Is it me???

mudman

Seriously, in the interests of biodiversity full sounders of FOD boar should be trapped and relocated to populate suitable habitat across the UK. As the very marginal agricultural land is taken out of production and a slow process of natural succession starts there will be lots of suitable habitat for boar. This might not happen in the near future but there is a great deal of public support (ie the tax payer) for re wilding. There is a growing opinion that we should stop propping up the uneconomical marginal land (uplands) with tax payer support but farm to full potential the productive land (lowland), with tax payer support. There will be many winners and many losers but our countryside may well look very different in forty years time.

Orion

There is a growing opinion that we should stop propping up the uneconomical marginal land (uplands) with tax payer support but farm to full potential the productive land (lowland), with tax payer support.
So, in the context of this thread where would the wild boar habitat be most likely to be favoured? The ‘uneconomical’ uplands or the ‘productive’ lowlands?

If it’s the latter (it is) then there’s an immediate conflict that will need to be addressed, and the ‘rewilding’ advocates may not find the solution palatable. ;)

starr shot

As Orion says once the boar have been relocated and start breeding will the rewilders actually want them culled or just let them get out of control.

sauer

Yup

Let’s help spread swine flu all over the country

Being told there are too many deer yet areas devoid of em .... so why hell are boar allowed to spread ?

Whatever happened to “ balance”?

thomas

Has there ever been any studies on the effects of boar on deer as they must predate on fawns ,calves .
Not that I know of locally, although I heard on the FOD grapevine we are getting lynx or wolves or something else with large teeth to take care of the deer...... Or maybe they are just to keep the pine martins and beavers company!
I have seen boar taking advantage and making short work of road kill deer on several occasions. I have no doubt they’d take a fawn / kid given the opportunity.

riddick

Not that I know of locally, although I heard on the FOD grapevine we are getting lynx or wolves or something else with large teeth to take care of the deer...... Or maybe they are just to keep the pine martins and beavers company!
I have seen boar taking advantage and making short work of road kill deer on several occasions. I have no doubt they’d take a fawn / kid given the opportunity.
"that'll be the pm,s current squeeze, funny how things pan out eh" ;) :doh: