Oil or wax

Neoublie1

Hi all

Been doing a stock, and came out pretty well using bee’s wax, linseed oil and turpentine.

0AB2063E-18C6-49FF-87BF-8E8AB9B7B137.jpeg6424E4DE-E745-4EDA-8ED4-C1AED182B0E5.jpegA81E15DA-13CA-4BCB-A408-BA1A998B6DDA.jpeg

I now have another stock to do and was wondering if there is any other method you all would use, oils or wax’s to get a good finish on your stocks.
Be great to hear you thought on this.
Barry

Neoublie1

Cheers guys,
being my first one, I did a little slip up by sanding down a little too much on the edges of the stock, so when putting it all back together the action was a little prouder than the stock.

I see some people use just boiled linseed oil or just linseed oil. Saying you put on 20 or so coats to give you a good finish.
Anyone used just these oils?, or is there any other you can recommend.
I am happy with the one I've done, but would like to try another method too
(will be trying beeswax at some point too).

Olaf

Hi all

Been doing a stock, and came out pretty well using bee’s wax, linseed oil and turpentine.

View attachment 123980View attachment 123981View attachment 123982

I now have another stock to do and was wondering if there is any other method you all would use, oils or wax’s to get a good finish on your stocks.
Barry
Nice work, it looks lovely. Using a bees wax turpentine nd raw linseed oil mix is a nice way to get fast shine. If you omit the bees wax and put in more coats and buffing you will get a somewhat more durable stock at the end of it. Still, a lovely job done there, good on you for getting that plastic rubbish off the wood and treating the wood with what it deserves. I hope it gives you many years of delight and success.

Kindest regards, Olaf

Olaf

Hi all

View attachment 123980View attachment 123981View attachment 123982

Barry
Ps, I forgot to post you this link where I wrote a fair bit on the topic.
Hope it helps mate.
Kindest regards, Olaf

The Singing Stalker

Nice work, it looks lovely. Using a bees wax turpentine nd raw linseed oil mix is a nice way to get fast shine. If you omit the bees wax and put in more coats and buffing you will get a somewhat more durable stock at the end of it. Still, a lovely job done there, good on you for getting that plastic rubbish off the wood and treating the wood with what it deserves. I hope it gives you many years of delight and success.

Kindest regards, Olaf
Good timing, I have a stock that needs looking at and I was wondering what to do with it. So will give the linseed and turps method a go. I have beeswax but from the sounds of it I need to give that a miss. It also means that the new oak mantle above the woodburner will need a few more coats of linseed. Hmm, just remembered that I think I just used boiled linseed only on that. Wonder if it will penetrate now.

Olaf

Good timing, I have a stock that needs looking at and I was wondering what to do with it. So will give the linseed and turps method a go. I have beeswax but from the sounds of it I need to give that a miss. It also means that the new oak mantle above the woodburner will need a few more coats of linseed. Hmm, just remembered that I think I just used boiled linseed only on that. Wonder if it will penetrate now.
Yah, just give the mantle a bit of a clean with some methylated spirit ( when the fires not lit ! ) it will pull out any oils and dirty stuff. Then just follow the recipe .
Cheers, Olaf

The Singing Stalker

Olaf,
I have another question for you if I may. I prefer a darker stock to a light stock. Can I add anything to the linseed mix just to darken the colour? It is a bit bright for my eyes.

landkeeper

You could have stained it any colour with eg a ronseal wood dye prior to oil wax stage , it will slowly darken with age natirally though

Big Bang Theory

Olaf,
I have another question for you if I may. I prefer a darker stock to a light stock. Can I add anything to the linseed mix just to darken the colour? It is a bit bright for my eyes.
There are proprietary wood stains available that will do the job, or if you’ve got time, get some alkanet root and put it in oil for a few months. I use Danish oil. Someone once said when applying oil - once a day for a week, once a week for a month, once a month for a year....

DavyG

Very nice.
I only ever used boiled linseed oil before, but I tried tru-oil on a 12g and it turned rather well.

welshwarrior

I use a mixture of BLO red oil waxes and turpentine as a hardener. It’s a recipe given to me from a best London finisher and has worked wonders for years

Jelly

Must try some wax. I've just refinished a stock with trade secrets oils, and just can't seem to get the shine I want. Maybe its time to make my own oils