East Coast Lifeboat

Crocker - Lee Enfield collection - 11th June 2016 corrected.jpg
Like a great many other rifle sportsman around the world, I have a great effection for Lee Enfield rifles. I very much enjoy informal range sessions, formal compertition, and am working towards stalking with these great historical rifles. I have three LE rifles, my No5 Mk1 (aka Jungle Carbine) is my favorite range gun because other shooters always want to shoot her. however my shooter No4 Mk2 is by far the most accurate. The blonde at the top is a No4 Mk2 unissued/unfired/with cosmo and continues to call to me to strip out the cosmoline and shoot it! Any other LE nerds on the forum?

All no4 Mk2 rifles that weren’t issued are commonly called “Irish Contract” rifles. But the Irish Contract ones are identified by their range of serial numbers. There were more No4Mk2s being made, mainly to keep the work force busy at Fazackerly in uncertain times. I have an unfired Mk2 made in 1955 (pretty near the end of .303 calibrate production) that was intended for the RAF. At least it was unfired until I got my hands on it! Nice wee collection there.

Sold my Fazackerly No4 Mk2 just before lockdown, my SMLE target rifle circa 1920’s is also up for sale with a dealer, my P14 sporter is still in the cabinet waiting to be used.

Attachments

• 29A6287C-681F-4B35-82E0-8D913FDEFA2D.jpeg
    29A6287C-681F-4B35-82E0-8D913FDEFA2D.jpeg
    265.6 KB · Views: 23
I sold all mine ten years back. My last two were an SMLE III* that was one where it still was fitted with the windage adjustable slide to the rear sight and had the magazine cut off slot but no volley sights and a SMLE .22RF Pattern 1914 with its Hiscock magazine. I don't regret the sale for simply my eyes could no longer adapt to using their sighting set up.

I'm just putting in my renewal and have put in for two more .303s with a mind to get a smle and a long Lee.
Am I correct in saying I want them for target and collection as my "good reason" ?
Sorry if this is slightly off topic.
Current Lee Enfield is a No4 mk1 * Longbranch "Sheila" I love her to bits.

Last edited:
I think it's good that these rifles go through the hands of the likes of those that will, from time to time use them. An awful lot of them have been, in effect, ruined by being deactivated. Which, in recent times is pretty invasive. Some also have been smooth bored to take shotgun cartridges. Which is less of a crime I guess. But if people didn't possess them for a time then sell them on, then in their country of origin, we would probably be left with a few rifles in museums eventually. There would be some obviously in North America and perhaps the odd Khyber Pass special owned by some shepherd in the Indian subcontinent. Or perhaps a tribesman in Afghanistan. Which, all in all would be a great shame.

I would absolutely love to own a SMLE mk3 that has some true WW1 pedigree. I have a great interest in WW1. My great grandad fought from 1914-1916 with the 17th London Poplar and Stepney rifles, and was wounded twice , blown up and suffered shell shock and machine gun wound to leg. The GSW happened as part of the attacking High wood, which then saw him serve the rest of the war with the RASC.

Sorry to highjack !

I imagine any rifles with that sort of history are few a far between and even harder to prove if they have seen action.

The above has prompted me to put a variation in for a .303 I was going to put down for target shooting on farm land -do you think this would be adequate ?- interested to know what ‘reason’ you chaps have on your license. I’m not overly concerned as mine is open with .243 and .308 I’m just curious really.

The above has prompted me to put a variation in for a .303 I was going to put down for target shooting on farm land -do you think this would be adequate ?- interested to know what ‘reason’ you chaps have on your license. I’m not overly concerned as mine is open with .243 and .308 I’m just curious really.
I think getting a variation could be tricky with the police in the current crisis. I also think it could be a problem asking for a .303 to target shoot on farm land, really not sure on that. Most people who shoot .303 are members of a suitable shooting club. I'm in a couple of shooting clubs and have been granted a variation for .303 for all legal quarry! As far as finding a decent smelly. Thats just a case of a bit of online research and you will soon find what you are looking for. Either way.. I love shooting these great old rifles. Check out county deer stalking who wrote a double article about UK deer stalking with vintage lee enfield rifles!

I think getting a variation could be tricky with the police in the current crisis. I also think it could be a problem asking for a .303 to target shoot on farm land, really not sure on that. Most people who shoot .303 are members of a suitable shooting club. I'm in a couple of shooting clubs and have been granted a variation for .303 for all legal quarry! As far as finding a decent smelly. Thats just a case of a bit of online research and you will soon find what you are looking for. Either way.. I love shooting these great old rifles. Check out county deer stalking who wrote a double article about UK deer stalking with vintage lee enfield rifles!
Thanks for your response , it makes sense. My other FAC calibres are for deer, fox and vermin, so I have a reasonable excuse. Not to worried about a variation right now but is something I could do when the restrictions are relaxed. I would like to find a suitable club local to Essex.

Thanks for your response , it makes sense. My other FAC calibres are for deer, fox and vermin, so I have a reasonable excuse. Not to worried about a variation right now but is something I could do when the restrictions are relaxed. I would like to find a suitable club local to Essex.

If you want to get in touch with a suitable club then try SEESA (South East Essex Shooting Association). Nice, friendly club, shoot both small bore and full bore on several ranges, 25 to 1200 yards.

I've just put my renewal in with a variation including two more .303s. My existing one is conditioned for deer and target. These will be collection and occasional shooting on club range.

I used to own a smle sporter From Parker hale built on a BSA 1913 action for the Nz army. The story’s that rifle could tell.It was still drawing blood over a 100 years later 👍

Back