Magnetospeed Chronograph

CDSG Shooting Sports

Toller

I like the idea of a magnetospeed chrono not being dependent on a good light source, however, does the device alter your POI?

I suspect that it could, given that it will be attached to the barrel/mod. Or are they light enough that any effect is negligible?

Malxwal

My experience is that it doesn't, but that will depend on your barrel length, profile, moderator weight etc.
However, the chrono is for measuring data, why would it matter if your POI changed?

timbrayford

If you have to remove your moderator to use it the POI will alter anyway. I use mine just to measure MV, zeroing is a different operation unless you intend to shoot targets/quarry with it still attached?

NigelM

I have not bought one for exactly that reason. Anything strapped to the barrel must effect harmonics in some way. I use my Chronograph for every shot in load development to check ES/SD rather than just velocity of the final load so have a Caldwell unit instead. That works very well.

No idea whether I'm correct in my assumptions or not, but with all the trouble we take to bed actions and free float barrels it doesn't seem right to then strap something onto it whilst working up a load.

Laurie

It does affect both group size / shape and POI with most barrels. Some seem to be unaffected. So, you usually can't do both load development for group and get MVs together.

have a look at:

http://www.targetshooter.co.uk/?p=2502

.... and scroll down to the scan of the test target for a 6.5-284 Benchrest rifle and load with two groups shot using a single ammo batch without the MagnetoSpeed 'bayo' on and then a third one with it fitted.

paul o'

Nope its never has on my one, i zero while i Chrono and keep the targets then use them to decide the best grouping to later fix the zero for that bullet/load and down range performance .
As this saves me bullets and loading bench time .

Malxwal

I work up load based on Quikload data, get the groupings I desire and that correlate roughly with a what should be a reasonable velocity. I then strap on the chrono (on the mod) and check for MV, SD & ES.

Jagare

When i use my Magnetospeed V3 i just fire the 5 rounds into the back stop. Its only 5 rounds. I won't be going hunting with the V3 attached to the rifle.

Toller

I should have said that it was with load development in mind. Thinking about it logically, it will affect barrel harmonics no matter how light or supposedly unobtrusive it is.

I had an idea in my head of fitting it to my (moderator) rifle, not worrying about how much light i had available and cracking on with load development while recording all the MVs.

I have a light-gate type chronograph just now (can't remember the brand) but the magnetospeed seemed less awkward to work with. Is there any improvement in tolerances with a magnetospeed vs traditional light units?

Toller

OK, on the same subject...

I've just had a quick google and found a product called labradar. Anyone used one, got one? It looks quite impressive - £600 though.

nun_hunter

Remember the sporter only works with barrel or muzzle brake, you need the V3 to work with a moderator. I have seen a link to the Sierra bullet development site where they made an adapter to mount to the front sling stud or picatinny rail that held the magnetospeed in place without touching the barrel so groups weren't affected.

This is the first time I've used a chronograph and used the Sporter model with a muzzle brake to develop a suitable powder charge following the 6.5 Guys OCW method. After choosing a charge I shot a 5 round group with an ES of 3fps. Not sure how much of this was luck/chance so more tests are needed but so far it has proved invaluable in load development.

Flash9919

Back to the OP.....yes it effects POI but in my experience only vertically over a couple of inches....as others have said, i tend to narrow down charge weights by groupings than attach the V3 to measure velocities etc. It works really well but can at times be a faff to set up over three different gun/mod setups.

Muir

Other than being 'convenient' I can't think of a reason to own a Magneto Speed other than registering velocity. At least with a stand alone chronograph (or two) you can determine BC with reasonable accuracy. A step above is the Lab Radar Doppler Radar chrongraph. This will track your bullet to the target out to 100 yards and allow you to see velocities at pre-determined distances in between. They work in light, dark and almost every condition but severe cold. Makes determining an accurate BC a snap and gives you all the other data a shooter craves like ES and SD. Very neat unit.~Muir

Muir

Nice write up. I've had a LabRadar for about 3 months and like it. Unfortunately, the temps here in Montana are around -2F at this time which is out of it's low end operating range of +14F. Battery life is significantly increased if you inactivate the doppler between strings but as written, the power supply is a standard item.~Muir

JabaliHunter

If you find that you get POI issues, just use the Chrono to find your velocity nodes without worrying about groups, i.e. where increasing powder by a few 10ths does not change velocity much. Then without the Chrono, work up your most accurate loads on paper. Then use the Chrono to check the velocity and ES of your 2 or 3 most accurate combinations and pick the load with the lowest ES. You don’t have to Chrono every shot when developing a load.

antsa

Never used to use a chrono. Always shot a series of loads, starting with the minimum recommended charge, to find the most accurate group at 100m. Then I would shoot at 200 and 300m, measure the drop and use the velocity truing thingy in Shooter to arrive at a velocity estimation.

Now I have a Magnetospeed Sporter. Still find my accurate load in the same way then when I'm happy I measure 5 rounds to get my average velocity that I then use to generate my drop table. This table is then printed and taped onto the stock.

The MS does alter the POI on all of my rifles, sporters and varmints.

Cheers

Blacknsilver

Anyone know anything about this make and model?
Steinert Sensing Systems Super Chrono Shooting Chronograph
Found this.

https://youtu.be/-RKuHNX3AR8

Last edited:
Stoney Creek - Purpose Built Shooting Clothing