Sako .308" Win. 123 Grain cartridges ?

I like 120 - 130 grain heads in 308 because the perceived recoil is lower than 150 - 175 grainers. I've just loaded some 130 grain Speer flat points to try - they certainly shoot straight - just need to see how they perform on deer. - Has anyone experienced them?? - I believe they were developed for 30-30 lever action rifles & do perform well at the lower velocity - I get nearly 3000f/sec from the 308 so it will be interesting to find out what meat damage results.

Ian

I like 120 - 130 grain heads in 308 because the perceived recoil is lower than 150 - 175 grainers. I've just loaded some 130 grain Speer flat points to try - they certainly shoot straight - just need to see how they perform on deer. - Has anyone experienced them?? - I believe they were developed for 30-30 lever action rifles & do perform well at the lower velocity - I get nearly 3000f/sec from the 308 so it will be interesting to find out what meat damage results.

Ian

Sorry not that bullet but the Hornady 130 Grn SP .308 works well on deer.

Yorric; I had some 130 grain speer hollow points years ago and found them good on deer. The only reason I stopped using them was supply dried up.

Yorric; I had some 130 grain speer hollow points years ago and found them good on deer. The only reason I stopped using them was supply dried up.

A bit like this thread then Eldon.:D

I don't know if you had noticed the dates yet but the thread was started in 2009 and prior to your posting today the last previous post was in 2012. Perhaps they are slow acting bullets.;)

Na, its just that they are so good that there is no point wasting time on sites for looking something better
because you have already found the Holy Grail of shooting

I have used the sako 123gr in the past, certainly kill well, but expect carcass damage as below!:

image.jpg

I've used the Sako 123gns on the hinds with OK results but never felt entirely confident and went back to 150gn (Federal Fusion rather than Sako) just for safe, reliable knock down weight in normally rubbish conditions. The 123gns were great on foxes with my old Sako but don't shoot at all well in my latest Sako. I don't know why - the last one had a faster twist rate so it should be the other way round!

I haven't seen the meat damage that Boarboy has but I was mostly neck shooting (probably 20% body shots). They are faster so maybe they do break up if they hit something like shoulder bone. They are lighter to shoot and flat but 308 isn't the cheapest foxing round. For deer, personally I'd choose something heavier unless it's on smaller species although most of my experience is with reds, fallow and roe.

Back