Making a Rifle Level On a Rest - Scope Fitting

paul o'

i have the choice of glass for one rifle one rail been working for me so far but then again wot do i know
my last ****ed scope test .
and before I get well its off to the left it was development test after a rebuild :popcorn:

Attachments

Sharpie

Sounds like a lot of rigmarole. Why not just line up the verticle cross hair with the centre of the bore, by eye?
As per my first three paragraphs, looking down into the 'scope objective against a bright background. The rest is just niceties that do matter for some of us.

Sharpie

i have the choice of glass for one rifle one rail been working for me so far but then again wot do i know
my last ****ed scope test .
and before I get well its off to the left it was development test after a rebuild :popcorn:

Shoot at a fixed distance, from a consistent hold, maybe a bench, bipod or bags, and you can approach your rifles accuracy and punch tight holes in paper. But not necessarily it's precision, as a system, including the human.

If you're 'scope and mounts aren't quite lined up with the barrel, and you unintentionally cant it a bit without any reference, and you don't just shoot at a precise fixed range, things can get more complicated, particularly if the optics and/or mounts are a bit wonky, no matter how good the rifle and ammo.

It rather depends if an inch or two either way, maybe off sticks, at your ranges, matters to you.

It does if e.g. head-shooting rabbits with a .22 or air rifle at much closer ranges

MPBR, point and shoot, no dialling,is good enough for most stalkers.

Push it out a bit to where wind also matters, even shoot targets way beyond usual stalking distances, then these things do start to become significant. Probably unimportant for most stalking rifle users, but some fox, corvid etc. shooters seem to be quite keen on accuracy too.

paul o'

No shat sherlock pmsl .
look feller you dont know me nor i you but i dont just shoot bits of paper or static targets standing still if you have the skills to place a rail on a centre line with all the axis locked down then it works well it works for me and maybe it wont for you but then i dont know your skills .BUT i dont zero my scopes off the rifle i just set the X and Y axis so its level it can be pointed at the floor but still be level ?

Highlandsjohn

Oh 'deer' I'm so sorry I've been doing it wrong to you all these years.:doh: It's a wonder some of you can procreate without the use of a plumbob and level.john

Edinburgh Rifles

The major assumption is that the receiver, the rings and the scope outer construction are in any way horizontal or perpendicular to the vertical reticule stadia

They seldom are....

Only one thing can be used to reference the vertical nature of the reticule
That is the reticule itself
Mount the scope loosely in the rings
Shoulder the gun
Line up reticule on the edge of a building

Align
Tighten rings using a diagonal sequence

Go shoot

Unless you are waaaaaaay off or shooting at 1000yds it is unlikely to make any difference

Millerich

The major assumption is that the receiver, the rings and the scope outer construction are in any way horizontal or perpendicular to the vertical reticule stadia
They seldom are....

Only one thing can be used to reference the vertical nature of the reticule
That is the reticule itself
Mount the scope loosely in the rings
Shoulder the gun
Line up reticule on the edge of a building

Align
Tighten rings using a diagonal sequence

Go shoot

Unless you are waaaaaaay off or shooting at 1000yds it is unlikely to make any difference
Choose your building carefully.