Wanted: Issues with stolent bait from trap (beginner)

Hello all!

Hope this is in the right section...

I have a live capture trap set up in my garden to deal with pesky squirrels.

I have used peanut butter etc to bait it, kept it raised off the ground using small plant pots, covered with a bin liner and weighted down with a rock on top.

However it seems something keeps eating all the bait! I believe the slugs keep getting to it (raising the trap didn't seem to help for some reason. I've tried bird seed and peanuts as well but they always seem to get at it! (plate licked clean)

Any tips for a beginner??

Many thanks :D

Ranger22

If slugs are taking the bait there will be a slime trail. I would think mice are more likely to be the culprits. As for trapping squirrels I can't help you as I never done it.

sikamalc

Administrator
Site Staff
Hello all!

I have used peanut butter etc to bait it, kept it raised off the ground using small plant pots, covered with a bin liner and weighted down with a rock on top.

However it seems something keeps eating all the bait! I believe the slugs keep getting to it (raising the trap didn't seem to help for some reason. I've tried bird seed and peanuts as well but they always seem to get at it! (plate licked clean)

Welcome to the site, but PLEASE make an introduction before posting anymore.

Thank you

countrryboy

Why are you covering the trap with a bin liner ? Surely you want the squirrels to see it ?

We always wrap the traps in plastic, (may even be the law/best practice) but u usually only do a part in the middle (easiest) althou i sometimes do the far end. Idea's to give the squirrels some shelter esp if in areas with reds about.

U can easily raise the traps up as high as u want, u could set it on top of a fence etc or put a backet/nails on fence 1/2 way up. Just mind illegal to re release any caught greys and u have to kill it humanely (ie not drowning it)

Whitebeard

Hello all!

Why are you using a live capture trap? if you catch a Grey you cant release it, as an invasive species you must destroy it by law.

Ian.

Yeah managed to get one yesterday lads.

I used one of those fat balls you can buy for birds and hung it from the top of the cage past the trigger plate, then smeared it with peanut butter and that seemed to do the trick :)

Does anyone know where the best place to post about advice for preserving hides/bones?

Cyres

Best bait I used was whole walnut as very few things can carry one off. Use grip fill or alike to glue one to trigger plate. Use air rifle/pistol to dispatch tree rat when cauhght.

D

skippy1001

I have just completed some research on grey squirrel live capture trapping and have a wealth of information on the subject. If you want specific guidance give me a pm. In regards to bait try using whole maize as bait, it was the single largest significant factor effecting capture rate. Peanuts and peanut butter just increased by catch and was preferred by red squirrels.

apologies if this sounds a bit basic, but make sure the target species can only get to the bait by entering the trap. Blocking off the rear and sides will stop squirrels reaching in and taking bait without entering the trap.

Good luck with your trapping, make sure you report your progress ( captures, locations etc etc) to your local squirrel group. I'm sure they will be pleased to hear from you. You never know some more work might come your way!

skipp

Hello all!

Possibly mice..
I used a cam to record some of my kania traps and this showed the mice helping themselves..