Wanted: Job Opportunities Within the Industry

Please can anyone out there help or assist me in getting a job anywhere working with deer or on an estate?
Any help would be extremely appreciated.

I am an 18 year old with plenty of experience within the field sports sector but keep on being knocked back due to lack of work experience. I was the youngest person ever to complete the DSC1 course through The Deer Initiative we believe at the age of 14 and was the youngest person through the eyes of BASC to complete the DSC2 course completing at the age of 15.

I have my shotgun licence obtaining it at the age of 11 and my firearms licence. The North Wales police said I was the most unique case that they ever had and put me through a 3-hour interview just, so I could secure an open FAC at the age of 14.

Since a very young age I have travelled around Britain helping with the control of vermin and the control of deer numbers.

I am a member of the Traeth Bach Wildfowlers Association, which is a part of BASC, and regularly use the green shoots app and partake in numerous litter picks a year. I am a member of a deer stalking syndicate in the North of Scotland where I help cull the resident Roe and Red deer population.

I also have a lot of permissions in the North Wales area. On these permissions I help control the native species, such as foxes, corvids and pigeons and help with the control of non-native species such as the rabbits, Fallow deer, grey squirrels (of which I annually cull approximately 500-600) and I have been involved with the mink project where we are trying to remove the population of mink too.

Regarding the grey squirrels, I have just finished a 2-year forestry and arboriculture course. So fortunately, I understand what type of damage the squirrels do to the native population of trees and the native red squirrels.

I regularly help on local farms, be it with pest control or be it doing odd jobs around the farm. I have been involved with the rearing of pigs, the planting of crops in fields and the restoration of ancient woodlands (removing non-native trees and taking away some of ground cover for paths).

I help to manage a plot of land in Scotland where we must meet the cull targets. We manage the 2 different species of deer there (Roe and Red) and the males and females. This means that we have several different dates that the deer must be culled by. If we don’t meet these dates, there is a chance we may lose the land. By keeping the cull numbers up, we are protecting the environment and making sure the timber crop will be top quality.

I had multiple projects with different deadlines to manage during my college course. If the deadlines weren’t met it would mean not passing the course. I managed to meet all the deadlines.

Every year I help represent Reaseheath College at The Royal Cheshire Show, where I demonstrate the climbing equipment.

I am IT literate and regularly help people out with making presentations for talks and enjoy helping anyone I can with IT support.

I fly fish for Salmon, Sea Trout, Brown Trout and Grayling in the rivers as well as fish on upland lakes for wild Browns and Rainbow trout too.

I always try to come across as a nice, young, respectable person and I could be an asset for your estate for many years to come.
Kindest Regards,
Hamish

finnbear270

Hamish, you are a very busy guy!, The Lord help all those you will leave wanting by you gaining full time occupation!, If I were a prospective employer you would be taken up immediately purely on confirming your past experience, Keep at it, someone will be along soon.:thumb:

VSS

Hi Hamish, good to hear from you. You may remember me - I was on the same DSC1 course.
There was an advert on here not long ago from an estate wanting a young apprentice. It was a paid position. Did you see it?
Incidentally, my daughter also got her open FAC from NWP just after her 14th birthday, and passed her DSC1 at that time (youngest girl to have done so, possibly?) , and will be starting at Reaseheath in September. Seems like you started a North Wales trend!
What did you think of the Reaseheath course?

JTO

Keep you eyes and ears open, and your mouth shut.
Nobody likes a smartarse. You might be coming across as too cocky.

ckwoodland

Hi all I have had hamish help me with my deer cull in Northamptonshire also with squirrel control he is a hard working self motavated lad any one who employed hamish will not be disappointed good luck young man on finding employment

gsorense

Elveden Estate - Temporary Stalker vacancy
The Elveden Estate extends to 22,500 acres. Home to populations of Red, Roe, Fallow and Muntjac deer, it has an exciting opportunity for a recently qualified deer stalker who has already gained some experience of looking after paying clients. This is a temporary position for a fixed initial term of 12 months offering a competitive remuneration package together with accommodation on the Estate.

Further Information is available from the Forestry & Conservation Manager, Guy Warren. t:01842 890423 e:guy.warren@elveden.com

Uncle f

Wow that’s great advice !!! Jesus you were young once. I’m sure you meant well but there’s ways of saying it fella

Good luck Hamish just be you bud and something will come along I’m sure

sausage man

Congratulations on the new job Hamish.
The hard work you’ve put in has paid dividends.
You’ll be a real asset to the shooting industry and your a great example of what can be achieved if you believe in yourself.
If you need any help just ask!

I. Farticus

That's a CV that stacks up against most on this site, at 1/3 of the age. This isn't "cocky" this is a sales pitch and I think very well constructed...

JAYB

Administrator
Site Staff
Congratulations on the new job Hamish.
The hard work you’ve put in has paid dividends.
You’ll be a real asset to the shooting industry and your a great example of what can be achieved if you believe in yourself.
If you need any help just ask!

Does this mean he has found a position? If so it is good news.

John

VSS

Does this mean he has found a position? If so it is good news.

John

He has indeed found a job, but it's not really my place to say what / where / with who.
I know this lad, and he's keen as mustard. I wish him all the best.

John Gryphon

I believe that he was just saying "how it is"

And if confirmed as all true its a bloody good resume outline.