech looked good up close, but fell off after a little bit further than the finder, the rangefinder is double the power and more accurate, battery life easy 10hrs, but again its fixed internal, also the unit is literally double the side of the finders.

Axion XQ38LRF "up close" the image was probably the least impressive, but at a distance over 100m and on actual terrain/game it was "much" better than the Finder or the Connotech hence my reason you have to test these units in the field alongside, do not just look through one and make an impulse decision, it also has full control of gain modes, brightness/contrast , replaceable battery, eye display produced less eye strain, much better build quality magnesium unit , the LRF is very good, 1000m, yd/m, very responsive, clear readout with THD also. Like I say up close put against a finder and you would say the finder easy... but longer ranges the Axion leaves them both and in all other aspects..

Accolade XP50 Pro LRF ... what can I say, amazing image up close and at a distance that <25mk 640 sensor pulls out all the detail and is so in your face with the natural image associated with Pulsars over the washed out backgrounds in some, again replaceable battery, brilliant immersive dual display, Pulsar responsive LRF so much better than all the others, ok yes, an Accolade Pro your going to have to sell an organ or one of the kids to buy it, so just don't go using one if your not wanting to do that...but being serious the Accolades upto now have all sold out before I even got them in stock, demand is so high... whilst the finders just sit waiting for homes even when heavily discounted..

They will all spot quarry for you, they will all range find, they are all functional, but there is a clear difference on performance, function, build quality and residual value.

Just some info that might give you a bigger picture from someone who uses the kit in the field himself and likes to give a truthful opinion, some like that , others don't ..if it saves someone throwing there hard earned on the wrong product or if theres better for the money, then thankfully someone has benefited..
Thank you for that write up. Very much food for thought and much appreciated.

The question is, for the £2.5k price, which one.

I need a good or changeable battery
Close work, as long as I can see the glow of the rats when shooting them then that's fine. Need to identify difference between fox, badger, munjac and hare. With the older pulsar 30v lite I have had many wasted walks on to a fox shaped glow, only to find a barber or bumbling muntjac.

The pulsar I have been using over the last year's has done it's job, I'm just trying to decide if I need to replace with a better thermal or just carry on with what I have.

You can adjust the brightness, but I agree the contrast needs improving, but you also have several colour pallet options.
It has no video brightness or contrast adjustment only "eye display" brightness adjustment.

Thank you for that write up. Very much food for thought and much appreciated.

The question is, for the £2.5k price, which one.

I need a good or changeable battery
Close work, as long as I can see the glow of the rats when shooting them then that's fine. Need to identify difference between fox, badger, munjac and hare. With the older pulsar 30v lite I have had many wasted walks on to a fox shaped glow, only to find a barber or bumbling muntjac.

The pulsar I have been using over the last year's has done it's job, I'm just trying to decide if I need to replace with a better thermal or just carry on with what I have.

If you must have an LRF, your stuck with the options I mentioned above or a secondhand Accolade XQ38 as below

activeviii

It has no video brightness or contrast adjustment only "eye display" brightness adjustment.

If you must have an LRF, your stuck with the options I mentioned above or a secondhand Accolade XQ38 as below

Thinking about it, no it doesn't need to have range finder. I guess the main thing is getting the best for the money,

cooper89

I have the 640 model and love it, rangefinder is awkward sometimes but that’s just an added extra I don’t really use

Attachments

• 3C0FC455-6277-4FC2-9718-208275FFA425.jpeg
    3C0FC455-6277-4FC2-9718-208275FFA425.jpeg
    24.2 KB · Views: 20

Lateral

Thinking about it, no it doesn't need to have range finder. I guess the main thing is getting the best for the money,
In which case, look at the Iray E3 max. It is bulkier, but the picture is excellent, even better than the Finder, and definitely better than the XQ38F Helion, and much cheaper.

Accolades are great, had both the XQ38, and XP50. Terrific picture, but if you carry bino’s as well, it’s a cumbersome mess.

I got rid of them in favour of the earlier Axion XM30. Average picture, tiny unit, rubbish battery life, but I didn’t spot, or shoot any less animals because of it.

my main reason for swapping, is I HATED the 4x mag. HORRIBLE in the woods, felt like I was about to bump into every tree, and the field of view was useless.

The base mag is really important, to match the best you can to the type of shooting you do.

Clive Ward

Based on that, I would strongly suggest you have a look at the new Iray E6 Plus V3. They aren't big money.

Now has higher sensitivity, better battery life and an OLED display. The 35mm, 12 micron, 640 resolution combination is about perfect for a do it all spotter.

The Iray algorithm is perfect for a spotter too.

I used to use the original E6 Pro and the few niggles I had seem to be resolved in the new V3.

I personally, now use a Pard SA35 for spotting. It's tiny and uses the same 18650 battery as all my other gear...but not cheap.

Cheers

Clive

activeviii

Based on that, I would strongly suggest you have a look at the new Iray E6 Plus V3. They aren't big money.

Now has higher sensitivity, better battery life and an OLED display. The 35mm, 12 micron, 640 resolution combination is about perfect for a do it all spotter.

The Iray algorithm is perfect for a spotter too.

I used to use the original E6 Pro and the few niggles I had seem to be resolved in the new V3.

I personally, now use a Pard SA35 for spotting. It's tiny and uses the same 18650 battery as all my other gear...but not cheap.

Cheers

Clive
Thanks for the Clive, I think the e6 v3 might be the way to go.
Any idea on the difference between the pro, plus and max

Lateral

Small video I took a few weeks ago, with the Iray Finder RH25R, whilst in Hungary.

It's the first I've taken. I have zero idea if there are any options in the menu, not looked, only that some photo's I took, are only circa 160kb, so very low res.

As always, the picture quality through the unit, is far better than the video quality.

Hunting Fox. RH25R. Hungary