SAA Flight Cancellations

ljs

Hi guys,bit of info I recently learnt with firearms / ammo and airlines ,it is the pilots final decision to accept and transport the firearms / ammo on your flight and has to sign for them when they are loaded onto the plane ( And the pilot can go against airline policy and not accept onto flight if he wishes obviously this rarely happens .)
So every time I board a plane and before I fly I request confirmation from air steward to confirm with the pilot that the guns and ammo are loaded and so far this has worked every time ,it throws the stewardess into a bit of a panic sometimes ,a few times they have actually brought me the paperwork from the pilots cabin to prove loaded ,so don’t be shy to ask as soon as you board ....even on the smaller connecting flights, they soon call airport security if they are not onboard !
Asking them in an Assertive manor “Before this plane takes off please can you confirm with the pilot my firearms have been loaded onto plane for safety reasons “ .......it works ......
Providing your paperwork is all correct holds ups with security should resolve ,I know we sometimes have issues ,I once had a moderator held as the police officer told me only poachers use these (idiot) his superior soon found out and dealt with the situation .( moderators should be on your import request remember they have to be on your FAC here )

Re estate rifles overseas of course I always like to use my own and going through border control and security is all part of the safari imo ....meeting other like minded chaps doing the same etc ,but it sometimes becomes an issue if I am taking an extended trip with the wife and visiting other areas within my destination ( ie Namibia, Etosha ,soussuvlei then perhaps over to SA more paperwork.......) and the worry of leaving in hotels or lodges when not in a designated hunting area , infact some places as we know will not allow firearms ie national conservancies
So last year I went a few times and used estate guns and guys if you talk to the outfitter they want your buisnesss as it’s so cut throat ,so organise and pay for ammo used but negotiate the rifle ,you can generally negotiate thrown in on the deal ,most outfitters have some nice guns if you ask ,even speak to your ph when you arrive who will have his own gun and most are happy to oblige a fellow hunter as I have done when the ph’s come visit me
I think there has been some write ups on here of some of the bigger guns being tried out and I have spoken with a few on here whom have really enjoyed the experience of hunting with say a 375 or 416 on there trip rather than there uk stalking gun ......lets hope SA airlines resolves there issues and other airlines don’t adopt a poor attitude to transportation of firearms ,happy hunting guys !

ljs

Hi Tazz ,gents ,Possible saving worth a thought ….

"BA who do charge £125 a firearms case each way so extra £500 that’s a significant sum",

Just wondering as you know the airport staff are mostly very un knowledgeable when it comes to firearms etc and hand over to g4s ,and not wishing to pull the wool over there eyes you know the routine at check in etc …..
if you packed your ammo in a separate lockable ammo box ie a small Peli type then packed into your rifle case ie. a Tuffpack (www.nalpak.com/tuffpak)as I have done many times would you incur 2 cases each way ,I don't think so (I have never paid yet) ,for the regular traveller I wonder if this would save you a few pounds ,the Tuffpack although not cheap is a great case to travel with if you have a take down rifle worth every penny, you can get your kit in as well (consider how much your kit is worth ), this may also apply to other airlines whom are all starting to charge so worth a thought and challenge ……..
and its one less bag ie ammo case to stress about losing .

Tazz

Yes I read the guide to Firearms on the BA website it also tells you to call them at least 72 hours ahead, they take down make/model/caliber and how much ammo you are bringing, interestingly they did not mention the payment but on the BA website it says you pay at checki. I have used Virgin to take firearms to SA and used SAA to SA and Namibia both were good as was the firearms process. Will feed back on BA when I return as it will be also first time through terminal 5 with firearms

zambezi

Will feed back on BA when I return as it will be also first time through terminal 5 with firearms
I look forward to that update given my horrendous experience with BA via LHR3 in 2018. Back then the BA website declared that the carriage of ammunition was free although LHR3 elected to charge me £125 [refunded on my return once I showed them their own 2018 website].

BA_rifle_carriage_tarriff_2018.jpg

It does seem that BA have hiked their tariffs for 2020. The wording explicitly seeks to charge for munition carriage. I cannot see how you will avoid the £500 return cost to take rifle and ammo given this explicit re-wording of their policy below. So my caution to you will be to get a clear take on whether your suitcase goes on without charge. Back in 2018, LHR staff levied an extra £65 because my suitcase was the third item of hold luggage after the rifle and ammunition. Urgh....BA remains the airline I am least likely to use.

BA_rifle_carriage_tarriff.jpg

Tazz

Interesting point about BA and not following their own web site rules in the past. I am travelling with my partner and we are fortunate not to be travelling economy so both she and I get 3 checked in bags each as our allowance so total of 6 even, with the rifle Peli case and ammo Peli case plus our own bags that would only be 5 checked in bags so be interesting to see if we are charged, I am working on the assumption that we will

tusker

I really do not understand why anyone is even considering BA period! or SAA for that matter. There are cheaper carriers and they don't charge for firearms.
Tusker

Sika98k

I just booked tickets with Ethiopian to Namibia in May. €566 in economy return. No charge for firearms. Although I will bring my own ammunition a couple of the group are not. A quick Google search and a message to the Outdoor Centre in Windhoek revealed that they have Hornady, Winchester and Sako in 30-06 and 375 H&H in Sako. Prices are similar to home. If your shooting factory ammunition that saves a lot of faffing about.

Tazz

Have a good trip Sika post how it went using Ethiopian as an experience of someone taking rifle. The bit that put me off Ethiopian was the leg through Germany where some travelers have had issues with firearm. It would be good to get an up to date view of Ethiopian option. I will post my BA experience and compare it to both SAA and Virgin as I have used both

zambezi

Outdoor Centre in Windhoek revealed that they have Hornady, Winchester and Sako in 30-06 and 375 H&H in Sako. Prices are similar to home. If your shooting factory ammunition that saves a lot of faffing about.
On my last trip to Namibia, dealerships did not have my preferred ammo [I checked weeks before I flew]. But even if they did, I cannot see how heading into a city centre to buy ammunition after 18 hours travelling could be seen as a good return on the £££ a day that is the cost of your safari. Heck, the idea of having to drive into downtown Windhoek, Johannesburg or Cape Town at any point of a safari sounds like a huge downer and can have no part of an African/wilderness-experience/safari trip.

On any safari, as soon as I have cleared customs I want to be heading straight for the ranch! On the Namibia trip that avoidance of time wasting meant that I not only checked zero that first evening, I also stalked into a wildebeest and got him in the chiller.

Taking ammo abroad is not a hassle on most airlines [avoid BA]. Just keep within weight and number limits and pack in a locked box apart from the rifle.

Shooting the ammo you have trained with gives confidence to every shot. Towards the end of my last trip it looked like I might run out of ammo [I had squandered my ammo allowance by bringing two calibres and thus carried too little of either. I will only take one caliber per trip going forward] Coming to the rescue, the PH volunteered some of his Hornady factory ammo. I could not get it to group. When I shared that with him, he said that was his experience too! So that ammo was not working in more than one rifle. My only other option was to use reloads he built. No criticism of him, but I choose not to shoot other people's reloads. I eked out what I had left...

For me it is a no-brainer: take plenty of the ammo with which you have trained, and get the safari started as soon as you can post landing.