Motor oil help please

jimmy milnes

Just been reading my owners manual for the Isuzu and it says the gearbox oil is transaxle 5/30 is this different to normal 5/30 grade as you'd put in the engine please ?
I thought gearboxes and diffs etc were the like of EP 90 and so on so a little more ''gloopy''
Thanks in advance guys
Jimmy

paul o'

I'd just look up you car on a oil change site there are lots on the web to get the correct answer

The Singing Stalker

I could get you the answer in a weeks time when I get back from holiday. I can ask my oil techie supplier who knows everything about everything to do with oils. Talking to him is like the FATHER TED episode when they get stuck in the women's lingerie section and you had the priest with the most boring voice in the whole world. But if you can stay awake long enough you get the whole technical detail and the history of why as well. :oops:

jimmy milnes

I could get you the answer in a weeks time when I get back from holiday. I can ask my oil techie supplier who knows everything about everything to do with oils. Talking to him is like the FATHER TED episode when they get stuck in the women's lingerie section and you had the priest with the most boring voice in the whole world. But if you can stay awake long enough you get the whole technical detail and the history of why as well. :oops:
If you could stand it long enough that would be fantastic cheers

Orion

If you do a search of the Isuzu forums you’ll find this is a subject of much discussion. General consensus appears to be that you use a good quality 5/30 engine oil and not auto transmission fluid etc. Aussie forums are particularly informative.

jimmy milnes

If you do a search of the Isuzu forums you’ll find this is a subject of much discussion. General consensus appears to be that you use a good quality 5/30 engine oil and not auto transmission fluid etc. Aussie forums are particularly informative.
Much obliged

243varmint

It sounds like a mulitgrade gear oil.
Auto transmission fluid is different from manual transmission fluid.
If you put the wrong spec gear oil in you won't be able to change gear.
Used to see this a lot when the run out sierras had gearbox oil changes. People used to put in ep90 instead of MTF[manual transmission fluid]. You couldn't change gear after.

Working in a LR dealership we have loads of different spec gear oils for different gearboxes, transfer boxes, ird's,ptu's active diffs etc..

See where I'm coming from. If it says a certain spec in the manual use it. It's cheaper than replacing the box.

I had a Ford dealer ring me up saying that they had put gear oil in the Haldex unit on a Freelander 2 it would lock up at low speed manoeuvring. Wrong oil, the proper oil is like water, the incorrect oil buggered the wet clutches in the Halex unit.

So as a tech, get the correct oil.

The Singing Stalker

What 243varmint said. I spend about 1/2 mil oils. You can get away with the wrong oil on an older engine but the modern engines? Way to risky. You don't need to buy the manufacturers branded oil but you should buy an oil that has been approved by the manufacturer or at the very least meets the spec. I regularly have blenders come to me offering to sell me oil but unless it has been tested by and approved by the manufacturer then I won't touch it. In my case it is somewhat different as if someone dies from an accident and the H&S identified it as an inferior product then it would be my ass on the line.

gonzo

If anything like land rovers, the oil recommendations change over the years. Even though the gearbox is the same.
Engine oil, gear oil or ATF over the years.

Rusty Gate

Unless your engine runs in the same sump/gearbox together like the original Mini & Metro, No! Gear oils have higher shear protection & anti foaming etc.

243varmint

If anything like land rovers, the oil recommendations change over the years. Even though the gearbox is the same.
Engine oil, gear oil or ATF over the years.
Gearboxes aren't the same they have changed over the years.
All in-line boxes are ZF apart from one in the LM td6 which was a GM box.
Oils have changed depending on 4,6 or 8 speed.
Manual boxes have changed too. LT77, R380 now ZF.

Orion

;)
Unless your engine runs in the same sump/gearbox together like the original Mini & Metro, No! Gear oils have higher shear protection & anti foaming etc.
And you’re certain that is applicable to this particular Isuzu gearbox as well?

Reason I ask is that there are an awful lot of Isuzu owners out there on the www that disagree.

Rusty Gate

;)

And you’re certain that is applicable to this particular Isuzu gearbox as well?

Reason I ask is that there are an awful lot of Isuzu owners out there on the www that disagree.
I’m happy to be wrong, just pointing out there’s not many for sure.

You can go on some of the Oil supplier sites like Miller/Castrol/Mobil etc where some have a link you can either put in the vehicle or reg which gives a drop down list to choose. Even fleabay use a reg system now but I would try a Halfords site aswell mind. Be aware that some oils are OEM only, just to odd to make as a mainline generally available oil.

jimmy milnes

Thanks for all your help guys it's much appreciated, I'm going to do as F270 suggested and ring the main dealers tomorrow to get a definitive answer, it could be a costly mistake otherwise.
Guess I was hoping someone on here might work for an Isuzu dealership and jump in with the answer but hayho no worries.
Again much appreciated guys cheers
Jimmy