Met FAC grant process (great FEO)

PSE Composites Limited

Ravelian

For anyone applying for an FAC grant in the greater London area, thought I'd relay my recent experience.

It took 4 months after submitting my FAC application (and after several follow ups to ask for an update ) before an FEO from the Met finally contacted me to arrange an inspection at my place. This is definitely longer than the BASC league tables would suggest the Met average is (about 3 months from application to grant).

Notwithstanding the above, once he showed up, the FEO was an incredibly friendly and helpful bloke (ex-armed response team) who apologised for the delay (apparently my file had been left on the desk of another retiring FEO). He also gave me plenty of tips on managing my firearms security and building on my shooting experience.

Generally he was happy with my security set up - gun cabinet securely bolted into the fabric, separate safe for keys and ammo, restrictors added to sash windows, alarm added to front door and gun cabinet. The only fix I needed was to hide the gun cabinet, so it wasn't visible from a back window (so I fashioned a fabric cover for it). On the psych/health checks, he didn't seem fussed that I didn't have extensive GP records (as I've lived in Australia for 12 years before moving back to the UK). On the paperwork, he mentioned that because I had built up solid file of documentary evidence supporting my "good reason", I was already ahead of the game.

After the inspection he gave me a couple calls to update me on how the application was going and to guide my expectations on what would be granted (open/closed certificate, ammo allowance, usage, etc.). I was excited to see my FAC had arrived (only 2 weeks after the inspection) but blast! - they'd forgotten to add the moderator. I emailed said FEO to ask what had happened. Incredibly, the next morning, he's called me directly to apologise for the administrative error and he's offered to travel to my office in central London tomorrow to hand-deliver a replacement certificate.

I'm quite taken aback to be honest. In this day and age, and living in the soulless urban jungle that is London, you just don't expect that type of professionalism or consideration from other human beings. We need more of that around here. I'll be writing to the FEO's sergeant to give him my positive feedback. :thumb:

Pine Marten

Yes, I've only had good experiences with the Met. I mean, you have to try and think what makes their job easier, and understand that they have other things to do than process your recreational paperwork, but they stick to the timelines they quote, don't come up with creative conditions to make your life difficult, and my FEO is also a really good guy.

Jelly

The Met Firearms team deserves all the praise it gets. The FEO I have dealt with, Robin, is a thoroughly knowledgeable and stand up guy who cannot do enough to help.
My FAC application was sent in late July, by last week I had already had my interview and now i'm patiently waiting by the letterbox for it to drop through. Can't praise them highly enough!

FISH BOY

The Met Firearms team deserves all the praise it gets. The FEO I have dealt with, Robin, is a thoroughly knowledgeable and stand up guy who cannot do enough to help.
My FAC application was sent in late July, by last week I had already had my interview and now i'm patiently waiting by the letterbox for it to drop through. Can't praise them highly enough!

Yeah Robins a top guy.

Had my third renewal fairly recently and like the many above it was an all round very good professional experience.

Like mentioned before, being organised with your documentation and it makes it so much easier for them.

DeLaRue1953

I transferred to the Met from Essex & found the same as above, great service & good people. To be fair I always had the same from Essex too......

1967spud Reloading Supplies Ltd - UK Suppliers for Reloading Equipment supplies, We also stock Bullet Heads and Bullet Cases Guns Cabinets, Night vision and much much more...