Oil or wax

Neoublie1

Hi all

Been doing a stock, and came out pretty well using bee’s wax, linseed oil and turpentine.

0AB2063E-18C6-49FF-87BF-8E8AB9B7B137.jpeg6424E4DE-E745-4EDA-8ED4-C1AED182B0E5.jpegA81E15DA-13CA-4BCB-A408-BA1A998B6DDA.jpeg

I now have another stock to do and was wondering if there is any other method you all would use, oils or wax’s to get a good finish on your stocks.
Be great to hear you thought on this.
Barry

Neoublie1

Cheers guys,
being my first one, I did a little slip up by sanding down a little too much on the edges of the stock, so when putting it all back together the action was a little prouder than the stock.

I see some people use just boiled linseed oil or just linseed oil. Saying you put on 20 or so coats to give you a good finish.
Anyone used just these oils?, or is there any other you can recommend.
I am happy with the one I've done, but would like to try another method too
(will be trying beeswax at some point too).

Olaf

Hi all

Been doing a stock, and came out pretty well using bee’s wax, linseed oil and turpentine.

View attachment 123980View attachment 123981View attachment 123982

I now have another stock to do and was wondering if there is any other method you all would use, oils or wax’s to get a good finish on your stocks.
Barry
Nice work, it looks lovely. Using a bees wax turpentine nd raw linseed oil mix is a nice way to get fast shine. If you omit the bees wax and put in more coats and buffing you will get a somewhat more durable stock at the end of it. Still, a lovely job done there, good on you for getting that plastic rubbish off the wood and treating the wood with what it deserves. I hope it gives you many years of delight and success.

Kindest regards, Olaf

Olaf

Hi all

View attachment 123980View attachment 123981View attachment 123982

Barry
Ps, I forgot to post you this link where I wrote a fair bit on the topic.
Hope it helps mate.
Kindest regards, Olaf

landkeeper

I used to use tung oil gives a durable waterproof long lasting finish
Main thing with doing gunstocks is makesure you have raised the grain many many times between polishings

The Singing Stalker

Nice work, it looks lovely. Using a bees wax turpentine nd raw linseed oil mix is a nice way to get fast shine. If you omit the bees wax and put in more coats and buffing you will get a somewhat more durable stock at the end of it. Still, a lovely job done there, good on you for getting that plastic rubbish off the wood and treating the wood with what it deserves. I hope it gives you many years of delight and success.

Kindest regards, Olaf
Good timing, I have a stock that needs looking at and I was wondering what to do with it. So will give the linseed and turps method a go. I have beeswax but from the sounds of it I need to give that a miss. It also means that the new oak mantle above the woodburner will need a few more coats of linseed. Hmm, just remembered that I think I just used boiled linseed only on that. Wonder if it will penetrate now.

Olaf

Good timing, I have a stock that needs looking at and I was wondering what to do with it. So will give the linseed and turps method a go. I have beeswax but from the sounds of it I need to give that a miss. It also means that the new oak mantle above the woodburner will need a few more coats of linseed. Hmm, just remembered that I think I just used boiled linseed only on that. Wonder if it will penetrate now.
Yah, just give the mantle a bit of a clean with some methylated spirit ( when the fires not lit ! ) it will pull out any oils and dirty stuff. Then just follow the recipe .
Cheers, Olaf